News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Happy Former Baptist Preacher

Started by Chris Johnston, January 02, 2008, 04:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Johnston

Hi all! I became a Xian at the age of 15 and immediately "answered the call to preach." I went to college, crammed a 4 year education into 9 years, married, sired two great kids, divorced, left the church, and found my way to atheism.

I have recently grown tired of having no one to talk with about it. My wife is agnostic, which to me is a lazy atheist. But I needed an outlet so I started a blog and started visiting web forums (fora?).

So I am glad to be here, all the way from Ottawa, Kansas.

McQ

Welcome to the forum, Chris. I think you'll find "truth in advertising" here, as the forum is aptly named.

Jump right in!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Mister Joy

Welcome :D

QuoteMy wife is agnostic, which to me is a lazy atheist.

Probably right there an a lot of cases. Though I call myself 'agnostic' from time to time purely because beyond the realm of our finite understanding of a potentially infinite reality, anything is possible. I don't believe in fact. Doesn't mean I think it's particularly likely that the Christian God exists, though. In the same sense, I don't think it's likely that the events of a futuristic sci-fi will pan out exactly as stated come the correct date.

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, Chris.  It's nice to have you here.

Will

Glad to have you here, Reverain't.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

rlrose328

Very glad to meet you, Chris... I'm Kerri, a former wanna-be believer (just so life would be easier).  :-)

How on earth did you leave being a Baptist minister for atheism?  Wow... my grandmother was a Southern Baptist and was, quite frankly, a horrible woman, trying to force her religion on anyone who would listen.

Hope you find what you are looking for here.  It's a great group of people!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

tacoma_kyle

Nice to know, hi!
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Chris Johnston

Thanks for the warm welcome. Reverain't....I like that LOL.

I don't use the word agnostic for myself because I don't have a lot of uncertainty, but I will say that if anyone shows me strong evidence for the existence of a deity, or UFOs, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I will seriously reexamine my stand!

SteveS

Hi Chris - welcome to the forum!  Fairly religious in Kansas, no?  Ever run into any Westboro Baptist members?  haha