News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Language oddities and funnies

Started by Dave, June 12, 2017, 04:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 21, 2017, 02:11:31 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 16, 2017, 10:12:38 PM
Quote from: joeactor on June 16, 2017, 09:55:56 PM
Anyone else notice he's got the same first and last name?

Ricky is short for Ricardo, Yes?

Is Ricky a nickname for Richard (equivalent to Ricardo)?

Can be: Rick, Rich, Richey, Ricky - but Rick & Ricky can also be short for Frederick.

I had a friend in school we all called Ricki, but her actual name was Erica...She hated the name Erica. If I remember correctly she was the first born, but her dad had wanted a son who he had planned to name Eric after the grandfather. So he named her Erica.

Ricki was cool.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Found some images to post in this thread. :grin:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Love the hyphen one!

An Arabic chap, on his first visit to my local English pub (friendly place, safe for women to go to alone, landlady had a command of English that would impress a sargent major) asked me the difference between a "proposal" and a "proposition".

I had to think about it and my answer went something like, "In business (he was a trainee banker) they can be close to synominous. If applied to that young lady one the first might get you married, the second might get you a slapped face." I had to expand of course. He treated the ladies with respect.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

I love how there's a smiley face in the second Japanese alphabet! :lol: 

It seems like those Japanese like to live live in hardcore difficulty mode! Three different alphabets!  :o

xSilverPhinx

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant