News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

New Tenn. Law Clears Way for Teachers To Question Science

Started by Ali, April 12, 2012, 08:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/04/11/tennessee_evolution_law_allows_creationism_intelligent_design_in_the_classroom.html?from=rss/&wpisrc=newsletter_slatest

QuotePaging the ghosts of Clarence Darrow and William Jennings Bryan: Tennessee has a new law on the books that allows teachers to discuss alternatives to mainstream scientific theories in the classroom, including intelligent design.

Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam allowed the bill—which easily passed the state's House and Senate—to become law on Tuesday by neither signing nor vetoing it, the Memphis Commercial Appeal reports.

The new law bars schools and administrators from prohibiting teachers from "helping students understand, analyze, critique, and review in an objective manner the scientific strengths and scientific weaknesses of existing scientific theories covered in the course being taught." But, as the effort's critics have been quick to point out, the only examples the legislation gives of "controversial" theories are "biological evolution, the chemical origins of life, global warming, and human cloning."

The law does not allow teachers to present the alternative theories on their own, as Reuters notes, but they must discuss them if mentioned. Critics of the law dubbed it the "monkey bill," after the 1925 prosecution in Tennessee of John Scopes, a science teacher who broke state law at the time by teaching evolution.

The law's supporters, including the Knoxville-based Center for Faith and Science International, argue that it promotes critical thinking skills. But opponents, who include the American Association for the Advancement of Science, Tennessee Education Association, the American Civil Liberties Union, and the National Association of Biology Teachers, argue that the new rules are essentially allowing teachers to depict evolution and global warming as scientifically controversial subjects, when the actual controversy surrounding them comes from the political and religious spheres, not from scientists.

As Nature notes, the separation of church and state bars school from promoting religion in the classroom, which generally keeps creationism and intelligent design on the sidelines of biology classes. But the Tennessee law represents a victory for a strategy to circumvent that limitation. Groups like the Discovery Institute, who advocate for the teaching of intelligent design, have depicted evolution as a scientifically controversial topic in order to make space for alternative theories in the classroom.

In 2008, Louisiana passed a similar law that provides even more leeway for teachers to bring nonscientific alternative theories into the classroom. As the Christian Science Monitor explains, Louisiana's Science Education Act allows teachers to bring in supplemental materials in addition to science curriculum textbooks while discussing subjects "including, but not limited to, evolution, the origins of life, global warming and human cloning."

What do you think of this?  Assuming that the teachers are honest science teachers who are actually presenting help analyzing and critiquing the theories using valid scientific thought and logic, I don't have a problem with it.  What I worry about is the fact that it's Tennessee, and that even the science teachers may present the info in a way that is skewed by their religion, rather than using the scientific method.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: The Ali on April 12, 2012, 08:17:17 PM
What I worry about is the fact that it's Tennessee, and that even the science teachers may present the info in a way that is skewed by their religion, rather than using the scientific method.

Ye-aahhhhhh. This.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Excellent! Another nail in the coffin of American science education! Go Europe!!!

That was a joke.

Take out the Excellent! and Go Europe!!! and it's no longer a joke.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

What do you think of this?  Assuming that the teachers are honest science teachers who are actually presenting help analyzing and critiquing the theories using valid scientific thought and logic, I don't have a problem with it.  What I worry about is the fact that it's Tennessee, and that even the science teachers may present the info in a way that is skewed by their religion, rather than using the scientific method.
If you'll pardon my french, that's a big f**king if!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 12, 2012, 10:00:29 PM

Well it's hard, because you don't want to make it so that students/teachers can't analyze and question current scientific theories and findings.  That goes against the very idea of science!  It's just a question of how you make sure that science teachers are actually using the scientific method to go about it.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: The Ali on April 12, 2012, 10:15:34 PM

Well it's hard, because you don't want to make it so that students/teachers can't analyze and question current scientific theories and findings.  That goes against the very idea of science!  It's just a question of how you make sure that science teachers are actually using the scientific method to go about it.

Or that they have an even rudimentary understanding of what the scientific method is.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 12, 2012, 11:45:47 PM
Quote from: The Ali on April 12, 2012, 10:15:34 PM

Or that they have an even rudimentary understanding of what the scientific method is.

I agree, this comes first.

If they do, and they know evolutionary theory beyond high school level well enough, Tennessee should have nothing to fear. ID is a weak idea and will not stand to scrutiny.

But of course they're going for the schools, it's where the most vulnerable and impressionable are. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

What do you think of this? 

I think if I were raising kids, I'd feel compelled to home-school them.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Anne D.

Unbelievable.

I wonder if Tennessee science teachers will be encouraging students to investigate the strengths and weaknesses of the theory of gravity. Perhaps an undetectable intelligent designer is using undetectable, super-strong strings to keep everything attached to the earth's surface. That's my unfalsifiable, completely unscientific "theory" that I would like given equal time in the science classroom.

The theory of evolution is "just a theory" in the same way that the theory of gravity is "just a theory." There is no competing scientific explanation.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Anne D. on April 13, 2012, 02:29:45 AM
Unbelievable.

I wonder if Tennessee science teachers will be encouraging students to investigate the strengths and weaknesses of the theory of gravity. Perhaps an undetectable intelligent designer is using undetectable, super-strong strings to keep everything attached to the earth's surface. That's my unfalsifiable, completely unscientific "theory" that I would like given equal time in the science classroom.

The theory of evolution is "just a theory" in the same way that the theory of gravity is "just a theory." There is no competing scientific explanation.

Well yeah, that's pretty much string theory, isn't it? ::)

Anne D.

DeterminedJuliet

Guardian85

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 13, 2012, 02:37:59 AM
Quote from: Anne D. on April 13, 2012, 02:29:45 AM
Unbelievable.

Well yeah, that's pretty much string theory, isn't it? ::)

Saw that one coming....

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

OldGit

OMFSM, what a disaster.  It was designed to be misused, not to foster any thinking skills.

The distance between the two groups in the US is getting terrifyingly wide and deep.  Don't forget, Americans, that it took decades to reach the breaking point in 1861 and many believed, right up to the end, that war would not happen.  I hope the liberal faction is savvy enough to jump on anything that looks like military preparations, before they can happen.

EDIT: joeactor just posted this one in the Image Dump.  Hope you don't mind my using it, joe...

history_geek

Quoteallows teachers to discuss alternatives to mainstream scientific theories in the classroom, including intelligent design.

That. Right there.

It's okay for teachers to say that there are alternative ideasg. It's okay for teachers to encourage independent researching of these ideas and even provide starting points where one could find info on them. But this.....

Now where's that video about that teacher who teaches creationism/ID in biology class. This law is tailored for that guy....
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i