News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Bernie's Down But Not Out

Started by MadBomr101, April 20, 2016, 03:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Firebird

Quote from: Recusant on May 01, 2016, 11:45:06 PM

That was awesome.
It's weird, I've never met anyone personally who was as blind as the reddit Bernie people are, even though we and many of our friends voted for him. I guess we're too old.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

MadBomr101

That video was great! Bernie's winning again!
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Biggus Dickus

Since Bernie didn't win the nomination, I'm gonna vote for Trump. Also, since the store didn't have my favorite beer, I'm gonna drink bleach instead.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Recusant

I admire a man who's willing to stand up for his principles.  :thumbsup:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Firebird

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on June 09, 2016, 03:03:45 AM
Since Bernie didn't win the nomination, I'm gonna vote for Trump. Also, since the store didn't have my favorite beer, I'm gonna drink bleach instead.

Honestly, by the time the election rolls around, I'm sure most of them will come over to Hillary, even if they bitch and moan about it the whole time. Same thing happened with Hillary's supporters in '08 with Obama. And anyone who says she and Trump are "the same" doesn't deserve to vote.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Claireliontamer

I'm clearly not American so don't get a vote anyway (Firebird maybe be relieved I don't ;) )

I wouldn't vote for Hillary.  I don't think she's the same as Trump but I don't think she's progressive like she claims.  If Bernie isn't on the ticket I'd vote for Dr Jill Stein (Green Party).  Of course, there's a risk Trump would get in, but honestly that might actually shake the Democrats and America up enough for them to vote for actual change in the next election. 

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 09, 2016, 09:48:58 AM
I'm clearly not American so don't get a vote anyway (Firebird maybe be relieved I don't ;) )

I wouldn't vote for Hillary.  I don't think she's the same as Trump but I don't think she's progressive like she claims.  If Bernie isn't on the ticket I'd vote for Dr Jill Stein (Green Party).  Of course, there's a risk Trump would get in, but honestly that might actually shake the Democrats and America up enough for them to vote for actual change in the next election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Nader_presidential_campaign,_2000
QuoteThe "spoiler" controversy

In the 2000 presidential election in Florida, George W. Bush defeated Al Gore by 537 votes. Nader received 97,421 votes, which led to claims that he was responsible for Gore's defeat. Nader, both in his book Crashing the Party and on his website, states: "In the year 2000, exit polls reported that 25% of my voters would have voted for Bush, 38% would have voted for Gore and the rest would not have voted at all."[18] (which would net a 13%, 12,665 votes, advantage for Gore over Bush.) When asked about claims of being a spoiler, Nader typically points to the controversial Supreme Court ruling that halted a Florida recount, Gore's loss in his home state of Tennessee, and the "quarter million Democrats who voted for Bush in Florida.

Principles can cost a lot to maintain, we got a couple of wars, out of that one.
Pragmatism may not be fashionable but gestures that lead to the worst possible outcome are apparently.
I don't see how a green vote in a US presidential election is anything but a gesture, there is only one winner.  I don't have a problem with it in other electoral systems where a green candidate could be elected.  One might accuse people who refuse to vote for the least worse of acting childish, abnegating their responsibility to their democracy.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 09, 2016, 09:48:58 AM

That's a little like Hitler teaching the Germans a lesson. And he didn't have nuclear weapons.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 09, 2016, 10:44:57 AM
Principles can cost a lot to maintain, we got a couple of wars, out of that one.
Pragmatism may not be fashionable but gestures that lead to the worst possible outcome are apparently.
I don't see how a green vote in a US presidential election is anything but a gesture, there is only one winner.  I don't have a problem with it in other electoral systems where a green candidate could be elected.  One might accuse people who refuse to vote for the least worse of acting childish, abnegating their responsibility to their democracy.

Yeah, very much this.
You're not wrong about Hillary, Claire, she's too right-of-center for me too. But I'm not going to risk "shaking things up" by putting that crazy racist in charge. Was W really worth the cost? Sure, maybe that helped get Obama elected, but imagine if he'd never been there in the first place and Gore had been there instead. The same ridiculous arguments about how they're "the same" happened then too. No sane person would consider Gore the same as Bush today. And Bush is considered too moderate for that party now.
With Hillary, at least I know the Supreme Court won't outlaw abortion, my in-laws won't be banned from entering this country, the Paris climate agreement won't be torn up, and a tactical nuke won't be dropped on Iran because the Ayatollah makes fun of her appearance.
Yes, I'd love to have a more progressive option too, but I prefer incremental progress to gambling on a Silvio Berlusconi wannabe.

Davin

So we're supposed to vote for Hillary just because we're "left with no other option," which will perpetuate the problem of being left with no good option?

No. I'd rather keep trying to correct the problem of only getting shitty options. I will vote, but I'm not voting for Trump or Hillary because I don't think that either of them will make good presidents. Hopefully more people will do the same and it will show in the data that more and more people are not voting for the two main options, that is better than not voting at all because one doesn't like either.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Davin on June 09, 2016, 02:42:39 PM
So we're supposed to vote for Hillary just because we're "left with no other option," which will perpetuate the problem of being left with no good option?

No. I'd rather keep trying to correct the problem of only getting shitty options. I will vote, but I'm not voting for Trump or Hillary because I don't think that either of them will make good presidents. Hopefully more people will do the same and it will show in the data that more and more people are not voting for the two main options, that is better than not voting at all because one doesn't like either.

Sorry that my plea to vote wise and spare the world offends your sensibility.

There was a lot of Afghans but they had it coming,
Iraqis, no one likes them so they don't count.
Many Americans but it was for the cause.
Syria, that has nothing to do with anything.

Fuck the lives, they can be replaced but how many dollars?
An inconceivable amount of dollars.
What could have been done with those dollars?
lots

Davin

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 09, 2016, 03:24:26 PM

It doesn't offend my sensibility, it's just wrong. And though your response here is brief, it contains an impressive amount of inaccuracies.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Davin on June 09, 2016, 03:40:11 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 09, 2016, 03:24:26 PM

It doesn't offend my sensibility, it's just wrong. And though your response here is brief, it contains an impressive amount of inaccuracies.

No it doesn't.

Firebird

Quote from: Davin on June 09, 2016, 03:40:11 PM
How is it wrong and inaccurate?