News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Dr Who, all things Whovian

Started by Griffin, August 04, 2013, 08:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philosoraptor

Is it October yet? I'm ready to see how the first ever female Doctor will shake out. I'm not super crazy about Jodie Whitaker but I wasn't really surprised by the casting choice since she worked with Chris Chibnall on Broadchurch. The late state of this season is killing me though, usually we'd already be in it by now!
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Tank

I too can't wait!!!

Personally it's not the gender of the Dr that matters but their acting ability x story lines x scripts that matter!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

philosoraptor

I'm just curious (read: nervous) to see if they'll resort to cheesey, tropey gender stereotypes or not. I really hope not. The Master becoming the Mistress didn't seem much to change the agenda of evil though so hope springs eternal.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Tank

Quote from: philosoraptor on September 05, 2018, 07:06:02 AM
I'm just curious (read: nervous) to see if they'll resort to cheesey, tropey gender stereotypes or not. I really hope not. The Master becoming the Mistress didn't seem much to change the agenda of evil though so hope springs eternal.

This is my wife's worry that the story lines could suffer in an attempt to exploit the new gender dynamics.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Well Dr Who is now female and it worked very well. Why? Because the Dr was never macho or sexist character in the first place. It was to a large extant gender neutral. The story was good, the cast were good. A bit of humour thrown in. A bit of horror, not too much given the pre-watershed time slot. The BBC have continued the hit series.

Tank

Quote from: philosoraptor on September 05, 2018, 07:06:02 AM

Not on the basis of the first episode. I thing that new directors and producers know full well that if they get it wrong their careers will be shot. It also attracts long time fans into production in a way other shows don't. On the basis of one episode it's looking good.

Buddy

An oldie but goodie, found while cleaning out my YouTube favorites

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

The Magic Pudding.

I've followed all the 2000s Whos, I don't think I'll bother any more though.
Tennant again?
The suspension of dis isn't worth the effort.
Maybe if they'd brought back Mat...

Asmodean

...Smith? Of the current House of the Dragon fame? He did carry an episode or two of it, but I've actually never seen his Doctor run.  (Like... One episode - maybe two)

Was it good?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Asmodean on November 10, 2022, 02:01:26 PMWas it good?

As good as it gets I think, his offsider Amy was excellent.
Tennant over did it and his offsider Rose was a mouth breather.

I think they overdo the zany, UK regional accents are exaggerated to annoying extreme.
I've seen most recent female one in other things and she's great, but in Who she talks like she's chewing a squash ball.

Tank

Quote from: Cugel on November 10, 2022, 01:42:29 PMI've followed all the 2000s Whos, I don't think I'll bother any more though.
Tennant again?
The suspension of dis isn't worth the effort.
Maybe if they'd brought back Mat...

By all accounts there are going to only be 3 Tennant episodes and then the new guy takes over. They are doing the Tennant episodes to reinvigorate the franchise as the Foster one lost viewers due to the appalling (IMO) stories, scripts and characterisations. IMO they totally missed an opportunity with a female Dr Who.