Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

HAF Book Club: January Poll

Started by Sandra Craft, December 15, 2017, 08:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Between the World and Me, by Ta-Nehisi Coates
The New York Times - Michiko Kakutani
Inspired by James Baldwin's 1963 classic The Fire Next Time, Ta-Nehisi Coates's new book, Between the World and Me, is a searing meditation on what it means to be black in America today...[a] powerful and passionate book...  [written as a letter from father to son]

The Broken Ladder, by Keith Payne
How inequality affects the way we think, live, and die. Payne explains with simplicity and lucidity how our inequality and our perceptions of inequality have influenced our lives for better or worse. It is an easy read that is most capable of having us examine our attitudes and senses of self-worth.

Crazy From the Heat, by David Lee Roth
David Lee Roth recounts with trademark showmanship and canny self-awareness the antics of the feverishly bacchanalian entertainment world. In the same gleefully honest and delightfully discursive voice his many fans have come to relish, Roth gives readers a backstage pass to his long strange trip from obscurity to rock stardom, his ups and downs with the Van Halens, and much more that will raise the eyebrows of even the most jaded music industry afficionado.

Genesis: The Scientific Quest for Life's Origin, by Robert M. Hazen
Life on Earth arose nearly 4 billion years ago, bursting forth from air, water, and rock. Though the process obeyed all the rules of chemistry and physics, the details of that original event pose as deep a mystery as any facing science. How did non-living chemicals become alive? While the question is (deceivingly) simple, the answers are unquestionably complex. Science inevitably plays a key role in any discussion of life's origins, dealing less with the question of why life appeared on Earth than with where, when, and how it emerged on the blasted, barren face of our primitive planet.

The Invention of Nature, by Andrea Wulf
The acclaimed author of Founding Gardeners reveals the forgotten life of Alexander von Humboldt, the visionary German naturalist whose ideas changed the way we see the natural world—and in the process created modern environmentalism.

Reality check, by Donald R. Prothero
How science deniers threaten our future. The shabby tactics of science deniers sparka this astute exposition of what we lose when science is sidelined.  Delves into the realm of climate change, biodiversity loss, and over population.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

OK, once again we have a tie.  Davin, will you please do the honors with a tie-breaking vote?
Sandy

Davin

I guess I choose, The Broken Ladder by Keith Payne.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Davin on December 28, 2017, 01:25:26 PM

Good choice Davin... ;D
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 28, 2017, 02:29:43 PM

Good choice Davin... ;D

I agree, looking forward to that one.
Sandy

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 28, 2017, 10:58:03 PM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 28, 2017, 02:29:43 PM

Good choice Davin... ;D

I agree, looking forward to that one.

You know I think I forgot to vote for January's book,...no biggie, like I said I like the Broken Ladder, but weird I forgot to vote.  :P
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

Well, I got a Book Glowlight 3, so I'll see if the book is available on that, then it will be the first book I read on it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 29, 2017, 04:04:53 AM
You know I think I forgot to vote for January's book,...no biggie, like I said I like the Broken Ladder, but weird I forgot to vote.  :P

I've done that too, and it's my poll.  Never mind, you can cast the deciding vote for our next tie -- which experience tells us will probably be next month.
Sandy