News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Was Christopher Hitchens sexist in saying "women can work but don't have to"?

Started by Fruyian, June 01, 2016, 03:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Quote from: Davin on June 01, 2016, 05:56:23 PM
[quote

Also, I think there is a sexist problem in the atheist community, a problem I think is best solved by having more outspoken women (not necessarily outspoken against the sexism). Because people tend to spout all sorts of bullshit off in the absence of the group they are talking about, but only a few will continue to do so in the face of the group they are talking about.

Judging from the posts from our female HAFers, I reckon that they are definitely outspoken. If you have watched episodes on The Atheist Experience, there is Tracie Harris, an  immensely bright lady who is clearly capable of ripping her adversaries a new one. The same program has Jan Peeples, another capable woman. Those are just two examples of smart and tough women who are normally soft spoken but fully capable and willing to deliver vitriolic response. My next door neighbors are two classy women who are long term atheists. They are classy but will not hesitate to use cutting logic to blast critics of their lifestyle or their absence of religion.

Hitch' comes across as a sexist, something like Trump, except far more articulate. I respect Hitchens well enough to have bought his books, and read them too. He is was a bit of a bully. Well Dawkins can also be a bit of a bully when the occasion calls for sharp response. 

Davin

Quote from: Icarus on June 03, 2016, 09:24:28 PM
Quote from: Davin on June 01, 2016, 05:56:23 PM
[quote

Also, I think there is a sexist problem in the atheist community, a problem I think is best solved by having more outspoken women (not necessarily outspoken against the sexism). Because people tend to spout all sorts of bullshit off in the absence of the group they are talking about, but only a few will continue to do so in the face of the group they are talking about.

Judging from the posts from our female HAFers, I reckon that they are definitely outspoken. If you have watched episodes on The Atheist Experience, there is Tracie Harris, an  immensely bright lady who is clearly capable of ripping her adversaries a new one. The same program has Jan Peeples, another capable woman. Those are just two examples of smart and tough women who are normally soft spoken but fully capable and willing to deliver vitriolic response. My next door neighbors are two classy women who are long term atheists. They are classy but will not hesitate to use cutting logic to blast critics of their lifestyle or their absence of religion.

Hitch' comes across as a sexist, something like Trump, except far more articulate. I respect Hitchens well enough to have bought his books, and read them too. He is was a bit of a bully. Well Dawkins can also be a bit of a bully when the occasion calls for sharp response.
Yeah, I wish the atheist community as a whole were a lot more like this forum.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Essie Mae

He was being sexist IMO at least as far as his personal circumstances were concerned.  It seems he would not have countenanced his wife working even if she were capable of earning a much higher wage than he was able to; a life choice made by many couples today. So he took the old-fashioned view that he should be the provider and she should be the nurturer - fine as long as these questions are aired before a long-term commitment is made. He was a bit ambivalent, saying slso that he was thrilled when women wanted to work. I do object to the idea that women are cooarsened by venturing into the workplace, although I don't know what he was thinking in particular - effing and blinding maybe? Laughing at, and even, FSM forbid, telling dirty jokes?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

existentialcrisis

No he wasn't. It depends on culture and economic status. Some western societies force both parents to work due to economic demands. Some don't.

There is nothing worse than being forced to work.
There are no facts, only interpretations. - Friedrich Nietzche

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason. - Benjamin Franklin.