News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Death: An Atheist's Perspective

Started by Whitney, September 20, 2010, 02:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerie

Quote from: "tunghaichuan"Another good way to go would be a narcotics overdose; floating away in a beautiful dream.

Definitely an excellent way to go. Before the nausea and vomiting sets in of course.
Xtian marriage & parenting:
"...marriage and parenting sanctify you like no other...i want to saturate M and T's life with Jesus so that the see Him in tractors, disney movies, Trix, in the color pink, in dinosaurs, in mommy and daddy...and so on...."     ~billythebeliever (FSTDT)

Inevitable Droid

Carlos Castaneda once said, “Only the idea of death makes a warrior sufficiently detached so that he is capable of abandoning himself to anything. He knows his death is stalking him and won’t give him time to cling to anything so he tries, without craving, all of everything.”

That makes sense to me.  In the face of death, we can only live.  As for quantity, we can try and perhaps succeed to add some days to our lives by prudence, a youthful spirit, and serious exercise - but there is another way to add quantity, which is to add, instead of duration, density.  We can make our days dense with life.
Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

Goathead

Hmm... I have to say that it occurs to me... that if we are to live life from an atheistic perspective, the entire validation of life is negated. Think about it: the common street trash and the famous billionaire both meet the same end; afterwards they won't care how much they thrived or how much they suffered, because it will be no more. The same goes for the rational and irrational, the ones who love religion and the ones who fight against it; in the face of eternal nothingness, everything is made totally pointless.

True, you can say "oh, well, but we'll be remembered", but no you won't. Once your relatives are dead, not even the memory of you will continue on; you'll be less than nothing... no emotions, no thoughts, no memories; a non-existence which many consider worse than hell. Even if you became a hero and went down in history, eventually all the records would pass away, whether in a couple thousand years or a couple million. You can say "we'll just enjoy life in the moment"; fair enough. There's not much else you can do is there? You may as well have a little cheer before the end inevitably comes, which it will. That's your fate, one and all; you can accept that fact, or you can shrink away from it and try and cling to some vain "meaning", but either way it doesn't really matter. If we're to be strictly logical, then everything, love, hate, joy, anger... it all amounts to absolutely nothing in the end.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Goathead"it all amounts to absolutely nothing in the end.
Indeed. So live while you can and get as much out of it as you can. because when the ride is over, that's it.

Enjoy the ban.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.