News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Students heckle campus preacher!

Started by MinnesotaMike, August 31, 2011, 05:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinnesotaMike

I walked into a crowd on the way back to my dorm, found out it was because of a preacher. In the winter, people throw snowballs, but seeing as it's early fall they decided to just form a mob. I ran back to my room, grabbed my camera, then headed back to film it. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu3zMFCnyBs

Realized I only had a 128mb card in my camera, ran back to the room, swapped for my 4g, ran back, and filmed part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6QbIcIOlXE

Apparently he left before five.

If anyone knows how to embed it, could you tell me how? Or if you're a mod, feel free to change it and then tell me how if I haven't logged in for a few days....
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Sweetdeath

First off, minnesotamike, you are so cute! XP

Thanks for sharing. College is such an awesome place. I'm glad to see so many students protesting these douchebags.  And you said these guys come around every year?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Pity there was so much heckling, I couldn't hear the preacher to well. You'llhave to get a few friends to interview him next time he comes. I loved the blond attention whore!! Waving her hair about like a shampoo model LOL!

We don't have an embedding function here at the moment so links are good.

I see you are a Top Gear fan!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Thanks, MM; I would have loved to be there.  :D

Whitney

We had a preacher on campus at ok state who went by the name "Preacher Bob" he would basically stand around telling everyone they were going to hell for being whores; especially women who were not modestly dressed (almost all college women) with hair shorter than shoulder length (about half of the women).  He drew large crowds of people just because they wanted to argue with him; no one took him seriously as far as I could tell (though he did make a girl cry one time; he was quite mean...like Westboro).  There was a rumor going around that he was actually a philosophy grad student performing a social experiment but despite my having known people in the philosophy dept I couldn't verify the rumor (though he could have been from a different university).  He left to go to another camput in my softmore year claiming God called him elsewhere.

I don't remember what he looked like well enough to pick him out of a crowd and it would have been about 8 years ago since i last saw him...if this guy goes by the same name it might be him; he looks about the right age.

Sweetdeath

Did the Campus security remove him?
How dare he call any woman a whore.  He has no fucking idea what women go through or went.
I.m surprised no one got physical with him. I probably would have.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

fester30

I went to Creighton University (run by Jesuit Catholics).  The president of the university is always a Jesuit priest.  When I was there, it was Father Morrison.  He would sit on the benches surrounding the water fountain in the middle of campus nearly every day for an hour or two, regardless of weather.  Students could and regularly would sit next to him and talk to him... about anything.  Absolutely no topic was off limits.  He was also very open-minded for debate, even of the religious sort.  It was a very positive experience.  He was very concerned about quality of life and education for students, and it's often how he learned of things like the need for certain lab equipment in the science department or better rec room in the dorms, and these things would often happen because of these conversations.  More religious leaders should be like Father Morrison, I think.

Sweetdeath

Yeah, that sounds really awesome Fester. ^_^ There are a few preists like that, but they are rare; like the one in  Ireland who became atheist, then started a support group for victims of the catholic church.

MinnesotaMike

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 31, 2011, 07:20:33 AM

I know  ;D

But on a side note... that person with the epic blonde hair was a guy. We went to the same high school (although he graduated a year younger than me). Knowing him, he was probably trying to act as flamboyant as possible to piss off the preacher. Quite a few people were, but I didn't get them on camera because this was going on for hours. I posted these videos on the SCSU Secular Student Alliance's Facebook page and became a member. First meeting is tonight, and honestly I'm excited because I've never been with any sanctioned secular group. Happy days man, happy days.

Tank

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on August 31, 2011, 08:55:01 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 31, 2011, 07:20:33 AM

I know  ;D
You're not as cute as the guy with the blond hair!  :D

QuoteBut on a side note... that person with the epic blonde hair was a guy. We went to the same high school (although he graduated a year younger than me). Knowing him, he was probably trying to act as flamboyant as possible to piss off the preacher. Quite a few people were, but I didn't get them on camera because this was going on for hours. I posted these videos on the SCSU Secular Student Alliance's Facebook page and became a member. First meeting is tonight, and honestly I'm excited because I've never been with any sanctioned secular group. Happy days man, happy days.
Good luck at the meeting!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Damn, that guy with the blonde hair has better hair than me!!  Envy~

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 31, 2011, 04:26:49 PM
How dare he call any woman a whore.  He has no fucking idea what women go through or went.

Thing that sucks is that if someone gets physical and violent on him, he gets what he wants. I see it as a form of martyrdom. Kinda like westboro - see, they attacked us for spreading the truth! See how they prove our point that they're evil and we're the better people??

Although that doesn't mean I haven't had violent thoughts when it comes to some of those assholes.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on August 31, 2011, 10:45:28 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 31, 2011, 04:26:49 PM

Thing that sucks is that if someone gets physical and violent on him, he gets what he wants. I see it as a form of martyrdom. Kinda like westboro - see, they attacked us for spreading the truth! See how they prove our point that they're evil and we're the better people??

Although that doesn't mean I haven't had violent thoughts when it comes to some of those assholes.

Yeah, I know. :(  If only we had flame vision.

Medusa

Quote from: Tank on August 31, 2011, 07:42:36 AM
I loved the blond attention whore!! Waving her hair about like a shampoo model LOL!

That aint no girl.

I noticed the coexist banner on the wall at the beginning. Is that the group there or was that just a cowinkydink etc?
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

MinnesotaMike

That has been up on the wall since I arrived here two years ago.

It should say this: