News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Spoiler tags, please...

Started by hackenslash, September 01, 2010, 02:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackenslash

I have a motive. Any implementation will do.
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Whitney

[spoiler:17u453zw]you mean like the one we already have on here?  lol[/spoiler:17u453zw]
[spoiler]you mean like the one we already have on here?  lol

Will

I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hackenslash

Testing...

Ah, the 'information' canard rears its ugly head once again (spoilers updated).

Information? [spoiler:kr3pljdx]From sand dunes, we can learn about prevailing wind directions over time and, in many cases, the underlying terrain just from the shape and direction[/spoiler:kr3pljdx]

Information? [spoiler:kr3pljdx]
Quote from: "Theropod"Dogshit. The dogshit can tell us what the dog ate, how much of it ate, how big the dogs anus is, how long ago the dog shat on your lawn, the digestive health of the dog, whether there are parasite eggs in the shit and contain traces of the dog's DNA we can sequence to identify the individual dog. Seems like a lot of information to me. It also seems like more than enough information is present to shoot your assertion down
[/spoiler:kr3pljdx]

Information? [spoiler:kr3pljdx]DNA is information in the sense that it informs us about the system, not that it contains a message. It is not a code, more something akin to a cipher, in which the chemical bases are treated as the letters of the language. There is nobody trying to tell us anything here, and yet we can be informed by it.[/spoiler:kr3pljdx]

Information (actually, I just decided that this is my new favourite example, because it is so informative)? [spoiler:kr3pljdx]ABout 1% of the interference pattern on an off-channel television screen is caused by the cosmic microwave background.[/spoiler:kr3pljdx]

Information? [spoiler:kr3pljdx]This is information in the sense that the squiggles represent more data than would be contained on a blank piece of paper, although even a blank piece of paper is information. In this example, information is defined as the number of bits it would take to represent it in a storage system. This is pure kolmogorov information.[/spoiler:kr3pljdx]

Information? [spoiler:kr3pljdx]Of all the information sources in this post, this is the only one that actually contains a message, and is therefore the only one to which Shannon information theory can be applied, as it is the only one that could actually decrease in terms of signal intergity.[/spoiler:kr3pljdx]

Which of the above are information?

Answer: All of them. They are just different kinds of information. :bananacolor:
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.