News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Miscellaneous

Started by Dave, July 12, 2016, 10:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Hi, admin peeps!

Any chance, in the "General" category, of having a "Miscellaneous" sub-cat?

I have to get my washing machine changed, but it has a non-standard drain connection - I need to fo some work ready for the old one to be removed and the new one installed.

How does a 72 year old with a dickey ticker get many kilos of washing machine out of a hole with gaps smaller than his fingers around it?

I have a way!

This, and other wheezes, are a forte of mine and I was wondering if a "Tips" topic might prove useful?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

OldGit

You'll have to bite the bullet and get the job done for you.

I understand - I was also a handy bloke who could make or repair almost anything, and asking for help injured my pride.  But now I'm also nearly 70 and have a dodgy heart, so I have no choice.

I recommend a nice cup of tea, or - in extreme cases - hot whisky and lemon.

Dave

I  know exactly what you men, OG. There are many things that I would not consider tackling now - but lots of them 'cos I just don't bend as well now or have the stamina!

In this case I managed it with only one puff of GTN and one tea break...

So, you have a washing machine that's a good fit under the work surface and in a corner between the sink unit and a cabinet. Can't get yer fingers on it apart from the door and it is stuck down after 8 years being in the same place (gawd, it was grotty under there!)

Pass a bit of thin rope behind the front feet and form a loop long enough to reach 1/3rd the height of the machine. Grab the loop and lift the front of the machine a little then pull with a jerk. Gives a better grip and control than lifting on the door or drum, especially if you intend using the machine again.

In my case I had restricted space in front of the machine - small kitchen. I lifted the front of the machine as high as I could and footed an old broom handle under it, side to side. This made a good roller to help get the thing fully out.

There will be a new machine delivered tomorrow and I had non-standard waste connectors, so after doing what prep work I could, taking hoses off, getting mains lead out, it went back in again. This involved sitting on a step-stool with my back to the cabinet opposite and pushing with arms and legs - oh, I lubricated the floor in the hole with a squirt of spray silicon polish to make the sliding easier.

Now it is just a case of waiting for whatever part of the four hour delivery time slot they chose to appear.

Recusant

Quote from: Gloucester on July 12, 2016, 10:31:54 AM
Hi, admin peeps!

Any chance, in the "General" category, of having a "Miscellaneous" sub-cat?

I've always been fond of miscellanies, so will see what response this gets in staffville.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bad Penny II

Soylent Green is people, so what?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Dave

Well, the new washing machine is installed, first job to wash the two towels I needed to mop uo the water spilt when I drained and disconnected the old one!

Not a girly machine with pre-set programs here! There are knobs and buttons for wash temp, wash duration, wash type, start delay, dryer temp, dryer duration . . .

Suppose there are safeguards - providing you pick, say, the gentle wash option you won't be able to cook  wash your delicate silk undies at 90 degrees for 60 minutes and do an hour at high dry. Then again, I don't wear delicate silk undies.

Often.

Then only at weekends.

OldGit

Well done, Gloucester! 

Magdalena

Who is in charge of "The News?"  :eyebrow:

News:
Nitpicky? Hell yes.
News:
Believe in the String!
News:
By the Grayce of Asmo, we are reborn!

~Just curious.

Edit: Fixed spelling. Wanna keep the Spelling Nazis happy.  ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: Magdalena on July 27, 2016, 11:35:10 PM
Whos is in charge of "The News?"  :eyebrow:

News:
Nitpicky? Hell yes.
News:
Believe in the String!
News:

~Just curious.

Possibly just administrators. I don't remember having access to that as a moderator. If you have any suggestions for things that might work there . . .  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on July 27, 2016, 11:57:06 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on July 27, 2016, 11:35:10 PM
Whos is in charge of "The News?"  :eyebrow:

News:
Nitpicky? Hell yes.
News:
Believe in the String!
News:

~Just curious.

Possibly just administrators. I don't remember having access to that as a moderator. If you have any suggestions for things that might work there . . .  :)
No, not right now, I don't have any suggestions.
Whoever is doing it sounds creative and to the point--I like it. :grin:
I just wanted to know who our news anchor is, that's all.  :grin:

:secrets1: I think it's Asmodean.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

There's the original News about the site being revived by our own Grey Eminence. The String comes from this post, and the 'Hell yes' comes from this post. I assert that these news items are covered under journalistic 'fair use:' No permission was asked of members for the use of their concepts, nor should said use be considered an endorsement by them of the contents of the News.
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on July 28, 2016, 05:58:31 AM
There's the original News about the site being revived by our own Grey Eminence. The String comes from this post, and the 'Hell yes' comes from this post. I assert that these news items are covered under journalistic 'fair use:' No permission was asked of members for the use of their concepts, nor should said use be considered an endorsement by them of the contents of the News.
OK. Thank you for that.
Like I said, I like it.  ;D

xSilverPhinx

QuoteThis soup can't be ruined.

An alphabet soup with only A's?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

— H. L. Mencken