News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Science image dump

Started by Claireliontamer, April 10, 2016, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

"Elemental teddy bears"? :lol: I just don't see it. They look like X's and V's to me...

Each one is a molecule of DNA with proteins that give the molecule stability. Pretty cool. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

joeactor

Dave

Interesting plot, Joe. Wondering what date if that it is, the UK population is higher than that currently. Though I will have to admit to my London ears I am not all all sure that those oop north actually speak the native tongue!

Over i billion English speakers if you include all those countries where it is an official alternative language, like India with its hudreds of regional languages.

Fascinating subject, my main 2005 college research project was on the future of English - which will probably turn out to be "Englishes" - as the true lingua franca. Gets all wrapped up in economics - which are not following the path predicted before 2008 . . . But it is still the language of the air and sea transport industries, plus the Internet of course. All of which the French absolutely detest (heh, heh, beh  :devil:)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tom62

Interesting, but why isn't Austria listed under German?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Gloucester on July 30, 2017, 03:29:08 PM
Though I will have to admit to my London ears I am not all all sure that those oop north actually speak the native tongue!

Shush yourself!

Arturo

What is that picture representing?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Claireliontamer on July 30, 2017, 04:15:48 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 30, 2017, 03:29:08 PM
Though I will have to admit to my London ears I am not all all sure that those oop north actually speak the native tongue!

Shush yourself!

Heh!

Actually many northern accents and dialects are probably closer to original English than what we soft, Latin and Norman French contaminated, sootheners speak. Except for the Scots of course :couchhide: 

hermes2015

Quote from: Tom62 on July 30, 2017, 04:07:29 PM

Yes, that is strange. I see there is a little + in the corner, so I assume it expands in the original.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 30, 2017, 05:57:42 PM

Yes, that is strange. I see there is a little + in the corner, so I assume it expands in the original.

Tried to find the original. Loads of links to Spsnish sites but none contain the graphic where I looked.

Not sure about the maths because we don't know the age of the graphic. In round numbers Austria had 9 million last year. From 78 subtract Germany's 70 and say 1 for the other two leaves 7 million - not quite enough but . . ..

Bad graphic proofing or summat.

xSilverPhinx

Whoops! :snicker:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Arturo on July 30, 2017, 04:29:06 PM

I think it's number of speakers (in millions) for each of the languages.

joeactor

It's a proportional pie chart of sorts showing how prevalent each language is in the world.

Here's a link to the full-size version:
https://i0.wp.com/latestabenfatta.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/a-world-of-languages.png

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on August 01, 2017, 08:57:13 PM

It's a proportional pie chart of sorts showing how prevalent each language is in the world.

https://i0.wp.com/latestabenfatta.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/a-world-of-languages.png

From that image I notice there are more segments marked "+", some quite large, with no explaination. So, looking at the labelled segments one wonders why Austria's 9 million, not insignificant, does not get its own bit.

Though, knowing the original date, one can check the figures in general but can one trust the whole thing enough to quote it if it leaves data out?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on August 01, 2017, 09:10:42 PM
Quote from: joeactor on August 01, 2017, 08:57:13 PM

From that image I notice there are more segments marked "+", some quite large, with no explaination. So, looking at the labelled segments one wonders why Austria's 9 million, not insignificant, does not get its own bit.

Though, knowing the original date, one can check the figures in general but can one trust the whole thing enough to quote it if it leaves data out?

Maybe the person who made that doesn't like Austria.  :rimshot: