News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Santa Claus!

Started by TheOGMamaBear, August 03, 2010, 01:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

Santa is a close, personal friend of mine. He's real, and he gives me toys!
 :D
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Quote from: "McQ"Santa is a close, personal friend of mine. He's real, and he gives me toys!
 :D
Now that's just Hal talking isn't it. Go get McQ and get him to type please Hal or I'll have to come in there and pull your chips out.

[youtube:3qi5ck7f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px0c4Tgg6gg[/youtube:3qi5ck7f]
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

TheOGMamaBear

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"Wow a two year old and twins! Did you lose it?

I'm having so much trouble with my toddler...
No we still have all three.

My wife got very bad post natal depression. There were days I would get home from work to find all four of them crying and have to sort them all out. But one copes and things get better (allegedly)  ;)

How old is toddler? Are we talking terrible twos?

I had post partum with my first. The day my husband had to go back to work I called him 2 minutes after he left begging him to come home. It was nuts.

Oh and we are talking terrifically terrible atrocious twos.

She's a monster.
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

Don't we all love Mark Twain?

TheOGMamaBear

Quote from: "Martin TK"Three children, all grown, two sons and a step-daughter,  and now two grands and I believe it is all good fun to play Santa.  My first wife and I cherished those years, and they go by so fast, as Tank said, we have a lifetime to be skeptic, but so few years to believe in magic.  I wouldn't trade those precious times for anything in the world, and you won't either, trust me.

Just an old man's humble opinion, but sometimes there really is value in the wisdom of experience.  At least I like to think so.  Peace and good luck.

Martin

I think that is a good idea.

We are also a low key family. We don't like consumerism but love family. I want christmas to be special but not just revolving around gifts, but about winter and fun and playing with your imagination!
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

Tank

Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"Oh and we are talking terrifically terrible atrocious twos.

She's a monster.

So you have two kids, and the younger one is giving you grief?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

TheOGMamaBear

I have two kids, and the older (2.5 years) is giving me trouble. I also have an 8 month old, also a girl.

Tank

Quote from: "TheOGMamaBear"I have two kids, and the older (2.5 years) is giving me trouble. I also have an 8 month old, also a girl.
Oh shite! Yep. The terrible two's combined with competition and sidelining! Not a good combination. All I can say is that in my experience things do improve.

NothingSacred

It's nice to let kids play prentend. I remember in 2nd grade I had a teacher who for st patty's day put leprechaun prints all over the class room and we took out or magnifying glasses and tried to find him. We had green cookies and wrote him letters. All of the magic and mystery of it was fun and exciting. I don't think kids should miss out on that. I wasn't really big on santa but I loved animals and the reindeer really made my day.
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices -William James
Anything worth knowing is difficult to learn- Greek Proverb
what if god ain't looking down what if he's looking up instead-Ani difranco "what if no one's watching

Katieâ„¢

We do Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, all that stuff. We never go through extremes to make our kids believe or anything though. We don't leave any evidence that Santa was really there for example. Pretending that all of those things exist only lasts a few short years, your kids are definitely going to learn the truth. We plan on using it as an example of how lots of people can be 100% sure in their minds that something exists but that doesn't make it so. So far all of my kids still believe but I think this is going to be the last year my 8 year old does. Hopefully he doesn't spoil it for the younger ones like my brother did to me.  lol For now were are having fun pretending with them.

Oh I forgot to mention but obviously all of these things are done in a secular fashion. Which always leads to my kids being a tad confused when my family sings Happy Birthday to Jesus at Christmas. Then my catholic grandma just about has a coronary. Ah fun times.

Explorer

I can see this thread is aging a bit, but I thought I'd drop in my 2c, since nobody else has said it quite:

We have two, aged 10 and 8.  We have Santa, Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy.  So far they seem to still believe for the most part, but Miss 10 has started asking questions.  We can be quite harsh about irrational belief in God in our conversations between ourselves.  Miss 10 has picked up on this and the parallel with Santa.  When she drew the parallel out loud, we didn't say that Santa does or doesn't exist, we asked her the question:  What do you think?  If Santa isn't real, where do the presents come from?   We present the evidence for Santa and let her decide.

Bear in mind that she's used to being challenged with ridiculous statements, so she knows not to take all oral arguments at face value.  If she did, she would have to believe that she'll be served snails (they eat them in France, with garlic butter), roasted for dinner (you're fattened up enough now), sold into slavery (little blonde girls are worth lots in the middle east), or made to get a job (you're just too expensive to feed) any day now.  Needless to say, she's not falling for any of that.  

It's so hard to tell whether she really has figured it out, or not.  After all, if mum and dad are happy to give you extra presents on behalf of a pretend person, why kill the (imaginary) goose that lays the golden eggs?  I'd like to think she knows, but she's playing along so that her brother doesn't have to find out too soon.  I'd like to think he's doing the same for her.  Wishful thinking perhaps.  Who knows.

The Magic Pudding

I hope miss ten gets more fun from the Santa fantasy, that's what fantasies are for.
And I hope you don't loose the hobbit.