News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Ticks That Fed on Dinosaurs Found Trapped in Amber

Started by Dave, December 12, 2017, 09:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Tiny fossils preserved in Cretaceous resin include one parasite that was engorged when it died.

Blood-filled parasites trapped in amber have been igniting imaginations since the 1990s, when the resurrected dinosaurs of Jurassic Park burst out of Michael Crichton's novels and onto the big screen. Now, scientists say they have found the real deal: chunks of Burmese amber carrying ticks that drank the blood of feathered dinosaurs some 99 million years ago.

One of these parasites is tangled up in a possible dinosaur feather found encased in a lump of amber. Another was found in a separate piece of amber from the same region and had swollen to eight times its original size, suggesting that it had been engorged with blood when it died.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/12/tick-dinosaur-feather-found-in-amber-blood-parastites-science/

The tick has been named Deinocroton draculi  - "Dracula's terrible tick."

Been a whole lot of ticks in the clock of life since then...
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

It's a pity that DNA molecules are not likely to survive in it, my dream of visiting a park full of dinosaurs has been squashed. :sad sigh:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Maybe we'll find some other way to get DNA. Maybe some of them are frozen. I mean, life finds a way.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.