News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Trying to understand the Islamic mindset.

Started by Dave, December 31, 2017, 11:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Looks like sweetto's latest thread has bas been chopped * - after I spent an hour carefully composing a response to something Tom ssid, reflecting that of others, along the lines of,  "Look at what your religion does before slinging shit at others." My paraphrase, but I think all those sentiments and words have been employed.

Part of the problem, in the Islamic mindset, is who Muslims consider to be Muslims which allows them to ignore, by a kind of self-sophistry, the cancer at the very core of their religion.

Even ignoring the sectarian squabble, over a millenia old, between Shi'ites and Sunni, there is still the inbuilt seed of dispute over what the Q'ran says. A true believer, or so I am led to understand, should learn the Q'ran by heart - the reason for madrasas. Then each person should live by his or her personal interpretation of the words. The Taliban (= "students") are originally the product of Pakistani madrasas.

Trouble is, like the Jewish bible, you can interpret much of it to condone death and violence if you accept it literaly. Those Muslims who follow the peaceful interpretations will claim that those following the violent ones are not true Muslims and, therefore, we should not judge their whole religion by their actions. Those who follow the violent interpreration view the others as weak and unfaithful. Each faction feels that they can claim the others sre not Muslims, that they can be disowned, or even killed, with justification.

Trouble is it can be hard to distinguish the border between the two factions from the Western perspective. They do not wear a badge showing their peace : violence ratio so, if there are violent Muslims about all Muslims are a little suspect. How do we tell the peaceful hadji from the violent jihadi if each is simply walking down the road or boarding public transport.? The nervous looking one is likely to be the innocent experiencing anxiety at being thought a bomber; the steady and proud one may be experincing the martydom complex, sure in his mind that he carries an expresdion of his god's will in his rucksac.

I am one who, despite having Muslim acquaitances who are really good people, thinks a little Islamophobia is a healthy reaction in certain circumstances. We have a thriving, and usually peaceful, "international quarter" in Gloucester, from Irish through Europeans, Africans, Afro-Caribeans and Asians to Chinese. If it were the latter setting bombs there would be a degree of Sinophobia. But it is the action that counts, not the religion, colour or nationality to my mind.

* Oh,, no it hasn't! But, for some reason, I got a message saying that the thread did not exist or I was not authorised to access it. So I assumed it had been slagged.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Dave on December 31, 2017, 11:15:42 AM
Looks like sweetto's latest thread has bas been chopped * ...
* Oh,, no it hasn't! But, for some reason, I got a message saying that the thread did not exist or I was not authorised to access it. So I assumed it had been slagged.
So sorry. I merged it into a common thread for all his stuff and will continue to do so.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on December 31, 2017, 12:06:40 PM
Quote from: Dave on December 31, 2017, 11:15:42 AM
Looks like sweetto's latest thread has bas been chopped * ...
So sorry. I merged it into a common thread for all his stuff and will continue to do so.

OK 

No one

It's not just the Islamic mindset, it's the fundamentalist mindset. Especially the religious fundamentalists. Those that take the word of their magic sky daddy far too seriously. Those that are exquisitely certain that they alone are deemed deserving of said sky daddy's knowledge and just how it should be precisely doled out.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear,  whether you're a creatard or a Muhammatard, or anything in between, if there is an actual creator of that exists, it does not need your help with a god damn fucking thing. Nothing. At. All. Ever!

Bad Penny II

Quote from: No one on December 31, 2017, 02:20:36 PM
Let me make one thing perfectly clear,  whether you're a creatard or a Muhammatard, or anything in between, if there is an actual creator of that exists, it does not need your help with a god damn fucking thing. Nothing. At. All. Ever!

How do you know that,
blind and deaf?
I hear his beat
I move to it
Loosen a little,
'n you could too.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: No one on December 31, 2017, 02:20:36 PM
It's not just the Islamic mindset, it's the fundamentalist mindset. Especially the religious fundamentalists. Those that take the word of their magic sky daddy far too seriously. Those that are exquisitely certain that they alone are deemed deserving of said sky daddy's knowledge and just how it should be precisely doled out.

I think there are obvious similarities between, say, a Xtian fundamentalist and an Islamic one, but there are also differences. Historically Catholics condidered all other Xtians and those who claimed the Earth was not the centre of the Universe heretics, worthy only of imprisonment, torture and painful death. The Xtians, largely, grew out of this as direct acrion - Islam, on the whole, has not; heresy (being the wrong kind of Muslim) and apostasy are capital offences in some Muslim countries. Not being a Muslim makes you less than human to some to who killing such out of hand is not murder.

OK, one might say that the enmity between the Catholic and Protestant sects is still lethal but, at the moment, not on the scale of Shia versus Sunni. I think it is far more possible to recocile the sects in N Ireland, or reduce things to a less lethal limit, than it is to recocile the Muslim sects. But, I have to agree, that it is all another form of ideological warfare, religious politics and vendetta hatred that has been kept alive over many centuries.

The world would be a better place without religion (and ideology, and politics). Though some sort of ethical system would be needed to replace it.

No one

Dave:
The world would be a better place without religion

Personally I do not think that religion in and of itself is a particularly terrible concept. Religion in its own humble beginnings was only a means for early humans to understand a world that was not understandable to them. What religion has become, after being molested and raped by the unscrupulous got their hands on it. After they realized its mind controlling powers, is indeed a scourge upon humanity.

Dave

Quote from: No one on January 01, 2018, 12:31:17 PM
Dave:
The world would be a better place without religion

Personally I do not think that religion in and of itself is a particularly terrible concept. Religion in its own humble beginnings was only a means for early humans to understand a world that was not understandable to them. What religion has become, after being molested and raped by the unscrupulous got their hands on it. After they realized its mind controlling powers, is indeed a scourge upon humanity.

Yes, I agree with that. Perhaps it is ability of some people to take the good and make it evil that is the problem. Religion and politics are just victims, if they did not exist something else would be invented to feed some people's appetite for power.