News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What the fuck is wrong with being gay?

Started by ForTheLoveOfAll, March 02, 2011, 03:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: missedtheboat on May 11, 2011, 04:27:58 PM
I'm wondering the same thing, too! What is so bad about being gay? Let me give you a bit of a story here.

My husband's family are super religious. He has two cousins, let's call them "C" and "G". C is one of the leaders at his church. His brother is G, who is also a super religious christian, and was best buds with his brother. Well G decided to come out a few years ago, which caused a lot of drama. C didn't want to talk to him, didn't want anyone in the family to talk to him. Told him he needed to find god, blah blah. C has finally started talking to G, but it definitely isn't what it used to be. Recently C's wife called G to make sure he knew where the line was, by telling him when they have kids G is not allowed to come to their house.

Now, here is the kicker. We just found out that C's new best friend is a registered sex offender, where from what I read is from raping 12-16 year olds. They do everything together, and they know all about his past. Yet, his gay brother is the bad guy?! My mind is blown.
Some Christians get virtually orgasmic with joy if they have a ex-evil friend who turns to Jesus. My Sister and Brother-in-law were ecstatic when a murderer joined their congregation! That's not to say criminals can't reform, some can. But my mind has been equally 'blown' by the hypocritical behaviour of my sister.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

missedtheboat

Quote from: Tank on May 11, 2011, 05:36:04 PM
I'm wondering the same thing, too! What is so bad about being gay? Let me give you a bit of a story here.

My husband's family are super religious. He has two cousins, let's call them "C" and "G". C is one of the leaders at his church. His brother is G, who is also a super religious christian, and was best buds with his brother. Well G decided to come out a few years ago, which caused a lot of drama. C didn't want to talk to him, didn't want anyone in the family to talk to him. Told him he needed to find god, blah blah. C has finally started talking to G, but it definitely isn't what it used to be. Recently C's wife called G to make sure he knew where the line was, by telling him when they have kids G is not allowed to come to their house.

Now, here is the kicker. We just found out that C's new best friend is a registered sex offender, where from what I read is from raping 12-16 year olds. They do everything together, and they know all about his past. Yet, his gay brother is the bad guy?! My mind is blown.
Some Christians get virtually orgasmic with joy if they have a ex-evil friend who turns to Jesus. My Sister and Brother-in-law were ecstatic when a murderer joined their congregation! That's not to say criminals can't reform, some can. But my mind has been equally 'blown' by the hypocritical behaviour of my sister.

Wow, that's crazy! I think that is what C thinks he is doing, helping him find god and turning his life around. However, he has already caused a lot of flare ups with our family(before we knew he was a sex offender) so I don't really see him as a someone who has turned around, he just comes off as a horrible person all together.

It just bothers me that his gay brother(who wouldn't hurt a fly) isn't allowed around their kids, but an sex offender is totally cool!

So have you tried to talk with your sister about how weird her situation is, or just leave it be?

Tank

Quote from: missedtheboat on May 11, 2011, 06:08:52 PM

Wow, that's crazy! I think that is what C thinks he is doing, helping him find god and turning his life around. However, he has already caused a lot of flare ups with our family(before we knew he was a sex offender) so I don't really see him as a someone who has turned around, he just comes off as a horrible person all together.

It just bothers me that his gay brother(who wouldn't hurt a fly) isn't allowed around their kids, but an sex offender is totally cool!

So have you tried to talk with your sister about how weird her situation is, or just leave it be?
I don't talk to my sister, she's a complete bitch.  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

missedtheboat

Quote from: Tank on May 11, 2011, 06:33:01 PM
Quote from: missedtheboat on May 11, 2011, 06:08:52 PM

I don't talk to my sister, she's a complete bitch.  ;D

HA! totally understandable!

original_gender

Sexual orientation is a ridiculous concept to begin with. If the proles weren't accosted with exclusively mixed-gender imagery from birth, the term wouldn't even be topic worthy. People need people; we are all more than capable of satisfying each others needs – gender preference is just another invasive tentacle belonging to the octopus of indoctrination.

YoungAtheist

For the american values thing, what they mean is that children will get gender roles confused. (I myself find it stupid for hating gays in any way, it is something they are not able to control) If a man in a homosexual relationship does what a woman does in a heterosexual relationship, some people think that their children will be confused with what the role of the man or woman is. Its a stupid reason but really it all points to one thing, that a
god" created man to love woman and vice versa. It is a stupid reason but sadly people tend to believe it.
There was a time then religion ruled all of Europe, this was called the Dark Ages.

