News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Hello from England

Started by Tank, May 06, 2010, 07:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Hi

Just one question to start! Are there many fundies around here?

Tank
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

elliebean

Hi Tank!

We have a few theists currently posting, but no fundies recently as far as I can tell.

Welcome to the forum.  :)
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Tank

Quote from: "elliebean"Hi Tank!

We have a few theists currently posting, but no fundies recently as far as I can tell.

Welcome to the forum.  :D

Being English your location 'DTW' does not mean much, where would that be?

I live about half way up the UK in Leeds, there is a Tank factory not far away, hence my username.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Is there a potted history of the origins of this place which I could read?

elliebean

The 'DFW' stands for the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas, which by a small stretch, includes my place of residence in Denton (aka little d). I suppose I could put 'DFW, TX' on there for clarification, but lately I've been changing all my other online profiles to be more specific. Just hadn't gotten around to updating this one yet.  :)

I'm not sure about the history, I haven't seen anything like that here. Mostly we just jump in to whatever discussions we find interesting and start posting. It helps to read a few first, to get a feel for the social atmosphere, but just posting and reading the replies is the fastest way to get to know the people here.
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

philosoraptor

Oh, fundies.  I've also heard them called cake eaters on occasion.  I think we scare those types, for the most part.

Welcome to HAF.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Tank

Quote from: "elliebean"The 'DFW' stands for the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas, which by a small stretch, includes my place of residence in Denton (aka little d). I suppose I could put 'DFW, TX' on there for clarification, but lately I've been changing all my other online profiles to be more specific. Just hadn't gotten around to updating this one yet.  :)

I'm not sure about the history, I haven't seen anything like that here. Mostly we just jump in to whatever discussions we find interesting and start posting. It helps to read a few first, to get a feel for the social atmosphere, but just posting and reading the replies is the fastest way to get to know the people here.
Ah! I understand now. In my experience DFW tends to have quite a high concentration of atheists when compared to the rest of Texas, is that the case?

I've found a Christian 'pj' and it's like home from home

Tank

Quote from: "philosoraptor"Oh, fundies.  I've also heard them called cake eaters on occasion.  I think we scare those types, for the most part.

Welcome to HAF.

Hi philo

:hmm:  Why 'cake eaters'?

McQ

Welcome, Tank. Now we have a "Tank" and a "Tanker" on the forum. Hope we don't mix you two up!
We get fundamentalists from time to time. It's difficult to find common ground for discussion. And by fundie, we get fundie from more than just christianity, btw. We do our best to live up to the forum name, but as you know, the tendency for intolerance and circular logic that come with the fundie mindset wears on even the most patient folks here.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Quote from: "McQ"Welcome, Tank. Now we have a "Tank" and a "Tanker" on the forum. Hope we don't mix you two up!
Yes! I spotted Tanker. I've dropped him a PM and if he's concerned I'll change my user name to Archer.

Quote from: "McQ"We get fundamentalists from time to time. It's difficult to find common ground for discussion. And by fundie, we get fundie from more than just christianity, btw. We do our best to live up to the forum name, but as you know, the tendency for intolerance and circular logic that come with the fundie mindset wears on even the most patient folks here.
I noticed the 'No Preaching' rule. Would that tend to be the fundie nemesis or do they just give up in the end?

philosoraptor

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "philosoraptor"Oh, fundies.  I've also heard them called cake eaters on occasion.  I think we scare those types, for the most part.

Welcome to HAF.

Hi philo

I have no idea.  It might be a local colloquialism.  My boyfriend's parents have always referred to them as cake eaters.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Tank

Quote from: "philosoraptor"
Quote from: "Tank"

Welcome to HAF.

Hi philo

I have no idea.  It might be a local colloquialism.  My boyfriend's parents have always referred to them as cake eaters.
Blast! Now I'll have to find out  

Next time you see your potential in-laws do ask them if you think of it  

elliebean

Quote from: "Tank"In my experience DFW tends to have quite a high concentration of atheists when compared to the rest of Texas, is that the case?
It would seem so. All the ones I know in person are in Denton, of course. It's a very different environment from Dallas and the surrounding areas. Denton's kind of like a small town that happens to have two universities and a relatively large (and rapidly growing) population. I live well in the ghetto.  :D

What sort of place is Leeds? I've heard of it, I think.

Tank

Quote from: "elliebean"
Quote from: "Tank"In my experience DFW tends to have quite a high concentration of atheists when compared to the rest of Texas, is that the case?
It would seem so. All the ones I know in person are in Denton, of course. It's a very different environment from Dallas and the surrounding areas. Denton's kind of like a small town that happens to have two universities and a relatively large (and rapidly growing) population. I live well in the ghetto.  :D

What sort of place is Leeds? I've heard of it, I think.

Leeds is a reasonably large city with a large University, lots of financial businesses and a history of manufacturing. In mid-Victorian times it was the largest producer of woollen cloth on earth, but I'm not old enough to remember that!

The wiki entry is a good place to start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds

Tank