Author Topic: All things brain...  (Read 1117 times)

hermes2015

• Immune to Question Begging
Re: All things brain...
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »
One young lad could hear a piece of music once, play it "straight" immediately then play any number of variations - straight out of his head.

Mozart could do it as child.

Bad Penny II

• Not Afraid of the Exorcist
  • Borderline Troll
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2017, 02:06:46 PM »
NPR (National Public Radio) today had an interview with a most interesting man who had some sort of brain damage as a youth.  He had never been musically inclined and had no particular interest in music although his grandmother was an accomplished organist.  He had a swimming pool accident...diving into the shallow end of the pool and busting his head severely.  After a few weeks of recovery, he found that he could play the piano and play classical music without knowing how or why he could do so. He became a music savant. apparently as a result of a head injury.

Has anyone ever heard of similar phenomena as applied to brain function?  Is there a mutant musical gene, math gene, writing gene,  or something?

It'd be interesting to know if he lost anything when his head hit pool bottom.
Different colours made of tears
These days I mostly I post when I’m pissed ([Brit, vulgar] Very drunk) so I’m liable to say shit.

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Administrator
  • Silly Overlord
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2017, 09:37:46 PM »
NPR (National Public Radio) today had an interview with a most interesting man who had some sort of brain damage as a youth.  He had never been musically inclined and had no particular interest in music although his grandmother was an accomplished organist.  He had a swimming pool accident...diving into the shallow end of the pool and busting his head severely.  After a few weeks of recovery, he found that he could play the piano and play classical music without knowing how or why he could do so. He became a music savant. apparently as a result of a head injury.

Has anyone ever heard of similar phenomena as applied to brain function?  Is there a mutant musical gene, math gene, writing gene,  or something?

It'd be interesting to know if he lost anything when his head hit pool bottom.

Yeah, probably "deactivated" or lessened the brain activity of a particular region for a savant ability to suddenly appear.
I'm just a student of the game that they taught me.

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2017, 09:56:33 PM »
This is a strange area, like the woman who, after a head injury, spoke with what sounded like an Italian accent. Seems it is a recognised syndrome.

Watching her face it was obviously still a painful mrmory.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Administrator
  • Silly Overlord
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2018, 06:36:49 PM »
^ That is very odd indeed.

Must mess with her sense of identity, it must be tough being seen as an outsider/foreigner in your own country. 
I'm just a student of the game that they taught me.

joeactor

• That guy you know.
  • Global Moderator
  • Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
  • Reading Invisible Ink Novels
    • Joe's Dump
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »
This is a strange area, like the woman who, after a head injury, spoke with what sounded like an Italian accent. Seems it is a recognised syndrome.

Watching her face it was obviously still a painful mrmory.

Wow. It looks difficult to say the least.

I can hear a number of different accents in her speech. Her brain must be producing different vowel/consonant sounds than she intends.