Medusa

I was in a Lesbian relationship from the ages of 19-27. I was truly in love with this woman. And we wanted to share our lives together. I finally figured out I was just frightened of men. But I still hold to a lot of lesbian and gay friends and support them 100% in their fight for equality!
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Tank

Quote from: Medusa on July 30, 2011, 11:06:59 AM
I was in a Lesbian relationship from the ages of 19-27. I was truly in love with this woman. And we wanted to share our lives together. I finally figured out I was just frightened of men. But I still hold to a lot of lesbian and gay friends and support them 100% in their fight for equality!
Lol! I cannot imagine you  being frightened of anybody  :D

Medusa

Quote from: Tank on July 30, 2011, 01:42:16 PM
Quote from: Medusa on July 30, 2011, 11:06:59 AM
Lol! I cannot imagine you  being frightened of anybody  :D
Well. At one point I was a victim of men at a very young age. Took me a while to get these claws.  ;)
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Black36

Quote from: fester30 on May 08, 2011, 06:07:15 AM
I think part of the problem is that the people who are homophobic (or racist, sexist, etc) that are also religious get their viewpoints and news and such from a very sheltered perspective.  If you only spend time outside the home in church, or spend time in the home watching only Fox News, you will only find support for whatever views you hold.  One aspect of Christianity (I don't know about other religions, but I was a Christian for 33 years) is that most churches demand that you don't even watch questionable movies or hang out with questionable people.  Buy questionable, I mean those people that might lead someone down the "wrong path."  Preachers teach their sheep to stay away from non-Christian influences, saying that you can only spend so much time near the fire before you get burned.

Right now, there are a lot of people I work with (Air Force) that actually believe that waterboarding led to the killing of Osama Bin Laden.  The former Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, as well as many other sources, have shown this to be wrong.  However, if you get your news from only one place, and if you get your indoctrination from one source....
Doesn't this work both ways? If one only gets their info from indroctrinating liberal or secular sources, they will then be influenced towards those views, no?

Whitney

Quote from: Black36 on August 20, 2011, 03:57:43 PM
Doesn't this work both ways? If one only gets their info from indroctrinating liberal or secular sources, they will then be influenced towards those views, no?

What is indoctrinating about getting news from non-religious sources aka secular?  One can be conservative or liberal and prefer secular news sources.

Anyway...I agree on the liberal part; that's why I cross reference important news against all major sources...it tends to weed out the fluff.

But American conservative new.... ::cough:: FOX ::cough:: ....is pretty insane as far as pushing right wing view go.  Though I have noticed that CNN is getting worse...recently they purposefully ignored covering a live speech of Ron Paul's in favor of yapping about other candidates.   I wish there was more just pointing the camera and recording news and less commentary across the board.

Black36

Recusant

Quote from: Whitney on August 20, 2011, 04:03:58 PM...But American conservative new.... ::cough:: FOX ::cough:: ....is pretty insane as far as pushing right wing view go.  Though I have noticed that CNN is getting worse...recently they purposefully ignored covering a live speech of Ron Paul's in favor of yapping about other candidates.   I wish there was more just pointing the camera and recording news and less commentary across the board.

Off Topic: Jon Stewart Scolds Media For Ignoring Ron Paul

It's not just CNN. Fox is just as guilty in this particular case.

As for "liberal media," my opinion is that bigotry should not be promoted by any media, left or right.  And by the way, there are "conservatives" who realize that there is nothing wrong with being gay. As well, there are "liberals" who find gay people disgusting. Just because the more vociferous anti-gay element in US society happens to be mostly affiliated with the right doesn't mean that it is necessarily a tenet of right-wing thinking that gay people are "deviant" and should be treated as such. I know for a fact that there are conservatives who support the right of gays and lesbians to marry.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Xjeepguy

I remember in the days after 9/11 seeing Jerry Falwell on either faux news or 700 club blaming homosexuals and the ACLU for the attacks. He obviously, as usual, was looking for another excuse to spread his bigotry, and found one regardless of it's absurdity. That guy is a jackass.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

DaemonWulf

The best connection I see out there is when the homophobes claim being gay is directly connected to being a pedophile. As if there's any logical connection between the two. Those are the people I would indulge in violence against, if I were to beat anyone up for their beliefs... but I won't. But to claim some link between an action you disagree with and the most abhorrent type of criminality, blows my mind and disgusts me.

On a separate note, the fact that Ron Paul was demonized as a conspiracy nut in 2008 and is being ignored by the media now speaks volumes to me about how bad off this country is. I thought in '08 that he was the only candidate I could actually agree with and believe in, and he didn't even make it as far as Hillary, for cryin out loud. Just sad.
So I wonder this, as life billows smoke inside my head; this little game where nothing is sure... why would you play by the rules? - Dave Matthews