News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Is now the time to invest in . . .

Started by Dave, September 10, 2017, 10:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

The extraction, processing or recycling of lithium, cobalt, copper and neodýmium?

China is the latest country to say they will cycle out fossil fuelled vehicles. They are also the world's biggest car market. Those elements above are (amongst others like aluminium, which is quite common in the earth's crust and currently widely recycled) essential in electric traction technology.

Also maybe in solar panels in a few years time, they may become popular as energy sources for charging all those millions of electric cars! Will the day come when some country makes it mandatory that all new buildings have solar panelled roofs I wonder. Maybe even that houses, or even streets, on new developments have to be orientated such that the roofs are at an optimal energy gathering angle, both compass and slope.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

You can get roofs MADE of solar panels for cheap!
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on September 10, 2017, 01:11:10 PM

OK, but that is not quite the same as making such roofs a legal requirement! Currently most of those panels probably come from China and they will still be cheap - some say China is dumping them to corner the market - until the home demand in China eventually hypes the prices.

Later: China's solar power generation has gone from 159 GWh in 2008 to 29,195 GWh in 2014. Wiki  Now add in the need to charge millions of cars in the future.

Arturo

Quote from: Dave on September 10, 2017, 01:24:43 PM

OK, but that is not quite the same as making such roofs a legal requirement! Currently most of those panels probably come from China and they will still be cheap - some say China is dumping them to corner the market - until the home demand in China eventually hypes the prices.

Maybe by then enough people will have 3D printers to make and sell their own solar panels. Or they might become big enough to use at the industry level and out price China.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on September 10, 2017, 01:39:09 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 10, 2017, 01:24:43 PM

Maybe by then enough people will have 3D printers to make and sell their own solar panels. Or they might become big enough to use at the industry level and out price China.

3D printers of the size used at home would take a very long time to make a half decent roof's worth! Not sure if the technology is even suitable. Then the materials supply industry would have to gear up a lot. Industry will eventually get on this wagon, if and when the price and economics are right. Sone places are using solar powered lighting for entrances or carparks, quick bolt-on units that require a minimum of structural work. Maybe the next step will be solar charged battery banks (with mains back-up) for car top-up charging points in store carparks.

One day we will look out over acres of shiny blue stuff from city high points! The Sun's reflection may even become a hazard that pilots have to contend with. Hmmm, airfields might make good solar farms, big roofs, lots of open space...

Later: so 3D printed solar cells are available on industrial sized machines - learn summat every day! OK, might work at home if there are no toxic chemicals/fumes and enough people want to do it to make supplying the materials economic. But then, things like this are dofferent in America, there are many things anyone can buy over there thst there is just no domestic market for in the UK. Watching Youtubed projects have me quite heslous often - I look for items or materials, or even tools, to find they are not available here - except in industrial quantities!

We do not have such a developed and "maker" mentslity here. There used to be three shops selling electronic parts. They all closed but a large group opened a large store not far awsy - I am usually the only customer there when I visit, except near xmas because they sell electronic toys (for both big boys and little ones).

Arturo

Ha. They just closed down the last radio shack in my area. Nobody ever went there because the market for that is all online lol.

I am surprised at the rapid expansion of 3D printing. One month I heard it would be years until they could do ateel then the very next week or so I saw them being sold as doing such as well as the material for it.

One thing that concerns me though for 3D in general is the market for materials. If everyone is using it, how will the supplies and their prices fair? Will demand go up and create an expensive supply of materials to make products? Will resources be used at a faster pace? And create a situation as I asked about in my first question?

The solar panels roofs pay for themselves obviously and no gutters are required. And if I remember correctly, they cost less than a traditional roof. Which I thought would make sense for apartment buildings and hotels/motels to install on their roofs because it makes it more enticing for their tenants.

Anyways, looking at the roof of my apartment, it looks like it's ready to be replaced and/or just replace the shingles because they are looking pretty burnt. Some are peeling off in areas but I don't know if that's a sign of the roof needing replaced or what.

Maybe I could talk to the association (community group in my building) and see what they think of trying to convince people here of pooling our money together to replace our roof with a solar panel roof. That's if my paranoia and anxiety doesn't stop me from talking.
     Arturo The1  リ壱