News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Dammit, forgot the Solstice!

Started by Dave, December 23, 2017, 02:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

The first day of light that is longer than the one before it should be the true New Year if such a celebration is to be! That was the day that the old pig was slaughtered and every possible part preserved to tide the family over until the new growth of spring - a celebration at having survived the first half of the winter

So, belated Happy Solstice, folks.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Happy Summer and Winter Solstice!  8)

I am unaware of any summer traditions here, but probably in modern times people gather inside air-conditioned rooms and complain about how hot and humid it is. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

A Bright Solstice to all.  We had some interesting "fireworks" in the sky yesterday thanks to the SpaceX launch nearby.

I planned to stay up to the exact moment of the Solstice to raise a mug of hot chocolate in farewell to the (hopefully) rapidly departing cold and eat a shortbread cookie stamped with a sun to greet the (also hopefully) rapidly approaching warmth.  But I couldn't find my sun cookie stamp and made do with a oatmeal cookie instead.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Harmonie

But I don't want the days to get longer again.  :waah:

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony