News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

You must be this small to ride this ride....

Started by Ali, May 18, 2012, 11:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philosoraptor

I get what you're saying in terms of needing a jumping off point, I'm just in the camp of the why so specific?  You can make an event 0-8 without needing to pin the numbers on people and objectify them that way.  It almost seems like a competition within a competition.  If you're already at the event, what difference do those numbers make, other than to incite jealousy and pettiness amongst the participants?

I wish I had access to the files still, but when I was in college I did a survey for my stat course where I had people rate attractiveness based on weight, etc... and also had them rate themselves and their own weight.  Of course this was hidden under the psychobabble so that the participants weren't actually supposed to know what we were really studying-I forget what the cover actually was.  But in the end, when analyzing results, I remember laughing because so many people (especially men, sorry guys) who had rated themselves as being overweight or unattractive still said they wouldn't date people rated at the same or a lower level of attractiveness as themselves.  I guess it's the hypocrisy that bothers me.  Not that it's anything new-it's always been more acceptable for men to be overweight than it has been for women.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Sandra Craft

Quote from: philosoraptor on May 20, 2012, 01:08:17 AM
I get what you're saying in terms of needing a jumping off point, I'm just in the camp of the why so specific? 

Because some people are just that shallow.  Me, I'd rather they were honest about it than pretend to have more complex needs, and run the risk of tricking themselves as well as others.  That never turns out well.

QuoteBut in the end, when analyzing results, I remember laughing because so many people (especially men, sorry guys) who had rated themselves as being overweight or unattractive still said they wouldn't date people rated at the same or a lower level of attractiveness as themselves.

I remember once walking past a tubby guy who was arm in arm with a string bean girlfriend -- he was wearing a t-shirt that read "no fat chicks".  Before I could help myself, I'd stared pointedly at his paunch and then given him a "seriously?" look.  At least he had the grace to look uncomfortable in return.  I suppose that was hypocritical of me, given my stance on people being honest about what they want, but it was a knee-jerk reaction.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

philosoraptor

I think a justified knee-jerk reaction, in that circumstance.  Less a judgment on his weight and more a judgment on the double-standard.  You can't always choose whether or not you end up fat or thin.  You can, however, choose just how large of a douchebag you want to act like.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Sweetdeath

Quote from: philosoraptor on May 20, 2012, 02:34:01 AM
I think a justified knee-jerk reaction, in that circumstance.  Less a judgment on his weight and more a judgment on the double-standard.  You can't always choose whether or not you end up fat or thin.  You can, however, choose just how large of a douchebag you want to act like.

Wise words to live by. :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Velma

If you're going to be that shallow about such things, it's better to be up front about it, I suppose.  Personally, looks are far less important to me than a man who can make me laugh.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

En_Route

Quote from: Velma on May 20, 2012, 03:45:07 AM
If you're going to be that shallow about such things, it's better to be up front about it, I suppose.  Personally, looks are far less important to me than a man who can make me laugh.

What about a man whose looks make you laugh?
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Velma

Quote from: En_Route on May 20, 2012, 10:19:25 AM
Quote from: Velma on May 20, 2012, 03:45:07 AM

What about a man whose looks make you laugh?
Hmmmmm...can't say that I've ever met one whose looks made me laugh.  However, if he had a good sense of humor, looks would not be important.  The man who became my husband started wooing me with a series of funny, slightly teasing posts on a forum where we were both on staff.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Crow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 19, 2012, 09:08:50 AM
Let's not judge them against our own prejudices.

Couldn't agree with this more even if I tried.

People have there own desires and some may be more quirky than others but if there is something out that is accommodating this where all sides are in consent, helps them find others of a similar way of thinking then why not. If it's a persons fantasy to sleep or be around a person that's a size 0 then why not, I'm sure it saves those people a lot of trouble and other people being creeped out.
Retired member.

AnimatedDirt

In light of what has come from this topic and some reaction to my post, let me clarify that in my "prime" I was not looking for a spouse.  I was looking for my idea of hot girls to hook up with.  That's it.  That's the male in me speaking...and about the only voice I heard at this point in my life as I assume is much the same for the other males "in their prime".  ( maybe I'm wrong )

As for some intestinal juice in my shoes, I can't fault the judgment from ones with more life experience for this.  :)