News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

I Confess!

Started by SisterAgatha, November 07, 2017, 03:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No one

Just what is that on her face?

Davin

Quote from: SisterAgatha on November 07, 2017, 03:59:08 PM
This may come as a shock to you all but I am not who you think I am. I am not in fact a nun who teaches at a little happy Catholic school.
I am so surprised.

You know, it's like one of the ten commandments: Thous shalt not bear false witness... oh wait, that says the opposite.

Doesn't it feel weird for you to be less moral than all these atheists around here?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on November 08, 2017, 02:52:03 PM
Doesn't it feel weird for you to be less moral than all these atheists around here?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on November 08, 2017, 06:12:45 AM

I'm not a thinker, reader, pursuer of logic, student of history, student of physics, or of astronomy.
I'm an atheists by the luck of the draw.

I'm an atheist by default -- none of the theist stories make any sense, except in the sitting around a campfire with a flashlight shining on your face way.   And that's a very limited sense of "sense".
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on November 08, 2017, 10:41:19 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 08, 2017, 02:52:03 PM

If I'm remembering right from my own Xtian indoctrination (it was so long ago) simply believing in god is a get-out-of-jail-free card.  You can lie, cheat, steal, rape, murder and all sorts of anti-social malicious whatnot but you're still morally superior to an atheist who doesn't do any of those things.  It's the biggest of the loopholes I was asking "Sister" about.
Sandy

SisterAgatha

OK. I guess I have a little explaining to do.

Why did I choose to pose as a nun? Just for giggles really.

Being somebody like Pope Francis would blow my cover completely.

I thought Id pose as a nun from a Catholic school, just because I thought it was funny and seemed plausible enough for me not to be recognized immediately. Just FYI I think there are very few (if any) Catholic schools that are run in the way "mine" was.

I was really just aping/exagerrating what was the norm for Catholic schools in the pre and post VII era (1955-1975 or so). My parents have told me plenty of stories about that let me tell you...and it is usually that era that strident ex-Catholics talk about (i.e, big football player sized nuns telling them everybody goes to Hell etc.)

I think Catholicism filled the vacuum in my life. It can stretch credulity but the idea of Jesus' unconditional love, his actual real live presence in the eucharist, the commandments of God (Love one other as I have loved you, give to sick, hungry, lonely afflicted etc.)

I also enjoy saying the rosary https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosary.

It is a lovely devotion and you can meditate on the mysteries of Jesus from the bible.

It is so therapeutic..and really has given me a new lease on life!

Sandra Craft

And as usual, Sister just blathers nonsense and doesn't answer questions or comment on issues raised.
Sandy

Magdalena

It's like riding an eternal unmerry-go-round.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

OK, Aggie, you have just told us that your normal life was unfufilled and that a tale about an imaginary entity and an idealised father figure filled your void.

Just so long as you are now happy that is OK. But do you have to keep blathering on about it like a little girl gushing about her new doll.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: SisterAgatha on November 09, 2017, 01:17:02 AM
OK. I guess I have a little explaining to do.

Being somebody like Pope Francis would blow my cover completely.

I thought Id pose as a nun from a Catholic school, just because I thought it was funny and seemed plausible enough for me not to be recognized immediately. Just FYI I think there are very few (if any) Catholic schools that are run in the way "mine" was.

My daughters were both schooled Catholic, pre school through high school, there were no nuns involved as far as I know.  My wife wanted them to go there because she thought it was nicer and children are her profession so I conceded.  I think she was probably right, a bit more nurturing than the public school.  I pity the lay Catholics doing good work, living in the real world guided by an ideal whilst their daintily dressed betters are fucking children and the niceness ideal.

SisterAgatha, you could have said:
"I'm going to pretend to be a nun, I think it'll be fun" 

Quote from: SisterAgatha on November 09, 2017, 01:17:02 AMI think Catholicism filled the vacuum in my life. It can stretch credulity but the idea of Jesus' unconditional love, his actual real live presence in the eucharist, the commandments of God (Love one other as I have loved you, give to sick, hungry, lonely afflicted etc.)

I also enjoy saying the rosary https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosary.

It is a lovely devotion and you can meditate on the mysteries of Jesus from the bible.

I make beer and drink beer, it's got bubbles and beery goodness.
I meditate on the mysteries of the yeast in my fermenting vessel.

I'd rather own my life, live without a land lord, any kinda forken lord.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Quote from: Davin on November 01, 2017, 02:10:51 PM
I find it a bit suspicious that the "sister" here has chosen an avatar that comes from a movie about a lounge singer pretending to be a nun, and goes about asking all sorts of controversial questions while refusing to engage in the discussion.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Guardian85

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 09, 2017, 02:37:19 PM

Me, too!  :beer:

I'm currently meditating on the maturing of Yule brew, and the fermentation of brown ale. Soon I shall enter the meditative state known as bottling.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Guardian85 on November 09, 2017, 10:34:42 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 09, 2017, 02:37:19 PM

Me, too!  :beer:

I'm currently meditating on the maturing of Yule brew, and the fermentation of brown ale. Soon I shall enter the meditative state known as bottling.

What's drinking? The worshiping phase? :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on November 08, 2017, 06:12:45 AM
Quote from: SisterAgatha on September 23, 2017, 09:53:45 PM
Hi everyone.

For purposes of this forum my name is Sister Agatha!

I am a sister and teacher at a Catholic grade school/middle school somewhere in the midwest.

Forgive me for saying so, but I was intrigued by atheism and athesits, because at some level I don't really understand them.

Now now. I know Im just a little bit biased being a nun and all, but I almost find it impossible to believe that anyone coudl really live "without God".

God is love. God is smiling at a child's fingerpainting, playing a guitar and singing a lovely song, and quite frankly just being there with for someone when the've had a rotten day, and them being there for you. In my mind God is love itself, and for me living without God would be pretty lonesome!  :-[

I suppose some of the bible stories sound a little wild, but I could never imagine living without Jesus. Honestly when I've had a bad day at school and am ready to jsut call it quits, I say a little prayer to Jesus..and I can't explain it..He always gives me the strength I need to get through the day.

I am so happy you agreed to let me post here, and Im really looking forward to some  productive discussions!

Wait...

"Forgive me for saying so, but I was intrigued by atheism and athesits, because at some level I don't really understand them."
?????
Didn't you just say in your "apology" that you, "were an athesit/irreligious for the longest time but lately you've embraced the Catholic faith.?
:eyebrow:

I can't believe anything you say, anymore.  :felix:
I want to, but I can't.  :offtobed:

It is weird, if she really ever had been an atheist then she would have a better understanding of atheism and the non-religious.

...but then why are they always so sad?

Reminded me of SisterAgatha, who thinks that we are. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

^^^
I'm done trying to understand SisterAgatha.  :fingertap:
When she/he says something, it's like this: