News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

My failures and successes

Started by musicality, June 20, 2012, 07:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicality

All these responses are great. It sucks that all these prayers for help and gratefulness to god is ALL OVER my Facebook. Sometimes, I have a hard time trying to say something...I don't want to say "I'll pray for you..." I don't know. I try to find the most cliché thing to say whenever someone is going through a hard time. (I guess the nicest/neutral thing I usually say is "I'm sending some positive thoughts your way. I'm here if you need anyone to talk to.") What do you guys usually say??
"Music is prophecy. Its styles are ahead of the rest of society because
it explores, much faster than material reality can, the entire range of
possibilities."

Sweetdeath

Nothing, because i dont have religious friends,nor do i add them to my facebook.

Usually a "hug" or "you know my number" is enough.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: rickrocks on June 22, 2012, 12:43:09 AM

BTW, folkseses, sorry I haven't been around.
One never has to apologise for coming back :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

kitty

Quote from: musicality on June 22, 2012, 06:11:33 AM
All these responses are great. It sucks that all these prayers for help and gratefulness to god is ALL OVER my Facebook. Sometimes, I have a hard time trying to say something...I don't want to say "I'll pray for you..." I don't know. I try to find the most cliché thing to say whenever someone is going through a hard time. (I guess the nicest/neutral thing I usually say is "I'm sending some positive thoughts your way. I'm here if you need anyone to talk to.") What do you guys usually say??

i try to avoid that whole spiritulistic 'positive thought' malarky, and just go with 'i'm thinking of you' or 'can i call for a chat, so you can have a good moan?'

Quote from: Amicale on June 22, 2012, 01:42:01 AM

I'd like to know where these people's heads are. They also always make sure to cover their bases, so they can't 'lose' no matter what. If they pray and don't get what they prayed for, then they think either they didn't pray hard enough, or it wasn't God's will to give it to them. If they pray and do get what they prayed for, then of course it was God's will, and God loves them sooooo much that he granted them this special favour. Of course, they'll tack on how unworthy they were to receive such a 'blessing', just to assure everyone of their ongoing humility.  ::)
well put.

Quote from: Firebird on June 22, 2012, 04:16:43 AM
Thanking god for all the good things in your life is, in my opinion, one of the most self-centered things you can do. Right, you're so important that he let you get that job, but that guy dying of cancer can go fuck himself. Really? If there is a god after all, he's a huge douchebag. We should sue him
i dont nessessarily agree with the idea that being grateful is self centered. in my head, praying thank you prayers for all the good stuff in life is fine, i mean, i used to do it every day, i've got a lot to be grateful for and i'm fully aware that not everyone has the health i enjoy, 2 kids who are never sick, etc etc.
its the people who ask for stuff constantly, who are never quite grateful enough and spend their prayer time asking for stupid stuff, stuff that doesnt matter.
my mother is like this. she prays for holidays and games consoles and when she gets a wee bonus in her paycheck..oh look, god has provided!
bloody hell.
this is the point where we all say;
Do people really think that if God exists, they can change his mind if only they pray hard enough? Do they think that God can do something for someone, but will refuse to until someone begs him to do it? And do they really think that if there are starving, deathly sick people in the world whose entire life has been misery, God is going to help them take care of a (relatively) normal problem like passing a test or winning a game?
When you can explain to me why it is that God let you win a football game, but apparently ignored the child dying of AIDS in Africa, come talk to me.
please excuse my bitter rant, but she even 'received' a holiday to frickin cuba...nothing to do with that massive credit card bill then...? can we all say, delusional much?
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

DeterminedJuliet

I usually just say "please let me know if there's anything I can do for you." It's short and sweet and not too personal. :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Firebird

Something along the lines of "You are in our thoughts. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help".

I wasn't sure whether to say the first sentence, since the default line is "thoughts and prayers". Is that too obvious an announcement of my atheism? Because that's the last thing I would want to do during a difficult time for someone else.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ali

Quote from: Firebird on June 22, 2012, 05:11:15 PM

Something along the lines of "You are in our thoughts. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help".

I wasn't sure whether to say the first sentence, since the default line is "thoughts and prayers". Is that too obvious an announcement of my atheism? Because that's the last thing I would want to do during a difficult time for someone else.

I don't think it's that obvious.  In my experience most Christians assume that everyone is a Christian unless you really whack them between the eyes with it.  Or are Hitler.  They don't like to claim Hitler as one of their own.  ;)

rickrocks

I'm sorry, I guess I'm feeling particularly grouchy, cynical and jaded today. It's not my intent to pick on Christians.

Oh, but they're so easy to pick on!

rickrocks

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 22, 2012, 12:54:15 AM
rickrocks, I missed your accusatory avatar!  ;D

I must say you're lookin' mighty sexy in bronze, Juliet.

Icarus

The people who might pray for me are doing so for the kindest reasons. Never mind that they are being foolish when they do so. The 'pray for you' thing annoys me but I do regard it as a well meaning gesture. I am also annoyed when a convenience store clerk tells me to "have a blessed day".  Nonetheless I usually say thank you, but sometimes mumble under my breath, something curmudgeonly like; "you poor misguided person, how could you have become so deranged?".

I join the rest of you in admiration of Musicalities determination and hard work. You go girl.

hismikeness

Quote from: Icarus on July 12, 2012, 05:51:23 AM
The people who might pray for me are doing so for the kindest reasons. Never mind that they are being foolish when they do so. The 'pray for you' thing annoys me but I do regard it as a well meaning gesture.

Yep, me too. I take it as a nice gesture that they are thinking of me in my time of need.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Hector Valdez

When people post things on Facebook, I vary in my response. When the responses are particularly humble, I'll respond, "Get the fuck off my internet." Often though, I'll just say something like, "Hey, since your so good on charity, can I have all your money? I need it for...medicinal purposes."(No lie, I actually called into catholic answers one time said that.)

In any case, people are often pretty religious, but I don't mind when they tell me that god gave me my intelligence. Naturally, I don't mind because I'm more interested in ideas rather than people, and thus it is easier for me ignore it.