News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald

Started by Recusant, November 11, 2015, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on October 03, 2018, 03:46:45 PMI was taught that, barring a few really supee pumped up ego in history, every was has had an economic basis - from the herder's grazing land to the last fossil fuel then food then water sources.

Soldiers are not responsible for causing wars, insdustrialists poke politicians into doing that.

"War is the continuation of politics by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Hmmm. While war may stimulate, the driving force of the US economy is innovation.  That, coupled with abundant natural resources and energetic people. And freedom, of course.  But war is a factor.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 04, 2018, 07:42:14 PM
Hmmm. While war may stimulate, the driving force of the US economy is innovation.  That, coupled with abundant natural resources and energetic people. And freedom, of course.  But war is a factor.

Innovation and war go hand in hand. I'm thinking arms races, here.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 03, 2018, 06:09:44 PM
Quote from: Dave on October 03, 2018, 03:46:45 PMI was taught that, barring a few really supee pumped up ego in history, every was has had an economic basis - from the herder's grazing land to the last fossil fuel then food then water sources.

Soldiers are not responsible for causing wars, insdustrialists poke politicians into doing that.

Yeah, but who drives the pokiticians really? "The People" sort if vote them in and get a few kickbacks, maybe, in social terms. But analysese what actually gets the cogs going - nice having a few more Momma-and-Poppa stores open etc. And a few other jobs. But it will be the Mega Corps that they want to attract - especially the ones with big military contracts lasting decades and paying trillions.

Those companies get to that size through the natural evolution of warfare, ad politics - one way or the other - is a factor, a stimulus in that evolution. As in tge way of such things the product (in this case war) becomes more important than the need for the product (the threat level).  How many recent wars have been started due to a perceieved threat level, some group think, picking the wrong side . . . ,

It has become a "manufactured" but non-the-less lethal entity in its own right supporting politicians and Mega Corps.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on October 05, 2018, 02:25:36 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 03, 2018, 06:09:44 PM

Yeah, but who drives the pokiticians really? "The People" sort if vote them in and get a few kickbacks, maybe, in social terms. But analysese what actually gets the cogs going - nice having a few more Momma-and-Poppa stores open etc. And a few other jobs. But it will be the Mega Corps that they want to attract - especially the ones with big military contracts lasting decades and paying trillions.

Those companies get to that size through the natural evolution of warfare, ad politics - one way or the other - is a factor, a stimulus in that evolution. As in tge way of such things the product (in this case war) becomes more important than the need for the product (the threat level).  How many recent wars have been started due to a perceieved threat level, some group think, picking the wrong side . . . ,

It has become a "manufactured" but non-the-less lethal entity in its own right supporting politicians and Mega Corps.

I'm not going to defend warfare, but I think what Clausewitz implied was that wars should be fought for political goals and war for the sake of war can be disastrous. To me, it seems like the US actively seeks out war, even the 'war on terrorism' (which is just as weird as saying 'the war on drugs' btw) just seems like an excuse to keep the military cogs going.

War seems to be a great investment.

Of course there are powerful groups lobbying for these investments, and I doubt it's their sons and daughters, brothers and sisters who get sent to do the actual fighting, but how did they get to be so powerful in the first place?

Ecurb Noselrub

Looks like Flake, Manchin, and Collins are all voting to confirm, with only Murkowski voting "no".  That means Kavanaugh will be confirmed.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 05, 2018, 08:59:32 PM
Looks like Flake, Manchin, and Collins are all voting to confirm, with only Murkowski voting "no".  That means Kavanaugh will be confirmed.

I expected it, but really hoped otherwise.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

So, Trump didn't get the Nobel Peace Prize. Is he ranting on Twitter about how it's a fake award or an award for losers yet? :lol:

Essie Mae

Quote from: Sandra Craft on October 05, 2018, 09:31:43 PM

You poor poor people. America seems more polarised than ever now.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Tank

Quote from: Essie Mae on October 06, 2018, 11:20:44 PM

I wonder what's happening over there too :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on October 07, 2018, 08:11:14 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on October 06, 2018, 11:20:44 PM

Perhaps we will see some good protest art being born under these conditions. Some enduring work, especially in music, was produced during the Vietnam war years. Who will be the contemporary Joan Baez or Bob Dylan?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/readers-poll-the-10-best-protest-songs-of-all-time-141706/country-joe-and-the-fish-i-feel-like-im-fixin-to-die-rag-173632/
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

SidewalkCynic

Quote from: Tank on October 07, 2018, 08:11:14 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on October 06, 2018, 11:20:44 PMYou poor poor people. America seems more polarised than ever now.

The inadequately organized government is deteriorating exponentially, because of the tremendous diversity that the nation has evolved to. Eventually, the sane people are going to realize that we need to reorganize the government using the advanced technology that we have that the founders and subsequent generations did not have to organize a robust government for such a diverse society.
If there were a god, then it would have revealed itself to me. There has never been anything more important in the history of Mankind than what I am delivering - scientific collation theory for the organization of technology.

xSilverPhinx

joeactor

Space Force ala Sinatra, with a classy hint of F-Bomb...
It's Fly Trump to the Moon!

(and on The FuMP)
https://thefump.com/music/song/fly-trump-to-the-moon