Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last post by jumbojak on Today at 05:48:48 AM »
My mood has been all over the place today. I went from being almost impossibly low, to fairly steady, and then was thrown a curve ball tonight that does have me impossibly confused. *Sigh* I wish that dealing with people was easier.

Cherchez la femme?

You see, that was only at the end of the day... I think I need a vacation. Not sure where to go or what to do though.

Have you been to Europe? This is a very personal opinion and others will disagree, but if you can only visit one city in Europe, go to Paris.

I have not and, honestly, probably shouldn't. A past relationship should have resulted in me moving to the UK but it didn't work out like either of us hoped. At least for right now certain wounds are too fresh to travel to Europe.

As far as a vacation goes, I haven't taken time off work in... three years, I think. I haven't had a Saturday off in four probably.
« Last post by hermes2015 on Today at 05:10:37 AM »
My mood has been all over the place today. I went from being almost impossibly low, to fairly steady, and then was thrown a curve ball tonight that does have me impossibly confused. *Sigh* I wish that dealing with people was easier.

Cherchez la femme?

You see, that was only at the end of the day... I think I need a vacation. Not sure where to go or what to do though.

Have you been to Europe? This is a very personal opinion and others will disagree, but if you can only visit one city in Europe, go to Paris.
Media / Re: What Are You Reading?
« Last post by hermes2015 on Today at 05:06:31 AM »
I am reading a biography of Tennessee Williams by John Lahr. It is a fascinating look at a man who remained essentially lonely and insecure, despite his well-earned fame as a playwright. I love his plays not just for their plots, but also his masterful use of English, which is also shown in the many extracts of letters he wrote to friends and theatre people like Elia Kazan.

« Last post by jumbojak on Today at 05:03:52 AM »

Cherchez la femme?

« Last post by hermes2015 on Today at 04:36:29 AM »

Cherchez la femme?
« Last post by jumbojak on Today at 01:27:09 AM »
Media / Re: HAF book club: November poll and discussion
« Last post by Icarus on Today at 01:07:10 AM »
von Humbolt is the one who is quoted as as having said: " The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of the ones who have not viewed the world".
« Last post by Icarus on Today at 12:56:13 AM »
In addition to the previous Prius and Pickups book, I am into the vicious screed by Malcolm Nance: the Plot To Destroy Democracy.  Nance is almost livid in his depiction of the current political scene.  Lord  God help us if what he so eloquently describes as the current and recent past state of political affairs. 

I recommend Nance's book but only if you hold it  at a length from your face. Some of the stuff in the book is just too incendiary to be real.  I fear that it might not be as from the the truth  as I would approve.

« Last post by Velma on Today at 12:16:37 AM »
I'm reading more fiction. John Scalzi's The Last Colony, the third in his Old Man's War series. It follows the two main characters in the series as they leave the colony world they settled after leaving the Colonial Union army to help govern a new colony. Since this new colony is illegal from the view point of the alien confederation, known as the Conclave, I'm sure they will have their hands full.

In keeping with the time of year, I am also reading The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero. So far a bit predictable - man inherits a fortune and a house from a relative he didn't know he had. I'm not very far into it, but there has already been the expected small, odd happenings that could be put down to imagination, dreams, or stress of such a change of lifestyle. However, given the characters, it should be fun as long as it loses a bit of the predictable soon.
« Last post by Velma on October 20, 2018, 11:57:00 PM »
The reason I'm so disappointed is that, from the description, it appeared to be right up my alley. Eh, not every reader is going to love every book.

I hate when that happens.  Unfortunately, now I think I'll have to read it, just so we can compare notes!
Check it out from the library. I do not think there is an ebook version. There are parts of the book that have odd formatting and would lose their intended impact in digital form.

Yep, no ebook and it's still $20 in paperback, even from Thriftbooks.  The library it is.
Be warned...it is a large book. It is 700+ large pages. I found myself unable to hold it upright for long (thank you, arthritis). Most of the time I read it at a table or used my lap desk.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10