News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Your favorite atheist quotes!

Started by existentialcrisis, December 13, 2016, 04:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

existentialcrisis

Hey guys, what are your favorite atheist quotes? Here are some of mine:

Faith: not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Is man merely a mistake of God's? Or God merely a mistake of man? - Friedrich Nietzsche

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

I don't know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didn't. - Jules Renard

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
― Epicurus

Don't pray in my school, and I won't think in your church - Anonymous

There are no facts, only interpretations. - Friedrich Nietzche

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason. - Benjamin Franklin.

Arturo

I was going to put the Epicurus one but you beat me to it.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

No one

Ambrose Bierce:
"Faith (n) Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel."

Skeptik

If it can be asserted without evidence, it can be dismissed without evidence.  - Hitch
The certainty with which I know another man's religion is folly makes me suspect my own is also - Mark Twain

Dear Religion,
Today we safely brought a man back from outer space, while you shot a child in the face for wanting to go to school.
Sincerely,
Science

Icarus

" A mans ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.: Albert Einstein

Arturo

"What is your justification for the scientific method?"

"Well, it works..."
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

The national anthem belongs to the eighteenth century. In it you find us ordering God about to do our political dirty work: George Bernard Shaw.

Icarus

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think that they have found it."  :Terry Pratchett

"so far as I can remember, there is not one word in the gospels in praise of intelligence" : Bertrand Russell

"Faith does not give you answers, it just stops you asking questions" : Frater Ravus

"There is so much in the bible against which every instinct of my being rebels, so much so that I regret the necessity which has compelled me read it through from beginning to end, I do not think that the knowledge that I have gained of its history and sources compensates me for the unpleasant details it has forced on my attention" : Helen Keller

These little gems lifted from  Darrel Rays book, The God Virus

Icarus

C'mon you guys. You must have some pet quotes. You want me to do all the damned research?

Here is another....... not necessarily religious but can be applied that way..

...Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one: Voltaire

Guardian85

"It is more useful to build lighthouses than churches."     :Benjamin Franklin

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."      :James Madison

"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty."     :Thomas Jeffeson

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Arturo

"Forget Jesus, stars died so you could be here today" Lawrence Krauss
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

One of my favorites.

Quote from: Christopher HitchensThat which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Icarus

"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis": Sigmund Freud

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. ; Steven Weinberg

hermes2015

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Arturo

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 16, 2017, 06:29:52 AM
"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

I like that one.
     Arturo The1  リ壱