News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Aurora shootings result of ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs

Started by fester30, July 20, 2012, 04:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismikeness

Quote from: Stevil on July 24, 2012, 07:19:56 AM
I wouldn't want to imagine how a shoot out in a confined space with hundreds of people would turn out.

Not to mention that the hero gunman would have to reach for the gun, wield it, sight the evil gunman from presumably an elevated position, in the dark, through smoke and the onslaught of others trying to leave the theater in panic.

It has to be small percentage of people who can make that shot. Some specialized training perhaps.

I've heard stories of fist fights breaking out in theaters over kicking the back of seats or talking during a show. The last thing we need is to introduce guns in to those situations.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Non Quixote

Quote from: hismikeness on July 24, 2012, 07:25:37 AM
I wouldn't want to imagine how a shoot out in a confined space with hundreds of people would turn out.

Not to mention that the hero gunman would have to reach for the gun, wield it, sight the evil gunman from presumably an elevated position, in the dark, through smoke and the onslaught of others trying to leave the theater in panic.

It has to be small percentage of people who can make that shot. Some specialized training perhaps.

I've heard stories of fist fights breaking out in theaters over kicking the back of seats or talking during a show. The last thing we need is to introduce guns in to those situations.
Yeah, I get that.  I'm not strict anti-gun but the idea of all these little Rambos walking around with concealed .38s just waiting for the chance to off a bad guy in a public place does scare the shite out of me.  The last thing I want is some redneck hyped up on God Guns and Guts to start popping off rounds in the general direction of where he thinks the bad guy is.  Then you have two gunmen that need to be dropped, and honestly if I were a cop I'm not sure who I shoot first.

I'd rather take my chances with only one whacko shooting at people.

Great fun living in a state where all it takes is a pulse and the ability to sign your name more or less correctly to get a concealed weapons permit.
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Firebird

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 25, 2012, 12:36:45 AM
Quote from: hismikeness on July 24, 2012, 07:25:37 AM

Yeah, I get that.  I'm not strict anti-gun but the idea of all these little Rambos walking around with concealed .38s just waiting for the chance to off a bad guy in a public place does scare the shite out of me.  The last thing I want is some redneck hyped up on God Guns and Guts to start popping off rounds in the general direction of where he thinks the bad guy is.  Then you have two gunmen that need to be dropped, and honestly if I were a cop I'm not sure who I shoot first.

I'd rather take my chances with only one whacko shooting at people.

Great fun living in a state where all it takes is a pulse and the ability to sign your name more or less correctly to get a concealed weapons permit.

At the very least, how is an assault weapons ban an infringement on your rights? Who needs an assault rifle? It's not like you're going to be hunting anything with one, and you don't need 100 rounds at a time to defend yourself against someone should you decide to arm yourself.
Also drove me nuts when the Republicans tried to pass a bill whereby every state would have to respect the gun laws in an out-of-state residents state. In other words, if you come to Massachusetts where they ban assault rifles from Texas, Massachusetts wouldn't be able to apply their gun laws to the Texas resident. And the GOP claims they're all about "state rights". What a bunch of hypocrites.
Sorry, but this whole thing is so upsetting, and there will undoubtedly be more cases like this because of such easy access to guns. It saddens me.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

fester30

These are obviously the high profile situations that inflame the gun control debate.  The crazy lone gunman with legal weapons is the extreme minority of gun crimes.  A story here and there about the hundreds of people killed in major cities by people with illegal weapons surfaces, but does not garner the attention of the events like the theater shooting.  I think banning assault weapons and large capacity magazines makes sense.  We have managed to get away with banning bazookas, automatic rifles, etc, without the 2nd amendment standing in the way.  The other side of the coin is enforcement.  The greatest number of gun crimes is perpetrated by people not legally able to own firearms, or people that obtained their weapons illegally.  I think enforcing the laws in place is a first step.  Adding more laws that aren't enforced won't help until we take care of the laws we already have.  The Kansas City Gun Experiment demonstrates this.
http://www.nij.gov/pubs-sum/150855.htm

Firebird

A bit on CNN today about tweets concerning where God was during the shooting, and some of the predictable responses received. I don't like Twitter, but it's interesting to watch what people put:

Where was God in Aurora massacre?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Non Quixote

Quote from: Firebird on July 25, 2012, 06:49:27 PM
A bit on CNN today about tweets concerning where God was during the shooting, and some of the predictable responses received. I don't like Twitter, but it's interesting to watch what people put:

I don't know why I followed that link, I knew that it was just going to piss me off.  But like a lemming I can't stop myself...

Pastor "It's a miracle!" Strait has been getting quite a bit of mileage out of this tragedy.  He's been out there around the clock pimping his god to anyone who will listen to, or read his inane garbage.

" There's just one way to describe what happened: 'a miracle.' The doctor explains that Petra's brain has had from birth a small 'defect' in it. It is a tiny channel of fluid running through her skull, like a tiny vein through marble, or a small hole in an oak board, winding from front to rear."
Pastor Strait explains it this way: "In Christianity we call it prevenient grace: God working ahead of time for a particular event in the future. It's just like the God I follow to plan the route of a bullet through a brain long before Batman ever rises. Twenty-two years before."

Oh, now that you've made up an intelligent sounding name for it I buy the bullshit completely. ::)

I'm wondering why god didn't just keep her car from starting?  Or wave his magical hand and deflect the pellet completely?  Or better yet, instead of monkeying with Petra's brain couldn't he have just fixed the crazed gunman's brain?  I mean since he's not above interfering by working with a person's brain, why not work on the brain that needs it the most and save everyone?

Hard to believe that an adult with anything even approaching an average IQ would buy into this load of crap.
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Firebird on July 25, 2012, 06:49:27 PM

God was busy not answering you prayers.  Per usual.. >_>
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

fester30

As always with an event like this there are prayers going out all over America for the victims, their families, and even the shooters.  Sometimes I wish I was religious so I could just be lazy when bad things happen and just send prayers and still feel like I'm doing something to help instead of donating blood, money, time, etc.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: fester30 on July 26, 2012, 04:13:33 PM
As always with an event like this there are prayers going out all over America for the victims, their families, and even the shooters.  Sometimes I wish I was religious so I could just be lazy when bad things happen and just send prayers and still feel like I'm doing something to help instead of donating blood, money, time, etc.

Lazy is the perfect word for it.

"Oh, i dont know how to handle this situation, but my prayers are with you."

If only i could pray away all my debt and sorrows.  ::)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.