News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

The Ascent of Man

Started by Dave, December 24, 2017, 05:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I'll stick this here 'cos not sure where else to put it. I mentioned Jacob Broniwski and this series in another thread and thought I would introduce anyone who has not heard of it to one of the epic pieces of thought and communication that went to form my mindset. Very dated now, made in 1973, but still powerful for me. Got both the DVDs and the book.

Here is the first episode, the only one that I can find:

https://youtu.be/CH7SJf8BnBI

Oops, you'll have to watch it on aYoutube...
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

I agree, Dave. Bronowski did an excellent job and he influenced my outlook as well. Thank you for introducing this series to our younger members.

Another, equally well-presented series I can recommend is Kenneth Clark's Civilisation: A Personal View.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 24, 2017, 06:08:50 PM
I agree, Dave. Bronowski did an excellent job and he influenced my outlook as well. Thank you for introducing this series to our younger members.

Another, equally well-presented series I can recommend is Kenneth Clark's Civilisation: A Personal View.

Yup, got that as well.

The AoM episode that I can play over and again is the one on Einstein et al, that famous Solvay conference that shaped so many things to come. Now got a small pile of DVDs on Einstein, the history that led to e=mc^2, the famous work of Eddington on his theory and the eclipse etc.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

I caught him in the eighties when I was in my twenties.
Yes it was formative for me.
I've got some disks I copied from ones I borrowed from the local library.
I know I should watch them
I'll let it go 'till next week and make it a resolution.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.