News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Losing weight with brown fat?

Started by Dave, December 08, 2017, 10:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I have always had a little bit of a weight problem, not obesity but enough overweight to have doctors mentioning type 2 diabetes - which I had at low level, diet conttolled. Also cardiac problems. So this post is going to be a bit "personal anecdotal" with a look for supporting evidence.

A couple of years or do ago I had a problem that made me lose my appetite, going for a dump was excrutiatingly painful and to be avoided if possible. I lost about 12kg over about three months. Since then I have been able to maintain myself just under the BMI for my height (though, since I have bandy legs I claim that I am really about 2" taller than measured!) I actually like my food very much, especially specialty breads and stuff cooked with olive oil. . . Though, I do go for bread rather than pastas as a "filler" in my meals, so a bit of balance there.

But, I have noticed that I have a greater tolerance to cold now, ignoring the cold feet due to poor circulation, warm slippers help there. Also my upper back is always quite warm. I know that I have brown fat because it was visible when a Rottweiler ripped up a flap of skin on my arm. It seems brown fat is critical in both weight and body temperature control, so I did a bit of reading. And found hints that brown fat could be "encouraged", even generated.

It seems that one's environmental temperature can be as important as diet control and exercise in weight loss. My room is never overly warm.

The Scientific American article linked below covers most of the points.

QuoteSupercharging Brown Fat to Battle Obesity
Why turning down the thermostat could help win the battle of the bulge
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/supercharging-brown-fat-to-battle-obesity/
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dragonia

Very interesting!  Living chilly might be more than some people (me) could take, but you would probably get used to it.
Next thing you know, there will be someone getting rich off of a supplement that claims to form "fat-fighting cells". (Can't call them brown fat cells-that wouldnt appeal to the customers!)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

xSilverPhinx

Hmm...it's been a while since I've sat through a biochemistry class, so I may be wrong, but after reading the article I am reminded of natural and synthetic uncouplers.

Brown fat contains a lot more mitochondria, frequently referred to as the "powerhouse" of the cell, and these tiny organelles use oxidative phosphorylation to create more ATP (energy molecule), basically by transporting protons across the mitochondrial membrane to generate ATP. 

There is a natural uncoupler protein found in the mitochondria of brown fat which uncouples phosphorylation from oxidation. In this process, instead of generating ATP molecules to be used for energy, you get heat.

A famous synthetic uncoupler, 2,4-Dinitrophenol, was and is still illicitly used as a weight-loss drug. It has caused a number of deaths due to overheating (hyperthermia). Thermogenics, they are called in Brazil, I don't know if it's the same abroad. It also uncouples the process to get the same effect in white fat cells.     
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 08, 2017, 10:15:58 PM
Hmm...it's been a while since I've sat through a biochemistry class, so I may be wrong, but after reading the article I am reminded of natural and synthetic uncouplers.

Brown fat contains a lot more mitochondria, frequently referred to as the "powerhouse" of the cell, and these tiny organelles use oxidative phosphorylation to create more ATP (energy molecule), basically by transporting protons across the mitochondrial membrane to generate ATP. 

There is a natural uncoupler protein found in the mitochondria of brown fat which uncouples phosphorylation from oxidation. In this process, instead of generating ATP molecules to be used for energy, you get heat.

A famous synthetic uncoupler, 2,4-Dinitrophenol, was and is still illicitly used as a weight-loss drug. It has caused a number of deaths due to overheating (hyperthermia). Thermogenics, they are called in Brazil, I don't know if it's the same abroad. It also uncouples the process to get the same effect in white fat cells.   

Thanks, Silver, often wondered how actual heat was generated in mitochondria. Kept meaning to look it up. Back to exothermic chemistry then? Hence the impression of localised heat in areas high in brown fat, presumably the vascular system distributes it?

Thinking about it, considering all the possible methods of generating heat controlled exothermic chemical reactions are about the only ones that will not kill biological organisms! May one presume something similar happens at sites of infection?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on December 09, 2017, 08:12:21 AM
May one presume something similar happens at sites of infection?

I'm not too sure, but I think it can be due to the increased blood flow to sites of infection, so as to get more white blood cells (which eat invading cells and make up pus) to the location. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 09, 2017, 07:25:03 PM
Quote from: Dave on December 09, 2017, 08:12:21 AM
May one presume something similar happens at sites of infection?

I'm not too sure, but I think it can be due to the increased blood flow to sites of infection, so as to get more white blood cells (which eat invading cells and make up pus) to the location.

Hmm, my exoerience seems to be that infections can cause temperatures over the norm. I have a spot infra-red, optical thermometer and when my foot was red, swollen and painful due to gout (or do my doctor reckoned, I think it was tendonitis) the local temp was a 1.5 degrees over my ear temp. (Yes, I like my toys!)

But, having just looked in the Wiki you seem to be right. I trust the Braun ear thermometer, will have to find a way to calibrate the IR one. Wonder if the ear one will work as a contact job on the skin on other parts of the body? Wish I still had access to the kit where I worked...

Icarus

Dragonia, you mentioned above that being chilly is not the way you want live. I join you in that preference. If I go to hell in the afterlife, a near certainty, I will be in my comfort zone.   

My question to you is; how did you manage to remain sane in your previous, too often chilly, life in Alaska?  Yeah yeah...I know that the temps in Anchorage get way up into the 70s during the few summer months. I am also advised that it is mostly as cold as a witches tit in most of the other seasons.

Disclaimer (witches tit: no offense intended Magdalena.,  We are aware that there are tropical witches as well as Arctic ones)

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on December 10, 2017, 12:57:51 AM
...I am also advised that it is mostly as cold as a witches tit in most of the other seasons.

Disclaimer (witches tit: no offense intended Magdalena.,  We are aware that there are tropical witches as well as Arctic ones)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dragonia

Dragonia, you mentioned above that being chilly is not the way you want live. I join you in that preference. If I go to hell in the afterlife, a near certainty, I will be in my comfort zone.   

My question to you is; how did you manage to remain sane in your previous, too often chilly, life in Alaska?  Yeah yeah...I know that the temps in Anchorage get way up into the 70s during the few summer months. I am also advised that it is mostly as cold as a witches tit in most of the other seasons.

Yes, not only is it fucking freezing, but it's SO dark in the depths of winter. Like the shortest day of the year, Dec. 21, there's only 6 hours of sun. And that's when it's not cloudy.
But it was rough when we would have stretches of a couple weeks where it wouldn't get above 20 below zero F.  But we had good winter clothing, cars that have block heaters, and good heating systems in the house (hopefully!). Other than that, you just get through it. Alaska was worth it in many ways!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)