News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Discussão em português

Started by Tank, May 06, 2019, 01:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Here's the start. I don't think I'm getting "be" right:

A fazenda não be extravagante. O equipamento não be nova, o campos não be tratado, a animais be não perfieiota, e a oficina be incabado

(There may be issues with autocorrect fiddling with my spelling. Couldn't switch languages so there was a lot of tapping around to make it stop.)

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

I'm impressed you're trying to write sentences after so little time learning, JJ. :)

Just so you can help me help you, could you add exactly what you want to say, in English? With the exception of one word (looks more like an autocorrect typo) you used I understand what you're saying...you're off to an excellent start! :smilenod: 

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

English to be, loosely, translated into português:

The farm is not a fancy place. The equipment is not new, the fields are not perfectly groomed, the livestock are not perfect, and rhe shop is unfinished.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 19, 2019, 08:16:52 PM
English to be, loosely, translated into português:

The farm is not a fancy place. The equipment is not new, the fields are not perfectly groomed, the livestock are not perfect, and rhe shop is unfinished.

Yes, that's exactly it.  :thumbsup:

There are a few grammatical errors, but nothing so serious it makes the sentences unintelligible. I'll try my best to explain what you got wrong, but unfortunately I'm not good at that, I just know they are the way they are.  :shrug:

Vamos por partes. :grin:

-~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~-

The farm is not fancy.

A fazenda não é chique. ('chique' would be a better world than 'extravagante' in this context)

The farm is not a fancy place.

A fazenda não é um lugar chique

The equipment is not new

Os equipamentos não são novos

the fields are not groomed

os campos não são tratados

the fields are not perfectly groomed

os campos não são perfeitamente tratados

the livestock are not perfect

os animais não são perfeitos

You could also say something like: A pecuária não é perfeita. Pecuária is the word for 'livestock' whereas animais is a generic 'animals'.

and the shop is unfinished.

e a oficina está inacabada.

-~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~--~-~-~-

As for 'be'

Singular: é
Plural: são

jumbojak

Excellent! That's exactly what I needed.

xSilverPhinx

jumbojak

Still plugging away on my daily lessons. A special unit on você seems to be next. I'm still mad at myself for using be instead of é, but that'll pass I'm sure.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 23, 2019, 10:33:53 PM
Still plugging away on my daily lessons. A special unit on você seems to be next. I'm still mad at myself for using be instead of é, but that'll pass I'm sure.

The way Duolingo is set up, it's a lot of information for the learner to take in, almost at once, even if there's a lot of emphasis on pattern recognition there.

And don't be mad at yourself, it's through mistakes that we learn the most. ;)

jumbojak

Stupid duolingo is messing me up this time. I'm having to guess my way through the listen and type exercises because the frigging sound went out! >:(

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on May 26, 2019, 08:54:11 PM
Stupid duolingo is messing me up this time. I'm having to guess my way through the listen and type exercises because the frigging sound went out! >:(

First world problem.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

xSilverPhinx

Lesson of the day: how to express frustration or annoyance without swearing.

Aff (pronounced ah-ffy)

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

jumbojak

Learning to swear creatively might be the mark of true mastery in a language. I can give Shakespeare and Camoes a run for their money in English when I'm frustrated.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on May 28, 2019, 03:36:14 PM
Learning to swear creatively might be the mark of true mastery in a language. I can give Shakespeare and Camoes a run for their money in English when I'm frustrated.

I agree!  ;D

jumbojak

Having trouble with cozinho and cozinha. I feel like it's just gendered but not completely sure. Does it default to masculine if the subject isn't known to be a female?

So:

Eu cozinho o carne e ela cozinha um molho.