News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Living As Atheist?

Started by Exponential, November 22, 2010, 02:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exponential

Hi everyone,

Is there a purpose of the existence of the universe? or is there a goal in the existence of the universe in this way? I think this is the question that could differentiate between an atheist and a theist regardless of the deity that the theist would claim to be responsible for that.

Practically, an atheist "believes" in no afterlife. I mean he is not just "unsure" wether there is an afterlife or not as in the case with the agnostic, rather, S/he usually lives his/her life as if there is no afterlife.

Likewise, when it comes to the purpose of the universe. An atheist usually lives his/her life as if the universe has ,at bottom, no design, no purpose, no good, no evil, nothing but blind pitiless indifference. People who like to call themselves agnostics don't prefer to be called atheists because they don't share the same degree of certainty that atheists have about the universe and the afterlife.

As agnostic, I am not sure if there is an afterlife and a plan/purpose behind the universe as I am not sure if there is not also. I might have no problem with accepting atheism scientifically but emotionally I am wondering how atheist could continue his life if every thing is basically mechanical and there is no gap for mystery or a hope from beyond-self?

Thank you,

i_am_i

Quote from: "Exponential"Is there a purpose of the existence of the universe?  

I very much doubt that there is. Nope, no purpose. Anyway I find that it's a lot more interesting that way.

Everybody lives as an atheist, everybody. It's just that some people, from time to time, remember that they're dancing in what may be considered by some to be a no-dancing zone.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Cite134

Quote from: "Exponential"Hi everyone,

Is there a purpose of the existence of the universe? or is there a goal in the existence of the universe in this way? I think this is the question that could differentiate between an atheist and a theist regardless of the deity that the theist would claim to be responsible for that.

Practically, an atheist "believes" in no afterlife. I mean he is not just "unsure" wether there is an afterlife or not as in the case with the agnostic, rather, S/he usually lives his/her life as if there is no afterlife.

Likewise, when it comes to the purpose of the universe. An atheist usually lives his/her life as if the universe has ,at bottom, no design, no purpose, no good, no evil, nothing but blind pitiless indifference. People who like to call themselves agnostics don't prefer to be called atheists because they don't share the same degree of certainty that atheists have about the universe and the afterlife.

As agnostic, I am not sure if there is an afterlife and a plan/purpose behind the universe as I am not sure if there is not also. I might have no problem with accepting atheism scientifically but emotionally I am wondering how atheist could continue his life if every thing is basically mechanical and there is no gap for mystery or a hope from beyond-self?

Thank you,

Strange, I do not know too many atheists who are certain about the non-existence of an afterlife, including myself. Such concepts were created by human beings without evidence to support such claims, so I just disbelieved it. That doesn't mean that I know that it doesn't exist.

On another note, reality does not care about a person's feelings. For instance, I or any beloved family members of mine can die at any time. Will the death of a family member discomfort me? Sure. Will the universe suddenly stop expanding because my mother dies? Nope. I accept this as a reality, nothing I can really do to change that. Many atheists can and do continue to live on without such a purpose because there are things they still care about and cherish in their lives. A grand purpose isn't needed.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Exponential"Practically, an atheist "believes" in no afterlife. I mean he is not just "unsure" wether there is an afterlife or not as in the case with the agnostic, rather, S/he usually lives his/her life as if there is no afterlife.

Many, however, do.  Atheism ≠ rationality.

QuotePeople who like to call themselves agnostics don't prefer to be called atheists because they don't share the same degree of certainty that atheists have about the universe and the afterlife.

This isn't always true.  I am an agnostic atheist.  I do not claim to know that there is/are no god/s; however, I have absolutely no faith that there are any at all, and I am unconvinced by the "evidence" I've been presented thus far.

The problem with what you're saying is this: Gnosticism/Agnosticism addresses the state of a person's knowledge, or lack thereof.  Theism/Atheism addresses the person's belief, or lack thereof.  I've met a couple of agnostic believers before, believe it or not.  :P

QuoteAs agnostic, I am not sure if there is an afterlife and a plan/purpose behind the universe as I am not sure if there is not also. I might have no problem with accepting atheism scientifically but emotionally I am wondering how atheist could continue his life if every thing is basically mechanical and there is no gap for mystery or a hope from beyond-self?

Because my life is here already, and I've grown fond of breathing, no matter what happens when that breathing stops.  As I've said elsewhere, the period at the end of a sentence is part of what gives the sentence meaning.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Inevitable Droid

Quote from: "Exponential"I am wondering how atheist could continue his life if every thing is basically mechanical and there is no gap for mystery or a hope from beyond-self?

First, some people find mechanisms fascinating.  Such people will take a toaster or a radio apart out of sheer curiosity.

Next, there are plenty of mysteries available for empirico-logical investigation.  Science is exploring them.

Next, hope from beyond-self is available by focusing one's attention on the activities of heroic others, such as scientists, for example roboticists.

Finally, hope from within-self is also available, by taking on challenges, a great many of which are available for the attempting.
Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

Tom62

I think that most people are more concerned about the legacy they'll leave behind and whether people will remember them (after they died) than whether an afterlife exists or not.  The idea that I took good care of my loved ones and that they'll think about me when I'm gone, is much more important to me than the (non-)existence of an hypothetical afterlife.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

trexshinigami

Quote from: "Exponential"I might have no problem with accepting atheism scientifically but emotionally I am wondering how atheist could continue his life if every thing is basically mechanical and there is no gap for mystery or a hope from beyond-self?

I do think the universe is mechanical and meaningless but that doesn't mean I am.  I see it as I who assigns meaning and purpose, and just because that meaning doesn't go beyond me, it does not make it any less of an experience to enjoy.  I see beauty in the universe, I feel wonder when I look at the stars and I feel awe at the mystery of life on earth.  Just because the universe isn't emotional, that doesn't steal our experiences away or make them any less painful or pleasurable.  I can say with quite certainty that my emotions are alive and kicking.

Sophus

I really don't care about a legacy because I won't be around to care about anything once I'm dead. I'll never be immortal in any sense of the term so there's no sense in trying. Might as well enjoy this life.  :)
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

elliebean

[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "trexshinigami"I do think the universe is mechanical and meaningless but that doesn't mean I am.  I see it as I who assigns meaning and purpose, and just because that meaning doesn't go beyond me, it does not make it any less of an experience to enjoy.  I see beauty in the universe, I feel wonder when I look at the stars and I feel awe at the mystery of life on earth.  Just because the universe isn't emotional, that doesn't steal our experiences away or make them any less painful or pleasurable.  I can say with quite certainty that my emotions are alive and kicking.

:hail:

hunterman317

What in the hell does "after" have to do with "life"?
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence~
Bertrand Russell

The Government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian religion~
John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

Pray. Maybe the aliens will hear you~

hackenslash

Quote from: "Exponential"Hi everyone,

Is there a purpose of the existence of the universe? or is there a goal in the existence of the universe in this way?

None that we can discern. That's not to say that there is none, just that there is no evidential support for the postulate that there is.

QuoteI think this is the question that could differentiate between an atheist and a theist regardless of the deity that the theist would claim to be responsible for that.

No, the only question that could differentiate between an atheist and a theist (or more properly, the answer to which) is 'do you have an active belief in a deity?'

QuotePractically, an atheist "believes" in no afterlife. I mean he is not just "unsure" wether there is an afterlife or not as in the case with the agnostic, rather, S/he usually lives his/her life as if there is no afterlife.

Still making that category error, I see. Oh, and an agnostic what? Agnosticism says nothing about whether or not you believe in a deity, but is a position concerning the possibility of knowledge. Even if you label yourself agnostic, you're still either a theist or an atheist, which is a true dichotomy.

QuoteLikewise, when it comes to the purpose of the universe. An atheist usually lives his/her life as if the universe has ,at bottom, no design, no purpose, no good, no evil, nothing but blind pitiless indifference. People who like to call themselves agnostics don't prefer to be called atheists because they don't share the same degree of certainty that atheists have about the universe and the afterlife.

What degree of certainty? The only thing I, as an atheist, am sure of, is that I have no active belief in a deity. That says nothing about the actual existence postulate. Moreover, atheism is not a position on the purpose of the universe. Indeed, it isn't even a position. It's the absence of a position with regard to one specific class of claim. This is the most common category error I come across, and it is fallacious.

I don't believe that there is an afterlife (which is not the same as believing that there is none) but that is not a function of atheism, which is simply absence of belief in a deity.

QuoteAs agnostic,

Agnostic what? Do you have an active belief in a deity? If so, you are a theist. If not, you are an atheist. It's really that simple.

QuoteI am not sure if there is an afterlife and a plan/purpose behind the universe as I am not sure if there is not also. I might have no problem with accepting atheism scientifically but emotionally I am wondering how atheist could continue his life if every thing is basically mechanical and there is no gap for mystery or a hope from beyond-self?

No gap for mystery? Are you sure?

Again, this ia a category error. Atheism is nothing to do with 'mysteries' or 'hope' but is the absence of a single class of belief, and nothing more. In that light, the answers you will get to any question will vary from atheist to atheist, since the only thing they all have in common is the absence of belief in a deity. Sorry to keep beating you around the head with this simple fact, but it's a pet niggle of mine that nobody seems able to grasp it.

If you want mystery, there is mystery aplenty. In my view, the real mysteries are not those that theists fantasise about, but the real mysteries, such as why we can't get Relativity and Quantum Mechanics to play nice together. None of that has anything to do with atheism, however.

QuoteThank you,

You're welcome.
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: "Inevitable Droid"
Quote from: "Exponential"I am wondering how atheist could continue his life if every thing is basically mechanical and there is no gap for mystery or a hope from beyond-self?

First, some people find mechanisms fascinating.  Such people will take a toaster or a radio apart out of sheer curiosity.

Yep, those might see themselves as reading the mind of god, other than pointlessly speculating over what they don't know.

As for what others have said before, OP, you're doing two things: confusing the labels agnosticism (which is not weak atheism/theism) and atheism.

Thirdly, I believe that purpose is what we make it, but that does not mean expecting the universe to be what I want it to be.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

penfold

Quote from: "Exponential"An atheist usually lives his/her life as if the universe has ,at bottom, no design, no purpose, no good, no evil, nothing but blind pitiless indifference.

I don't like this kind of nihilistic view of atheism. I've been an atheist most of my adult life; and my reality is as richly tapestried in meaning as any theist's.

The cosmos is beyond full comprehension, we are but small temporary fragments of order within it. All that we know is the cosmos as experienced by us. And the human experience has design, purpose, good, bad, and even pity.

Whitney

Quote from: "Exponential"Practically, an atheist "believes" in no afterlife. I mean he is not just "unsure" wether there is an afterlife or not as in the case with the agnostic, rather, S/he usually lives his/her life as if there is no afterlife.

No...for example, atheistic Buddhists believe in an after life.

The only fact you can apply to the atheist label is that they don't believe in a god.  It has nothing to do with how certain they are about not having a belief.

edit:  just noticed that OP posted back in Nov 2010 and is probably long gone by now.