Punishing puns! and spoonerisms and malapropisms etc.

Started by Tank, December 19, 2015, 11:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

I'd be an astronomy hound if conditions were a bit different.  I live in the city where light pollution is a problem.  My weather patterns are such that there are clear skies rarely in the summer, spring, or fall.  The winter skies are often clear and "seeing" is good.  I am not happy when I am cold, so I am not inclined to spend much time outdoors at 4 or 5 A.M. when the temp is low even though conditions are good.

I had an eight inch Dobsonian reflector for a while.  It was a hell of an instrument but it was really heavy, as any competent telescope needs to be.  I became weary of hauling it around because of its bulk.  I now have a mickey mouse little 80mm refractor. It is a good quality instrument but more appropriate for bird watching than for scanning the  Pleiades. (the seven sisters have more than seven objects. I could find them with the eight incher)..... I am told the the badge on Subaru cars are a reference to the Pleiades. ...... Hoop de doo for my Subaru.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 08, 2017, 11:34:32 PM
Quote from: Icarus on November 07, 2017, 11:15:52 PM
Are you an astronomy buff Silver?    I can see Orion on most nights in the southern sky. The old boy has more than three objects in his belt, Only three of them are prominent. Messier objects are nearby. For you he will be in your northern sky if he is visible there at all.  You will be able to see many things that I can not see, 'cause I am on the north side of the equator.

Hell yes! I wanted to be an astrophysicist when I was a kid, but that didn't work out unfortunately...can't get those numbers and formulas into my head to save my life.  ;D

Orion is an easily seen constellation here, and the three bright stars are called the 'Three Marys'.

There's a cool free software called Stellarium if you're interested, where you can see the location and time of appearance of constellations and planets from any point on Earth.

There's an app for tablets where you point the tablet in any direction, including straight down, and can "see" all the stars, planets and galaxies on a map. Includes data about those things as well.. Brilliant!

Almost worth buying a tsblet for alone.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

What did one nut say to the other nut as he chased him?

I'm gonna cashew!

:shifty:

xSilverPhinx

What are the strongest days of the week?

Saturday and Sunday, all the rest are week days.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 08, 2018, 02:08:42 PM
What are the strongest days of the week?

Saturday and Sunday, all the rest are week days.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Hmm, looks like punishable offence, but you are normally so punctillious that to do so would be a fine example of a punctilo - so we'll let you off!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Oooh! Here's another one! :computerwave:

Why do pirates take so long to learn the alphabet?

Because they can take years at sea.

xSilverPhinx

I don't know if this has been posted before but since we can't seem to get enough of bad puns here goes:

What did the buffalo say when his son went to college? Bison... :'(

joeactor

... from Google Home:

Q: What do you do if you have a fear of elevators? A: Just take some steps to avoid them.
Q: Did you hear about the world's largest pickle? A: It's a really big dill.
Q: Did you hear the joke about the roof? A: I would tell you, but it tends to go over people's heads.
Q: The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.
Q: The best way to carve wood is whittle by whittle.
Q: What do you call a Labrador that becomes a magician? A: A Labracadabrador.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx