News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

All things brain...

Started by Claireliontamer, July 12, 2017, 08:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

The "enhanced brain" on the way?

This does not fit into the AI thread, or any other I can see, but it does have, literally, a link with the human brain. It is a "threat recognition system" that seems to use the brain's EEG signals to identify targets. I presume, and hope, the brain's owner is allerted then he or she makes some sort of conscious decision as to further action.

But still a bit frightening...

DARPA threat detection technology uses a camera to see targets, software and soldier brains to identify them[/url]
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

If you didn't fear for your life enough....
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

^ O.K. Fernanda, you are our resident brain "go to" person.  While looking at and hearing the video, we observe that there are background sounds, near subliminal, sometimes rhythmic and sometimes clearly musical. .....Question: how does that influence our attention span or more importantly our understanding of the subject matter.  Am I just imagining those sounds? Is my brain, whatever is left of it, playing tricks on my perception of the subject matter? 

This is heady stuff...................No pun intended.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on August 26, 2017, 05:06:49 AM
^ O.K. Fernanda, you are our resident brain "go to" person.  While looking at and hearing the video, we observe that there are background sounds, near subliminal, sometimes rhythmic and sometimes clearly musical. .....Question: how does that influence our attention span or more importantly our understanding of the subject matter.  Am I just imagining those sounds? Is my brain, whatever is left of it, playing tricks on my perception of the subject matter? 

That's a very good question Icarus, and to be honest I can't say I know the answer, but I can offer some thoughts on the subject. I also would like to mention that I had to rewatch the clip to notice the background music as I didn't really notice it the first time as I was paying *ahem* full attention to what they were saying. :grin:

I find it interesting that the amount of music played changes with the level -- listen to the background noise when he's explaining to the 5 year old at the beginning and to the expert at the end. The music is louder and more complex when he starts than when he finishes. As for the complexity of the subject matter, the reverse is true.

This is a hypothesis:

I think since the subject matter is less complex at lower levels maybe whoever produced the video thought that adding more complex music would not impair attention? :notsure: In other words, it's safer to add background music when the receiver doesn't have to focus too much of their attentional resources in order to process what is being said (lower, more basic levels mean less cognitive load, you can have the "luxury" of listening to more complex music then without having it interfere too much with your cognitive capacity). When he talks to the expert there is practically no background music. Maybe that's because at that stage having music compete for your attention would be detrimental and your mind might wander and encode the information less efficiently.     

Also, I might add, I think the music is pleasant (I don't know if you feel the same). Experiencing emotional arousal when listening to music might also help learn, depending on the emotion, the person's state of mind and personality. There is controversy surrounding this subject as background music does seem to facilitate or impair learning depending on those factors and the type of learning or processing involved. For instance, studies on the "Mozart Effect" suggest that classical music is good for performing spacial-reasoning tasks, among others.

I'm interested to read any thoughts anybody has on this.:smilenod:  This goes back to the discussion on multitasking that was had previously.   

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on August 26, 2017, 05:06:49 AM

One thing I have noticed in my life is that certain kinds of background  noise actually help my attention and retention. Mostly the sort of background "hubbub" you get in a cafe or waiting room. I often wondered if it encouraged me to unconsciously concentrate harder to shut the distractions out. Visual distractions have the opposite effect, people merely walking around in my peripheral vision break my concentration.

Later: was the music actually present during the explainations, could the participants hear it, or was it dubbed in by an arty-farty producer in post-prod? The BBC have taken to playing music behind some documentary type programmes (usually iones of a "social" nature), even some plays, and sometimes loud enough for my now less discriminating hearing to have trouble hearing what the actors say (especially bass notes under a high female voice.) This spoils the programmes for me and I (and others) have complained about it - less music in plays, no change in docus.

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on August 26, 2017, 03:30:44 PM

Seems that video is "not available" to me.

But I do know the brain tries to "hear" things in white noise. Ditto when, in the old days, the TV ended for the night and the screen was filled with "snow", concentrate on it and you could convince yourself you were half seeing images from a poorly tuned or very weak signal.

All this digital stuff has taken away such fun!

Arturo

It turns all the sounds of a song (like "staying alive" or the "pokemon theme song") and turns them into piano sounds. You can hear all the lyrics despite them not really being there. Given that you know the lyrics anyway. At the end of the video some of the songs are turned into "singing". I put that in quotes because it doesn't really sound like singing but that's what the creator called it.

I'll post the direct link in case it might work for you Gloucester
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY6h3pKqYI0
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Arturo on August 26, 2017, 03:30:44 PM

Ah, illusions are cool! :grin:

I only heard the chorus clearly but not the rest as I don't know the lyrics by heart.

xSilverPhinx

Check this out:

Association areas, possibly?

Arturo

^ I could kind of tell what he was saying. I heard both. Even when I looked at them side by side I heard both.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on August 26, 2017, 10:51:32 PM
It turns all the sounds of a song (like "staying alive" or the "pokemon theme song") and turns them into piano sounds. You can hear all the lyrics despite them not really being there. Given that you know the lyrics anyway. At the end of the video some of the songs are turned into "singing". I put that in quotes because it doesn't really sound like singing but that's what the creator called it.

I'll post the direct link in case it might work for you Gloucester
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY6h3pKqYI0

Nope, no video. But surely that depends on knowing the words of the song - a rather self-selecting effect? Play bursts of white sound to the rhythm of a tune and the brain will fill in, or select, the notes . . . If it knows them.

Arturo

Well now that I recall, there were some songs my near 60 year old Dad said he hear the lyrics to that only I would know because the are from my childhood.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

I have virtually no interest in music at all, it was never part of my childhood and I never got to be attracted to it as I grew. I own, naybe, 6 CDs and played one of them last about five years ago. If a music programme comes on the radio I tune to a talk orog ir turn it off.

But it is impossible to totally shut out music in this media driven world so, despite myself, I can recognise lots of vlassical and modern tunes and even remember some words to some popular songs. So yes, if I hear a rhythm that my brain recognises, even if only partially, it will try to fill the gaps. I may even remember the title if I think about it.

But it may be more due to a "subliminal" effect, the unconscious absorption and memory of a "passing" experience whilst my conscious mind is occupied with something totally different.