News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Fool Us Twice? by Carl Pope

Started by Sandra Craft, December 10, 2011, 10:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Fool Us Twice?

I thought this was interesting (also liked the cartoon that went with it), a rundown on how the US got into its current mess and the Tea Party's insistence that more of the same will get it out.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

It's as if the problems faced by America and the rest of the world have become so large as to be incomprehensible to the average voter.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MadBomr101

What's incomprehensible to me is that anyone still votes Republican after the reign of King George the Corrupt.  The Tea Party?  Puhleeeze!  They're the walking punchline to a joke that isn't funny.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on December 10, 2011, 10:46:17 PM
It's as if the problems faced by America and the rest of the world have become so large as to be incomprehensible to the average voter.

I think our problems are incomprehensible to everyone.  We just muddle along and hope for the best possible result.  Things are so complex and interconnected now that it is essentially impossible to know what the consequences of a policy decision will be. I'm not sure that reason is any better guide in this environment than dumb luck or a cadre of drunk monkeys.  Flip a coin and hope for the best.

The Magic Pudding

What you guys need to do is arrange a war between India an China and then sell 'em stuff.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 11, 2011, 05:28:38 AM
What you guys need to do is arrange a war between India an China and then sell 'em stuff.

No. India and Pakistan, as China is the USA's biggest trading partner and our commonwealth ties to India and Pakistan would let us supply weapons to both sides. A win-win scenario  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on December 11, 2011, 10:53:29 AM
No. India and Pakistan, as China is the USA's biggest trading partner and our commonwealth ties to India and Pakistan would let us supply weapons to both sides. A win-win scenario  ;D

Ye but China can pay for stuff.
You'd have to give it to Pakistan.
This is the same reason I didn't suggest starting a war in Europe.
The parlous state of China/US trade is a major reason I'm promoting this action.
I do think things through before suggesting a major war you know.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 11, 2011, 11:40:57 AM
Quote from: Tank on December 11, 2011, 10:53:29 AM
No. India and Pakistan, as China is the USA's biggest trading partner and our commonwealth ties to India and Pakistan would let us supply weapons to both sides. A win-win scenario  ;D

Ye but China can pay for stuff.
You'd have to give it to Pakistan.
This is the same reason I didn't suggest starting a war in Europe.
The parlous state of China/US trade is a major reason I'm promoting this action.
I do think things through before suggesting a major war you know.
Which is more than can be said for George W Bush, Tony Blaire et al.

PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT! PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT! PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT! PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT! PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT! PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT! PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT! PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT! PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT! PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT! PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT! PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT! PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT! PUDDING FOR PRESIDENT!  ;D

OldGit

Quote from: The Magic PuddingWhat you guys need to do is arrange a war between India an China and then sell 'em stuff.

No, invade France.  No particular advantage to the US, but we Brits would love it.

The Magic Pudding

I vaguely remember the movie "The Mouse That Roared," that scenario could be a goer for Greece.

Pharaoh Cat

Rather than war between China and India - a space race between them.   ;)
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 12, 2011, 01:30:55 AM
Rather than war between China and India - a space race between them.   ;)
the plus side of a war is it could reduce the Earth's human population by several hundred million!  ;)