News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Is Uber over?

Started by Dave, March 04, 2017, 10:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Sorry, I could not resist the pun! At least a "make-over" may be needed.

Seems they are getting into problems all over the place. The top man had to duck out from being one of Trump's buddies because of a viral campaign. Then he berated a driver who complained about the company's payment policies. Google is after them for stealing self-drive car technology. Some of thier investors are rather less than impressed with the management . . .

They lost cases in the UK (and France) regarding the employment status of their drivers and over English tests (though I do feel the latter was a bit suspect.)

Now they have been caught using software to try to circumvent checks on their methods.

Not forgetting complaints about their misogynistic culture.

"Uber is very close to the edge," Kenney says. "I think they may be destroying the brand."
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

They've made themselves a nice fat pile of cash, nothing wrong with that. It seems to me they can afford to stop skirting laws that trim some of their profit margin, and carry on.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on March 05, 2017, 02:23:42 AM
They've made themselves a nice fat pile of cash, nothing wrong with that. It seems to me they can afford to stop skirting laws that trim some of their profit margin, and carry on.
From what I read I am not sure about your "nothing wrong with that" sentiment, Recusant. Would you say that about some of the Victorian company owners? One might be able to draw parallels. It vould be said that there is a degree of exploitation here. Certainly a similar arrogance.

Later: I actually wonder if Travis Kalanick, Uber's CEO, can modify his attitude enough to accept a profit drop and stricter vompliance with the law. He was intended as a Trump adviser so he possibly has a mindset that resonates with that of the Fat T.

Part of rhe company's public defense against the "English essay test", imposed by Transport for London, was that it would endanger the livelihood of 30 000 people. 30 000 employees driving in one city that are of immigrant orrigin? But, what I (sceptically) think the sub-text is, "Where the hell are we going to find more drivers to make more money if we can't employ immigrants without them having to pass a test!?"

Those immigrants have to have enough English to pass the driving test - that is reasonable. I have no problem with a written test, provided Uber drivers are not "picked on" as a class. However the subject matter of the essays seems strange, maybe unfair - why should a driver in London have to be able to write an essay on the planet Mars? Asking them to write about something to do with London would still test their ability to do a little resesrch and present the findings in coherent English.

However a spoken English comprehension test, related to what they might expect in that line of work, would be far more practical and look kess like an artificial barrier. Providing all prospective hire car drivers have to do the same, regardless of ethnic origin or employer it would be more sensible.

Oh, sorry, Uber claim that all their drivers are all self-employed, thus it is not really their responsibility. Their employees are responsible for paying the correct taxes, sorting out their own maintensnce and fuel costs, insurance and health cover etc.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

Quote from: Gloucester on March 05, 2017, 07:26:53 AM
Quote from: Recusant on March 05, 2017, 02:23:42 AM
From what I read I am not sure about your "nothing wrong with that" sentiment, Recusant. Would you say that about some of the Victorian company owners? One might be able to draw parallels. It vould be said that there is a degree of exploitation here. Certainly a similar arrogance.

Ah, I should have made it clear that I find nothing objectionable in itself to entrepreneurs being very successful. If they used questionable means en route to their success, that's where I think the discussion can begin.

Quote from: Gloucester on March 05, 2017, 07:26:53 AMLater: I actually wonder if Travis Kalanick, Uber's CEO, can modify his attitude enough to accept a profit drop and stricter vompliance with the law. He was intended as a Trump adviser so he possibly has a mindset that resonates with that of the Fat T.

The corporate culture of Uber does seem problematic, I agree.

Quote from: Gloucester on March 05, 2017, 07:26:53 AMPart of rhe company's public defense against the "English essay test", imposed by Transport for London, was that it would endanger the livelihood of 30 000 people. 30 000 employees driving in one city that are of immigrant orrigin? But, what I (sceptically) think the sub-text is, "Where the hell are we going to find more drivers to make more money if we can't employ immigrants without them having to pass a test!?"

Those immigrants have to have enough English to pass the driving test - that is reasonable. I have no problem with a written test, provided Uber drivers are not "picked on" as a class. However the subject matter of the essays seems strange, maybe unfair - why should a driver in London have to be able to write an essay on the planet Mars? Asking them to write about something to do with London would still test their ability to do a little resesrch and present the findings in coherent English.

However a spoken English comprehension test, related to what they might expect in that line of work, would be far more practical and look kess like an artificial barrier. Providing all prospective hire car drivers have to do the same, regardless of ethnic origin or employer it would be more sensible.

Oh, sorry, Uber claim that all their drivers are all self-employed, thus it is not really their responsibility. Their employees are responsible for paying the correct taxes, sorting out their own maintensnce and fuel costs, insurance and health cover etc.

It seems that Uber could easily afford to drop the "independent contractor" model.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken