News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What Good Is Science?

Started by Arturo, May 28, 2017, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

Vsauce is great. I haven't subscribed to him but I saw his flat earth video. That was a sobering moment.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

xSP wrote:
QuoteImagine such a person in the position of policymaker?

A while ago there was a bit of a campaign in this country to get our MPs to make policy decisions based on logic and science rather than political expediency (oh foolish naive us!)

To this end we all had a copy of, "The Geek Manifesto" sent to our MPs - all 600 odd of them.

I was told my copy had been sent but never heard another thing about it, no press release by the author or publisher, no note from my MP acknowledging receipt... Certainly no evidence that any policy maker even read the book.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

^ I'd bet most did not read it which, I think, is a sad reality.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Think that I have a new science heroine!
Nicky Fox is the British born physicist who is in charge of NASA's new solar probe - and evidently rather enthusiatic about her job.

Hope she gets lots of exposure in TV.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Gloucester on May 31, 2017, 06:42:31 PM
Think that I have a new science heroine!
]Nicky Fox[/color] is the British born physicist who is in charge of NASA's new solar probe - and evidently rather enthusiatic about her job.

Hope she gets lots of exposure in TV.

I saw her on the BBC news earlier and was very impressed by her.  Was going to look her up too, so thank you for saving me a job!

Dave

Going back to science as TV entertainment...

There was a series called "Rough Science" where a bunch of boffins were put in a remote place to solve problems. A bit "put up" but good for seeing how practical scientific minds approach problems. The irrepressible physicist, Kathy Sykes, is the prof of Science and Society at Bristol.

Lots more.

Arturo

That sounds like a good concept that I feel I would have personal stakes in.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on May 31, 2017, 06:59:46 PM
Going back to science as TV entertainment...

There was a series called "Rough Science" where a bunch of boffins were put in a remote place to solve problems. A bit "put up" but good for seeing how practical scientific minds approach problems. The irrepressible physicist, Kathy Sykes, is the prof of Science and Society at Bristol.

Lots more.

That looks like an interesting show, added to "Watch later". :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey