News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dave on September 14, 2017, 07:05:24 PM
QuoteEvery taco is hand rolled with exotic Mexican spices by genuine Mayan Virgins.
Or. Carlos, depending on who's available.

FrB, are they rolled on the roller's thigh, like the best Cuban cigars are supposed to be?

Yes they are, even Carlos's taco's are rolled on his thighs, but you want to get his early in the week just after he shaves his legs!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

Icarus was online today but didn't post so he's around.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on September 14, 2017, 09:47:55 PM
Icarus was online today but didn't post so he's around.

Good news, but I guess he will still have problems.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Hello everyone. I am back, a little weary but safe and sound.

That damned hurricane hit me dead center after all the meandering that it had previously done. By
the time it got to me in central  Florida it had lost some of its strength. We got 115 MPH winds that wreaked havoc with trees, roofs, and mobile homes.  We were lucky because some of the Islands like Saint Martins got 180 steady and 215 in gusts.  Those places are nearly totally not even there anymore.

I had boarded up all my windows, reinforced doors, and removed everything that could move from my yard.  I took my 16 foot sailboat off the trailer, placed it on the ground and filled it with water.  We had been freezing plastic containers of water for several days.  The purpose was to keep a few perishables for a day or two. Electric power went off early in the storm.  Millions of residents were without electricity.  At my house, we managed the  night with handheld flashlights, candles,  and some solar powered landscape lights from our yard.

The electric utilities companies throughout the states have an arrangement that is enormously helpful. Nine thousand electrical linemen came from all over the nation to help put our grid back together.   

Sure enough the internet was down. It just came back this afternoon.  Electricity came back late yesterday afternoon.  Whew. We are all happy as a clam to have our air conditioners working again. That's not all. With electric hot water heaters there were cold showers for a few days.  Our electric kitchen range and microwave oven was useless so we used the small gas fired bar b que  to heat soup or whatever was at hand.

In the aftermath the sound of chain saws is driving me nuts. Thousands of trees are down all over town. Just down the street a large oak tree was uprooted and fell on the cab of a nearly new Ford F150.  It is a total loss. Even the wheels were bent.   I lost part of a large oak in my backyard. It fell on a concrete wall and damaged the wall.  We had only a few deaths locally.  One of them a seven year old little girl .  The single mom had a small  generator running inside the house. Carbon Monoxide from the engines exhaust is deadly. Almost everyone who could get their hands on a generator did so.  Almost everyone knows that it is not to be used indoors.  Unfortunately not that Mom who is recovering in the hospital.

Three days before the storm the supply of bottled water was gone, No way you could buy a sheet of plywood, Every generator in Florida was sold out. Gasoline was impossible to get except for a few stations where waiting lines would be a quarter mile long.  With all that and a lot more we did alright. We will live to see another day.

Thank you much for thinking about me during the dangerous weather event. 

xSilverPhinx

Icarus!  :hug:

Glad to see you're ok!

QuoteWe had only a few deaths locally.  One of them a seven year old little girl.  The single mom had a small  generator running inside the house. Carbon Monoxide from the engines exhaust is deadly. Almost everyone who could get their hands on a generator did so.  Almost everyone knows that it is not to be used indoors.  Unfortunately not that Mom who is recovering in the hospital.

That is so sad. :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Glad you and yours are safe, Icarus.

So sad aoiut the little girl, that is such an easy thing to suffer without knowledge and when seeking just a crumb of comfort in such conditions.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Good to see you safe and sound Icarus.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 14, 2017, 10:10:13 PM
Icarus!  :hug:

Glad to see you're ok!

QuoteWe had only a few deaths locally.  One of them a seven year old little girl.  The single mom had a small  generator running inside the house. Carbon Monoxide from the engines exhaust is deadly. Almost everyone who could get their hands on a generator did so.  Almost everyone knows that it is not to be used indoors.  Unfortunately not that Mom who is recovering in the hospital.

That is so sad. :(

Very sad indeed. I can't remember the last time I saw a generator that didn't have warning stickers all over it. Might've been an older one or maybe the mom wasn't paying attention. Hell, she might've been illiterate. Still stupid.

Glad you made it oiut alright Gene.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Guardian85

Quote from: Icarus on September 14, 2017, 09:59:40 PM

In the aftermath the sound of chain saws is driving me nuts. Thousands of trees are down all over town. Just down the street a large oak tree was uprooted and fell on the cab of a nearly new Ford F150.  It is a total loss. Even the wheels were bent.

Not a great loss...  8)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tom62

I'm so glad that you are safe, Icarus
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dragonia

Me too!
Icarus, I thought of you the whole storm, as I was being kept up-to-date by my family in FL the whole time. They fared well also. But your power was out for a lot longer.
We have some homes in our area who just this morning got power back on. Ugh.
Anyway, I'm happy you're ok and back with us!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Biggus Dickus

Welcome back to the E-world Icarus, and glad to hear all is well with you...my wife has a lot of friends in Florida, three in Tampa Bay area, one in Ft. Myers and two in Miami.

We were keeping close tabs on them as the hurricane hit, and fortunately were able to receive updates after even when they lost power to know they were okay.

I don't understand these portable generator deaths anymore than I do other accidental, but avoidable deaths like leaving infants, small children in cars.

We've all heard the dangers yet they continue to happen. During the winters here in Michigan we'll inevitably have a couple deaths each year. Last winter there were two or three incidents here in the Detroit area during blizzard related power outages.

I did a quick search online, and there were something like 700 deaths in the US between 2004 and 2014 due to portable generators.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Sandra Craft

Glad you made it thru the storm, Icarus.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

No one

How does the sunshine state effect those wings, Icarus?