News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

A miraculous performance of the Waldstein Sonata played by the gorgeous young Dutch pianist Lucas Jussen. It would be a joy just to look at him, even if the performance were less brilliant!

My favourite performance of the sonata No. 21 used to be by Rudolf Serkin, but this has displaced it.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 11, 2019, 12:25:40 PM

Thanks, I enjoyed that very much – I don't just appreciate classical music (for want of a better word).
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Don't be too sure of that
What makes you sure of that

Icarus

^ Thank you for that Hermes. 

There is indeed a developable skill for listening to music.  It is even possible to separate the sounds of a particular instrument within a large orchestral piece if you really try.

Bad Penny II

Icarus

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on January 13, 2019, 03:58:09 AM
Fun with the Bumblebee.............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGgUK2s-sqA

A wonderfully amusing performance of Rimsky-Korsakov's Flight of the Bumblebee. One of the funniest Spoonerisms was when an announcer somewhere called it the Bum of the Flightlebee. Rimsky-Korsakov was Stravinsky's mentor and also influenced Ravel, among other composers.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 14, 2019, 09:22:28 PM

That's interesting. I think it owes a big debt to experiments done by Boulez and Stockhausen many decades ago.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 15, 2019, 03:59:57 AM
That's interesting. I think it owes a big debt to experiments done by Boulez and Stockhausen many decades ago.

It's glitch music. I love it for some reason other people can't understand.

It's atrocious!
                - Dear mother

What the hell are you listening to?
                - Brother who only listens to Taylor Swift songs

Turn it off!  :la la la la:
                 - Best friend

Here's a favourite: