News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

HURRICANE HARVEY

Started by Biggus Dickus, August 25, 2017, 01:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonia

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

^
I would mistrust that man at first sight I think.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

It's like Jesus taught: "help those in need only after the city asks you to."
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

I heard someone said that he looks like a caricature of Tim Allen come to life.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

A positive element of the horror is that there are self appointed Texas style  vigilantes out there ready and willing to kill the looters. One of the stories is about a looter who invaded  a doomed residential house during part of the hurricane that smashed into Corpus Christie.  The Owner was still there ....armed. He shot the intruder in the head, not fatally but seriously.  The lowest form of life, expendable life in such cases, are those who would prey on the helpless.

Dave

Well, news seems to be that Texas should not rely on the federal government funding their recovery from Harvey.

QuoteWhy Approving Emergency Funding For Harvey Might Not Be Easy For Congress
http://www.npr.org/2017/08/30/547126814/why-approving-emergency-funding-for-harvey-might-not-be-easy-for-congress

And, it seems, Houston was refused federal funds for flood mitigation before Harvey hit.
https://theintercept.com/2017/08/31/harvey-houston-flooding-congress-funds-al-green/

Yet The Wall is moving into its protype stage.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/immigration/sd-me-border-wall-20170831-story.html

Arturo

The wall will be Trump's greatest achievement by far
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Ecurb Noselrub

One positive result of Harvey might be no money for The Wall.  Another is that Houston might start planning better for future floods, which are bound to come.

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 05, 2017, 12:16:09 PM
One positive result of Harvey might be no money for The Wall.  Another is that Houston might start planning better for future floods, which are bound to come.

Hmm, what are the odds on Trump fighting more for funding his wall rather than for storm recovery?

And now there is a potentially huge storm possibly heading for Florida.

Icarus

Compared to Irma, the hurricane headed for Florida, Harvey was a Pussy.  Not to diminish the devastating affect on Houston. That was a different deal.  Wind damage was not the main source of grief there. Torrential rain was.

Irma is a category 5 hurricane at this moment. The wind velocity is 180 MPH... 280 Km/hr for metric folks.  It is a storm of the century and the spaghetti models , at this time, have it headed directly toward my central Florida front door.  Total devastation from such a storm is beyond belief.  Ripping oak trees completely out of the ground, making mince meat of municipal water tanks, flattening concrete block buildings is the stuff of cat threes. Cat fives are beyond anything imaginable. I have  been in several Florida Hurricanes, they are terrifying and incredibly  destructive, but none that I recall was as powerful as this one.

Help us sweet Jesus. Note to Jesus:  If you will help me I will consider moving to Vermont or maybe Saskatchewan.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on September 06, 2017, 05:34:32 AM
Compared to Irma, the hurricane headed for Florida, Harvey was a Pussy.  Not to diminish the devastating affect on Houston. That was a different deal.  Wind damage was not the main source of grief there. Torrential rain was.

Irma is a category 5 hurricane at this moment. The wind velocity is 180 MPH... 280 Km/hr for metric folks.  It is a storm of the century and the spaghetti models , at this time, have it headed directly toward my central Florida front door.  Total devastation from such a storm is beyond belief.  Ripping oak trees completely out of the ground, making mince meat of municipal water tanks, flattening concrete block buildings is the stuff of cat threes. Cat fives are beyond anything imaginable. I have  been in several Florida Hurricanes, they are terrifying and incredibly  destructive, but none that I recall was as powerful as this one.

Help us sweet Jesus. Note to Jesus:  If you will help me I will consider moving to Vermont or maybe Saskatchewan.
Icarus, this looks pretty bad, are you gonna be OK?  :worried:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Yes, I hope you and yours - well everyone really - have safe places to go.

My thoughts can't protect you but they are of you people over there.

Dragonia

Icarus, are you staying home for this storm, or taking off? I have family coming from Tampa and Tallahassee to stay as long as necessary at my house. We will have a storm party, complete with many many rounds of pinochle, I'm sure.  ;D
I do wish you safety and an unscathed property.

Dragonia

With all these natural disasters happening, we should have a "Weather Thread".
"Weather, Whether Good or Bad"