News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Does anyone else talk to the door preachers?

Started by jumbojak, May 27, 2012, 06:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I'm wondering if anyone else takes the time to greet and converse with the door preachers. We have quite a few wandering around my area and I have actually grown to enjoy the conversations, with the exception of the Jehovah's Witnesses, and think I may have gotten through to at least one rather open minded Baptist.

He seemed to be a student of William Lane Craig's work and posessed a reasonable grasp of logic. Unlike Dr. Craig he was unable to conjure a seemingly plausible strawman to knock down. When he left I had the distinct impression he would be visiting infidels.org although he assured me that Christ was the only path to salvation. A troup of mormons just moved into town and I can't wait to meet them.

Anyone have a similar experience?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Hector Valdez

I love going up to Mormons and saying, "Hi! I'm an atheist! Want to talk?", Though as of late, they immediately jump on the defensive when I do this. Imagine a dog suddenly stiffening up his muscles and going on high alert with his tail pointing straight back, and you'll get their reaction. There's a lot of mormons around here, though I've only known one Jehova's witness, and he was a good friend. Strangely though, we were a lot more likely to talk about comic books than religion.  ;D

jumbojak

The Jehovah's Witnesses down the street from me are some of the most rude and obnoxious people I have ever encountered. They bang on the door and only seem to want to talk about how Jesus was crucified on a pole, not a crucifix. I still can't wrap my head around that one.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

I really hope door preachers stay away from the area I call home. My mother would want to debate them, and that can go on for hours. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: jumbojak on May 27, 2012, 06:55:04 PM
Anyone have a similar experience?

Not for some 25 years (living in a security building) but before that I used to get door-to-door religion salesmen every so often.  I usually didn't mind talking to them, in fact when I was a kid my Dad or brother used to call me to the door when the religious came by because that got them out of it without being rude (for the record, both my Dad and brother were and are religious themselves).

How I dealt with them depended on how much time I had and what mood I was in.  If I didn't feel like a debate but was in the mood to talk, I just let them do their spiel, maybe asked them a bit about their lives and that was it. 

If I had time and felt like a debate, I'd bring up being an atheist and we'd go from there.  In my experience, the women were the least unpleasant about it and it usually ended up with offers to pray for me rather than the warnings of damnation I usually got from men.

If I didn't have time and/or wasn't in any mood, I'd just tell them I was an atheist, wish them better luck with the next person and close the door.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

I'm fine with talking to door-to-door preachers. If I'm not interested in talking, I just don't answer the door (I can see through a curtain who it is). If I am interested in a conversation, I sit out on the porch with them, offer them some sort of drink, let them know I'm an atheist and then have an interesting conversation with them. I don't generally ever hear the hellfire pitch, because I tend to focus on my secular humanism, and that's where I find common ground with them - we both care deeply about people, we're both interested in ethics, we both want a better world, etc... the only difference between us is that I don't buy into the supernatural part of it. I've even had a few ask me more about secular humanism, why I bother caring about others, why I want to help others, etc. I think it at the very least helps them see that many, even most, atheists are decent, kind folks just like anyone else. Then I generally offer them a cold drink to take with them, tell them to have a good day, and send them off.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

OldGit

I've expounded my method before:  prepare your own spoof religion and go in hard trying to convert them to it.  If possible, have some tracts printed ready.  My only regret is, we haven't had any such callers in the village for years.  You can't have as much fun with home-improvements sellers.

Harmonie

I don't recall any ever coming to my home.

I don't know why. Perhaps they assume everybody around here is Christian (it is the Bible Belt and everything), or perhaps they have some way of knowing my family are members at a church (that we never attend anymore lol). They wouldn't have a way of knowing that, though, right? I don't know. Either way, I'm happy I don't have to deal with them.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Sandra Craft

Quote from: OldGit on June 01, 2012, 09:38:20 AM
You can't have as much fun with home-improvements sellers.

It's just not the same arguing about aluminum siding, is it?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 01, 2012, 03:22:45 PM
Quote from: OldGit on June 01, 2012, 09:38:20 AM
You can't have as much fun with home-improvements sellers.

It's just not the same arguing about aluminum siding, is it?

I've had fun arguing with guys over the price and quality of driveway water sealant.

I need a life.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Beachdragon

Since I sold my mother's house, we haven't had any door to door religion sales people.  I have, however, moved into a nice new neighborhood last December so there's still time for door to door people to come around.

I usually just say no thanks, take their papers, smile and close the door.  I usually toss what they give me.

My mother in her prime, however, was another story.  She had a Ph.D. in European history, religion and art.  She was also a very charismatic lecturer.  She delighted in giving whom ever came to the door a complete unabridged version of their own religion.  After a while, they stopped coming around.  She knew more than they did, LOL. 

fester30

Quote from: RenegeReversi on May 27, 2012, 07:08:51 PM
I love going up to Mormons and saying, "Hi! I'm an atheist! Want to talk?", Though as of late, they immediately jump on the defensive when I do this. Imagine a dog suddenly stiffening up his muscles and going on high alert with his tail pointing straight back, and you'll get their reaction. There's a lot of mormons around here, though I've only known one Jehova's witness, and he was a good friend. Strangely though, we were a lot more likely to talk about comic books than religion.  ;D

I talk to door preachers whenever offered the opportunity.  Mostly, when I mention I don't believe in the supernatural, they just leave.  I've invited a couple into my home for tea and conversation, though, and that always goes well.

As for approaching people and starting the conversation, I don't bother.  I try not to be what some would consider a militant atheist, because that just tends to shut people down to what I'm trying to get across.  When I was Christian, one of the things the preachers liked to tell me is that if I live my life a certain way, that's the best advertisement for Christianity.  I don't make it a secret that I'm a non-believer.  I am the same kind, giving person I ever was.  I carry myself a certain way.  This way, hopefully others are left with the impression that non-believers aren't evil, and can actually be good people.  There is a lot of misconception about us in the eyes of some religious people that we worship the devil or sacrifice animals or do drugs and have crazy tattoo-infested flesh piles of sex while drinking blood.  I like to try to dispel those rumors by offering that we're not ALL like that lol.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: fester30 on June 08, 2012, 10:40:43 PM
There is a lot of misconception about us in the eyes of some religious people that we worship the devil or sacrifice animals or do drugs and have crazy tattoo-infested flesh piles of sex while drinking blood.  I like to try to dispel those rumors by offering that we're not ALL like that lol.

:o

You mean to say that there are a FEW of us who are?

;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

fester30

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 12, 2012, 06:21:53 AM
Quote from: fester30 on June 08, 2012, 10:40:43 PM
There is a lot of misconception about us in the eyes of some religious people that we worship the devil or sacrifice animals or do drugs and have crazy tattoo-infested flesh piles of sex while drinking blood.  I like to try to dispel those rumors by offering that we're not ALL like that lol.

:o

You mean to say that there are a FEW of us who are?

;)

:D
Yes, but don't be too concerned.  The other thing many of the door preachers don't understand is there are plenty of self-described religious people, even Christians, that do those things as well.  I often think that's what a Catholic seminary must look like.

Ali

We haven't had one in a while.  I don't really bother talking with them when they do come.  I used to like to try to bait them into a debate, but I find I just can't be assed to do it any more.  I find a beautific smile and a "No thank you" as I shut the door is usually sufficient.