Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

That's it...

Started by xSilverPhinx, November 19, 2017, 02:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Possible explanations:

1. Vibration from fridge or other appliance;
2. Low level seismic activity;
3. Surface was slightly slanted and maybe dusty or oily;
4. You are simply mistaken about where it was placed and it fell from an unstable position;
5. Intruder;
6. ????????

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 21, 2017, 02:20:48 AM
Possible explanations:

4. You are simply mistaken about where it was placed and it fell from an unstable position;
5. Intruder;
6. ????????

1) Could be.
2) I think this is rather unlikely. I have stuff that are way more precariously placed than a heavy stapler. Maybe I'm getting the physics of it wrong but I would think that round objects would be more easily moved by this type of occurrence.
3) Could be. Wait, are you suggesting my house isn't clean?  :snooty:
4) Could be.
5) Hopefully unlikely.
6) Or...ghosts. :grin:

Dave

Actually, second thoughts, the possibility of an object "bouncing" across a surface is going to be a function of its bouncability as well as the energy in the vibration.. Looking at my stapler it has a plastic base to prevent slipping. If this also absorbs surface origininated vibration the posdibility of travel is reduced.

At work we had a very large vibrating table to test equipment. A quick way to check its calibration was to place a coin on it, wind up the amplitude at 50 cycles and listen for "chattering". That indicated that the coin was being "launched" by a fraction over one gravity acceleration. If left alone the coin would eventually fall off the table.

But it took that 1g+ acceleration to achieve travel. That is quite noticeable at low frequency, at higher frequencies less amplitude is needed but a  "resonance" effect comes into play. There is a loose component in the external part of the balanced flue of my gas heater. Aluminium plate probably weighing 50 grams or more. If a prop driven aircraft flies over, even quite high, the engine noise, despite only being a tiny amplitude and minute fraction of a Watt, will rattle that plate.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 21, 2017, 12:09:29 PM
Possible explanations:

5. Intruder;
6. ????????

1) Could be.
2) I think this is rather unlikely. I have stuff that are way more precariously placed than a heavy stapler. Maybe I'm getting the physics of it wrong but I would think that round objects would be more easily moved by this type of occurrence.
4) Could be.
5) Hopefully unlikely.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that it was a ghost. The other options are possible at best, but ghosts are probable.  The matter is settled. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on November 21, 2017, 12:37:20 PM
Actually, second thoughts, the possibility of an object "bouncing" across a surface is going to be a function of its bouncability as well as the energy in the vibration.. Looking at my stapler it has a plastic base to prevent slipping. If this also absorbs surface origininated vibration the posdibility of travel is reduced.

At work we had a very large vibrating table to test equipment. A quick way to check its calibration was to place a coin on it, wind up the amplitude at 50 cycles and listen for "chattering". That indicated that the coin was being "launched" by a fraction over one gravity acceleration. If left alone the coin would eventually fall off the table.

But it took that 1g+ acceleration to achieve travel. That is quite noticeable at low frequency, at higher frequencies less amplitude is needed but a  "resonance" effect comes into play. There is a loose component in the external part of the balanced flue of my gas heater. Aluminium plate probably weighing 50 grams or more. If a prop driven aircraft flies over, even quite high, the engine noise, despite only being a tiny amplitude and minute fraction of a Watt, will rattle that plate.

I think the resonance effect depends on the material too, does it not? Maybe a certain frequency would get the stapler moving without having any effect on the surrounding objects. The stapler also has a plastic base, but the surface it was on is a (clean) smooth granite counter. I don't know, just guessing.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on November 20, 2017, 03:21:00 AM
It was the force. Luke is not pleased by the googly eyes!

Blasphemy. He has lovely googly eyes.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 21, 2017, 02:08:48 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 21, 2017, 12:09:29 PM
Possible explanations:

5. Intruder;
6. ????????

1) Could be.
4) Could be.
5) Hopefully unlikely.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that it was a ghost. The other options are possible at best, but ghosts are probable.  The matter is settled.

It's what I knew all along! My beliefs have been validated.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 21, 2017, 11:00:26 PM
Quote from: Dave on November 21, 2017, 12:37:20 PM

I think the resonance effect depends on the material too, does it not? Maybe a certain frequency would get the stapler moving without having any effect on the surrounding objects. The stapler also has a plastic base, but the surface it was on is a (clean) smooth granite counter. I don't know, just guessing.
Without having to research to refresh my memory: material certainly counts, but I have the feeling it is complex. Stiff membranes (as in string instruments) resonate well and csn oroduce harmonics thst add to the effect, but even flabby structures (like the human gut) have their (much lower) resonsnces.

The shape and mass of the structure count as well, of course. Normally takes more energy to resonate a hesvy mass, like granote, but I will be cagey there. Our vibration table was fixed on a metre cube of concrete to reduce vibration into the building, very low resonant frequency.

Ghost is easiest opt-out explanation here!

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on November 22, 2017, 06:46:22 AM
NO! No, no.
I refuse to believe this.
I rather believe that xSilverPhinx's paralyzed dog has telekinetic powers that she doesn't know about.
That...
Or there is a wormhole on her (clean) smooth granite counter.

But it's not a ghost.  :snooty:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on November 22, 2017, 07:22:19 AM
NO! No, no.
I rather believe that xSilverPhinx's paralyzed dog has telekinetic powers that she doesn't know about.
That...

So it's a ghost vs. a telekinetic dog vs. a countertop with wormhole technology?  I honestly don't know where to go from here.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 22, 2017, 10:34:48 AM
NO! No, no.
That...

So it's a ghost vs. a telekinetic dog vs. a countertop with wormhole technology?  I honestly don't know where to go from here.
Sentient, but possibly suicidal, stapler?

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on November 22, 2017, 10:39:12 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 22, 2017, 10:34:48 AM
NO! No, no.
That...

Sentient, but possibly suicidal, stapler?
OR...or...there could be a pack rat in the house! Maybe it tried to take the stapler but it was too heavy.  :eyebrow:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on November 22, 2017, 02:01:36 PM
OR...or...there could be a pack rat in the house! Maybe it tried to take the stapler but it was too heavy.  :eyebrow:

But what would a rat have to staple?  :thinking:
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany