News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Re: Today in History

Started by Icarus, December 14, 2014, 06:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MariaEvri

Quote from: OldGit on July 17, 2016, 08:58:33 PM
On this day in 1971 Mrs Git and I got married.

anniversary cake!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

OldGit

Quote from: BruceCongrats!  How did she do it for so many years?

I've often wondered that myself.

Recusant

First excursion of Homo sapiens to another planetary body succeeded on this day in 1969, forty mumblemumble years ago.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Recusant on July 20, 2016, 12:29:02 AM
First excursion of Homo sapiens to another planetary body succeeded on this day in 1969, forty mumblemumble years ago.

One small step for man ....

MariaEvri

today in history 1974, the Turks invaded in Cyprus, illegally occupying today 1/3rd of the island
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tom62

10 years ago on this day, I  "escaped" from WWGHA and joined HAF.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Recusant

Quote from: Tom62 on July 20, 2016, 08:20:40 PM
10 years ago on this day, I  "escaped" from WWGHA and joined HAF.

:party:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

The year 1945, the B29 bomber named Enola Gay, A bomb named Little Boy, Hiroshima. The world can never be the same.

xSilverPhinx

Today is Brazilian Independence Day, when Portuguese prince Dom Pedro I proclaimed Brazil's emancipation ("Independence or Death!"), after Portugal demanded his return so that they could recolonise Brazil, along with a little persuasion by his wife and the patriarch of Brazil, José Bonifácio, 193 years ago.   

O Grito da Ipiranga - Pedro Américo

It's a nice picture but not an accurate depiction - they weren't riding horses, but mules; the Independence Dragoons (wearing white) didn't exist yet; D. Pedro I was not in military uniform and he was suffering from a pretty bad tummy ache, possibly having stopped at the brook known as Ipiranga to pass some royal bowels. 

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

The best wild ass guess about the exact date is Sept. 28, 1066. William the Conqueror invaded England to claim the
English throne. After 950 years if we miss the date by a day or two we can surely be forgiven.

In 1928 Scottish medical researcher Alexander Fleming discovered Penicillin, the first effective antibiotic.  Thumbs up for Mr. Fleming.

For whatever its worth, this week is Banned Books Week.   The American Library Association resisted efforts to ban certain books in 1982. Since that time some 11,000 books have been subject to attempted bans by various factions including state legislators. The library people are winning with the help of the supreme court, the ACLU and other interested parties who do not have their heads up their asses.. It is not like the libraries are inclined to favor books with racy content. Their position is about freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Thus we have the ALA contrivance: Banned Books Week.  Good on "Marion the Librarian", (from the Broadway play Music Man in case you are not old enough to have enjoyed that old musical)

Recusant

Fifty-three years ago, President John Kennedy was shot and killed by Lee Harvey Oswald. There are those who still believe that Oswald was set up by a conspiracy of some sort or other. I imagine that line of thinking will always be with us.
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Recusant on November 22, 2016, 05:13:19 PM
Fifty-three years ago, President John Kennedy was shot and killed by Lee Harvey Oswald. There are those who still believe that Oswald was set up by a conspiracy of some sort or other. I imagine that line of thinking will always be with us.

History is susceptible to conspiracy theories because of the nature of historical evidence itself - you can never repeat the actual event like you can in scientific evidence, so there is never any way to conclusively prove something.  Someone will always find a loop hole, and the more significant the event, the more people are motivated to look for other explanations. 

Recusant

Seventy-five years ago, Imperial Japan sealed its own doom by launching an airborne attack on the US naval base at Pearl Harbor, Oahu. There were 2471 Americans killed, 1213 injured, while 64 Japanese aviators were killed.

There's a conspiracy theory about this historical event as well: That President Roosevelt knew the attack was coming but kept Pearl Harbor in the dark about it, insuring that the US would enter WWII. There is no solid historical evidence to support the theory.
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Conspiracy theorists are apparently both smarter and somehow privy to more reliable information than we ordinary slobs..