News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Point System?

Started by Sophus, November 22, 2008, 02:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

I remember seeing on another forum there was some sort of a point system where other members could attribute someone "points" (or something) when they make an excellent comment or such. Just a way to show who the most repect members are or whatever. I don't know if there would be an easy way to intigrate that into this forum by I thought I would throw it out there.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Whitney

Ah...the karma system.  The SMF forums have it as a default option.  I'm pretty sure phpbb has that as a mod.

The only downfall the the karma system is that some people abuse it in ways that disrupt civility.  If I can find a mod that allows us to have a karma system that says who did what (ie, you have to give a reason for your + or - when giving it)...I'll install it.  That's the only way I've seen it work in any meaningful manner.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "laetusatheos"Ah...the karma system.  The SMF forums have it as a default option.  I'm pretty sure phpbb has that as a mod.

The only downfall the the karma system is that some people abuse it in ways that disrupt civility.  If I can find a mod that allows us to have a karma system that says who did what (ie, you have to give a reason for your + or - when giving it)...I'll install it.  That's the only way I've seen it work in any meaningful manner.

Would it be possible to make a rule that says you can't "farm" or ask for karma points in your sig, PMs, posts, etc? Or maybe even just remove the ability to remove karma and keep it + only? Sounds like fun.  :banna:
-Curio

Titan

I think I would go negative pretty fast...I'm scared.
"Those who praise the light of fire, but blame it for its heat, should not be listened to, as they judge it according to their comfort or discomfort and not by its nature. They wish to see, but not to be burnt. They forget that this very light which pleases them so much is a discomfort to weak eyes and harms them..."
- St. Augustine

"The soul lives

Sophus

Quote from: "Titan"I think I would go negative pretty fast...I'm scared.
I agree. The idea of taking points away wouldn't be fair to theists. I just fancy adding them.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Whitney

Ok...I will assume the consensus is that I should implement a positive only karma system if I find a mod for it.  I like that better than having negative anyway.  I'll probably try to call it something other than karma too...brownie points or something silly like that.

Sophus

:hail: Merci beaucoup, my benevolent overlord.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "laetusatheos"Ok...I will assume the consensus is that I should implement a positive only karma system if I find a mod for it.  I like that better than having negative anyway.  I'll probably try to call it something other than karma too...brownie points or something silly like that.

Looking forward to it. :)
-Curio

McQ

Good ideas, Sophus and curio. Hopefully laetusatheos can find the mod for it. That could be fun. I'd give you both points for it, but I can't...yet.  :D
I
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

BuckAv

I am new here, but most other sites I have seen do well with the positive-only point system. You just have to be careful about too much post-whoring.

Sophus

Oh by the way, (You're probably capable of this yourselves but I thought it best to let you know just in case) if you guys happen to find one that needs a little tweaking let me know. I'm a PHP programmer and should be able to do what needs to be done.

curiosityandthecat

-Curio

Sophus

Curio, you magnificent bastard!

VanReal

I agree the positive is the way to go.  On one of my boards they are called "Thanks" and it's just a little thumbs up symbol for saying thanks for the post....but then again that's kind of like "giving thanks" hehe, so maybe no good here.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Whitney

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=559069

Cool..just have to wait for them to release the stable version...kinda like I've been waiting for them to do that with AJAX chat.