News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Because using a cattle brand implies a lack of trust.

Started by Ali, June 28, 2012, 04:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

Mrs Git loves to wear her ring, whereas I never had one.  We're both happy and there was never any argument.  It was never a question of trust or dominance or any such stuff. 

xSilverPhinx

Personally I feel that possessiveness on that level is really creepy, if the person is unbalanced in some way could lead to something disastrous, I don't know. It is a factor in criminal profiling or so I'm told.

Quote from: En_Route on June 28, 2012, 07:46:38 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on June 28, 2012, 04:49:15 PM
Quote from: Ali on June 28, 2012, 04:40:59 PM
What do you think?  Funny and tongue in cheek?  Gross?  Useful?

From what I hear, it's more of a turn-on/"go for him first" type thing for women when they see a wedding ring on a man...

That's evolution for you. The ladies,the heterosexual ones anyway,  are programmed to favour a chap who has proven his ability to land (and presumably provide for) a female.Thus, the astute man-about-town remains resolutely single, but wears a conspicuous wedding ring.  

Or carry a baby around and act as if you were its excellent father. That's the evolutionary cherry on top.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

En_Route

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 04, 2012, 02:45:25 PM
Personally I feel that possessiveness on that level is really creepy, if the person is unbalanced in some way could lead to something disastrous, I don't know. It is a factor in criminal profiling or so I'm told.

From what I hear, it's more of a turn-on/"go for him first" type thing for women when they see a wedding ring on a man...

That's evolution for you. The ladies,the heterosexual ones anyway,  are programmed to favour a chap who has proven his ability to land (and presumably provide for) a female.Thus, the astute man-about-town remains resolutely single, but wears a conspicuous wedding ring.  

Or carry a baby around and act as if you were its excellent father. That's the evolutionary cherry on top.

Excellent idea. Borrow one from a relative and dose it with Calpol or some other patent medication that will keep it docile.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Ali

Haha, true.  It's almost impossible not to smile warmly at a man tending to small children in a public place.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ali on July 04, 2012, 04:10:44 PM

Haha, true.  It's almost impossible not to smile warmly at a man tending to small children in a public place.

Seconded. Though, if the child is obviously drugged, it does taint the charm a little.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Buddy

That or a puppy. My brother gets hit on all the time when he takes his dog for a walk.  :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 04, 2012, 04:17:19 PM

Seconded. Though, if the child is obviously drugged, it does taint the charm a little.

Croon  the odd lullaby and people will think its asleep. Plus that you are in touch with your feminine side.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 04, 2012, 04:21:14 PM

What do you think?  Funny and tongue in cheek?  Gross?  Useful?

That's evolution for you. The ladies,the heterosexual ones anyway,  are programmed to favour a chap who has proven his ability to land (and presumably provide for) a female.Thus, the astute man-about-town remains resolutely single, but wears a conspicuous wedding ring. 

That or a puppy. My brother gets hit on all the time when he takes his dog for a walk.  :D

It's all the same, puppies and some small dog breeds have been bred to look like babies :D

Siz

Is it not the case that depending on what the woman is after she will opt for different traits in a man?
To procreate to produce strong healthy children she will choose the Alpha, chest beating superman jock. And for an actual father to the child she will opt for the stable, sensitive, bespectacled Clarke Kent.

Not sure where my wife went wrong on both counts... :-\

In the UK 10% of ALL children are raised by a men who are not the biological fathers which kinda holds up the theory.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Scissorlegs on July 04, 2012, 05:49:28 PM

Is it not the case that depending on what the woman is after she will opt for different traits in a man?
To procreate to produce strong healthy children she will choose the Alpha, chest beating superman jock. And for an actual father to the child she will opt for the stable, sensitive, bespectacled Clarke Kent.

In the UK 10% of ALL children are raised by a men who are not the biological fathers which kinda holds up the theory.

Makes sense in theory, but I've never found the macho-jocky muscle-head types even remotely attractive in any way.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Siz

Remember we're talking about a majority demographic here  :D

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 04, 2012, 05:51:52 PM

Haha, true.  It's almost impossible not to smile warmly at a man tending to small children in a public place.

Makes sense in theory, but I've never found the macho-jocky muscle-head types even remotely attractive in any way.

Yeah, I think smarts plays a major role. I never found myself thinking "OMG I wanna have your children" with the muscle-head types. :-\

Evolutionary, status counts for a woman choosing a man, even moreso than looks in some cases, and not all alphas are the jock type. It's just that the muscle-heads usually do reach a higher status in some areas and not in others. Others have good looks, are seen to be of the right race or profession, have expensive cars....you get the picture.

The Magic Pudding

Cool, get a wedding ring, borrow a baby, drop by the chemist for some sedatives, hire a cute dog, get one of those strap on chests with abs, bring brainy book, take up position in park with good traffic flow and wait.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 05, 2012, 07:28:01 AM
Cool, get a wedding ring, borrow a baby, drop by the chemist for some sedatives, hire a cute dog, get one of those strap on chests with abs, bring brainy book, take up position in park with good traffic flow and wait.

Can't fail.

Ali

To procreate to produce strong healthy children she will choose the Alpha, chest beating superman jock. And for an actual father to the child she will opt for the stable, sensitive, bespectacled Clarke Kent.Not sure where my wife went wrong on both counts... :-\

Hmmmm.  This doesn't ring true to me.  Mostly because I think that most people are more 3D than to fall into just one category (Alpha Chest Beater vs Sensitive Spectacles.)

Then again, that may be why I like my hubby so much.  He's big and healthy, but also wicked smart (not overly sensitive though.)