News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I'm thinking about joining a local gym. $10 per month for a basic membership that's available 24/7. I feel like strength training would be a big boost for me.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Recusant

Came across a study from Brazil the other day about what type of weight training helps with overall health.

"Ability to lift weights quickly can mean a longer life" | EurekAlert

QuoteProlong your life by increasing your muscle power. That's the main message of a study presented today at EuroPrevent 2019, a congress of the European Society of Cardiology.

"Rising from a chair in old age and kicking a ball depend more on muscle power than muscle strength, yet most weight bearing exercise focuses on the latter," said study author Professor Claudio Gil Araújo, director of research and education, Exercise Medicine Clinic - CLINIMEX, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. "Our study shows for the first time that people with more muscle power tend to live longer."

Power depends on the ability to generate force and velocity, and to coordinate movement. In other words, it is the measure of the work performed per unit time (force times distance); more power is produced when the same amount of work is completed in a shorter period or when more work is performed during the same period. Climbing stairs requires power - the faster you climb, the more power you need. Holding or pushing a heavy object (for example a car with a dead battery) needs strength.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on April 14, 2019, 11:47:11 PM
Came across a study from Brazil the other day about what type of weight training helps with overall health.

"Ability to lift weights quickly can mean a longer life" | EurekAlert

QuoteProlong your life by increasing your muscle power. That's the main message of a study presented today at EuroPrevent 2019, a congress of the European Society of Cardiology.

"Rising from a chair in old age and kicking a ball depend more on muscle power than muscle strength, yet most weight bearing exercise focuses on the latter," said study author Professor Claudio Gil Araújo, director of research and education, Exercise Medicine Clinic - CLINIMEX, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. "Our study shows for the first time that people with more muscle power tend to live longer."

Power depends on the ability to generate force and velocity, and to coordinate movement. In other words, it is the measure of the work performed per unit time (force times distance); more power is produced when the same amount of work is completed in a shorter period or when more work is performed during the same period. Climbing stairs requires power - the faster you climb, the more power you need. Holding or pushing a heavy object (for example a car with a dead battery) needs strength.

[Continues . . .]

I will raise a heavy glass to the good health of my fellow HAFers.  :cheers: Repeatedly.  :teadrink:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on April 14, 2019, 09:48:50 PM
I'm thinking about joining a local gym. $10 per month for a basic membership that's available 24/7. I feel like strength training would be a big boost for me.

That sounds damn good value. In the UK it would be £15 a month as an absolute minimum.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on April 15, 2019, 11:41:42 AM

That sounds damn good value. In the UK it would be £15 a month as an absolute minimum.

I wish there were more affordable gyms in our area. I'm a member of the bougie gym which is 50USD a month with the corporate discount. It's totally worth it though IMO.

JJ, I wholly recommend strength training. I've been doing the free weights for a few months now and it's great.     
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

I have a feeling I'll have to insist on just getting the basic plan. And insist, and insist, and insist... while they try to sell me on their better offerings.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: Buddy on April 15, 2019, 03:25:40 PM

I wish there were more affordable gyms in our area. I'm a member of the bougie gym which is 50USD a month with the corporate discount. It's totally worth it though IMO.

JJ, I wholly recommend strength training. I've been doing the free weights for a few months now and it's great.   

I have a new goal that I'm going to shoot for. I want to compete in a cage fight. At least one, just to see. And if I want to do that I'm going to have to get a looooot more athletic and overcome some injuries, old and new. I'm currently looking for a dance coach...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on April 16, 2019, 02:31:17 AM
Quote from: Buddy on April 15, 2019, 03:25:40 PM

I have a new goal that I'm going to shoot for. I want to compete in a cage fight. At least one, just to see. And if I want to do that I'm going to have to get a looooot more athletic and overcome some injuries, old and new. I'm currently looking for a dance coach...

Sounds like...fun?

I'm curious though, if you don't mind. Why do you want to compete in a cage fight? :notsure:

jumbojak

To see if I can do it and survive. I've been in street fights before but I recently realized that any fight like that isn't really a fight. It's an angry brawl that ends in shame and embarrassment for one or both people. A fight against a trained fighter seems like it would be different. I want the experience.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on April 16, 2019, 11:18:53 PM
To see if I can do it and survive. I've been in street fights before but I recently realized that any fight like that isn't really a fight. It's an angry brawl that ends in shame and embarrassment for one or both people. A fight against a trained fighter seems like it would be different. I want the experience.

Ok. I think I understand.

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 16, 2019, 11:22:40 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 16, 2019, 11:18:53 PM

Ok. I think I understand.

I think I do too but it's probably more due to being dropped as a baby.  ;D

Icarus

JJ, forget that bullshit cage fight stuff.  You are a talented, intelligent, productive, and creative man.  Proving or disproving your physical prowess, or barbarism, as the case may be, is a pursuit far beneath you dignity.

I am a second degree Blackbelt for Judo, a first degree black belt for Jiu Jitsu or as it is sometimes called Brazillian. One of the things that I have been taught  is that of all the martial arts, the "gentle way" is the mantra of Judo, Krag Maga, karate, Tai kwan do, Kung Fu and the rest.

One of the most rememberable lessons that I learned from the top ranking Judoka in the Americas was this:  He was asked why he did not  wish to fight.  His reply was: I am certain that I can run from a fight while holding the greatest of confidence. 

Buddy

Dumb question, but does England and/or other parts of Europe have rideshare services like Uber or Lyft?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on April 20, 2019, 05:38:04 PM
Dumb question, but does England and/or other parts of Europe have rideshare services like Uber or Lyft?

You're American, you're forgiven. We do have Uber and Lyft.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on April 20, 2019, 06:52:30 PM
Quote from: Buddy on April 20, 2019, 05:38:04 PM

You're American, you're forgiven. We do have Uber and Lyft.

Awesome. Thanks!