Its better to be older than younger in class

Started by Stevil, November 01, 2011, 05:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

Tank

The issue of August babies has been known about allegorically for years. What is interesting is there is a lifelong measurable effect.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

My own experience partially supports this study. My son (7) is an August baby and it was evident from day 1 that he was disadvantaged. He has continuously strived though and finds himself averagely placed in the class for reading, writing and maths. Confidence is fragile though.

My belief is that the key to minimising the ill-effects of this is in the embracing of an 'effort' rather than 'comparative results' culture. This is not easy to do as it is natural for children to compare themselves with their peers. I'm not sure how prevalent this 'effort' notion is - (my wife and I invested in a 'positive parenting' course which promoted this approach). The result is (hopefully) a child who can more readily acknowledge their own ability to improve with effort, without an inevitably negative comparison with older peers. Many studies have shown that greater improvements are made if effort is rewarded rather than results.

As time goes on, the gap does seem to be narrowing. I cannot tell whether this is a direct result of positive parenting, a natural anomaly or (most probably) a combination of factors, but something keeps him moving in right direction. While the study (linked by Stevil above) implies that all efforts are futile, I suspect that not all teaching styles may have been considered. At least, I refuse to accept defeat. But I do recognise that, due to the age gap, the resulting reinforcement of inferiority throughout early years cannot fail to be a negative influence.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Stevil

Why can't they split things up in half, so at most only have a 6 month difference.
e.g. Kids born from July to December have a school year that starts in January through to December and have kids born Jan to Jun have a school year that starts in July through to June.

OldGit

Good idea, but it might be difficult to manage in practice.  There was an item about the August babies issue on BBC R4 this morning.  It was suggested that we might look at the way in which  the kids' confidence gets undermined.  One point was that we could be assessing potential rather than just achievement.

Willow

Quote from: OldGit on November 01, 2011, 10:17:44 AM
Good idea, but it might be difficult to manage in practice.  There was an item about the August babies issue on BBC R4 this morning.  It was suggested that we might look at the way in which  the kids' confidence gets undermined.  One point was that we could be assessing potential rather than just achievement.
How can one assess potential?  Crystal ball perhaps?
We don't send our kids to school, so it's not so much of an issue.  I was a September baby though.  Not just that but the oldest in my class.  Boy did I let everyone know it: oldest = best.

xSilverPhinx

This worries a bit, my niece was born in September, almost at the end of the school year here.  :o
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

unholy1971

Sgtmackenzie

It all depends on the child too, and how much the parents have invested (time not $$$) and continue to invest in teaching their children HOW to learn.

NatsuTerran

Very interesting. I am an August baby and I have continually expressed my distaste with being put into school so early with my mom. I have always felt behind everyone else which hindered self-esteem throughout the entirety of my school experience. It also hurts doubly in that I'm a male and mature slower than females. I'm a late bloomer as well, which may or may not be related to this.

I'm in college now and I absolutely love it, but the thing is I am the oldest in my college classes, or at least at an equal age. I took breaks from school because I always hated feeling younger and less experienced than everyone else. This really confirms the resentment I've had towards being put into school early throughout my whole life.

Ali

My husband has mentioned this as our son is a June baby (not quite as bad as an August baby) and boys tend to be even further behind than girls.  I was always extremely skeptical about it - seemed like something for those Competitive Parenting types (my kid HAS to be the biggest, smartest, most developed, et cetera)  However, I will say that he is one of the youngest in his preschool class, and I actually can tell where he is behind a lot of his older classmates in some areas (social skills, self care skills, et cetera).  So now my feeling is just that we will see how he is when he is 5.  If he still seems to be behind most of his preschool classmates by the end of pre-K next year, maybe we'll keep him out an extra year and let him start when he's 6.  If he seems about where everyone else is by then, then we'll go for it.  Honestly, I would rather send him to K as soon as possible (don't hate! Pre-school and daycare are farking expensive!) but if he genuinely seems like he's not ready then we will wait. 

Siz

A well recommended child development expert, Steve Biddulph (Author of 'Raising Boys' amongst others) is a staunch supporter of holding late boys back a year. After reading this we were keen to follow his suggestions with our (early August) boy. Alas, the powers that be in this country (England) do not allow it. Rules are rules. I guess that's education for the masses!

Anyway, an update on my sons progress - now in year 3 (7.5 yrs) he is doing very well and has caught up brilliantly. There would appear to be no obvious signs now of any disadvantage, but I do wonder if the psychological patterns etched by an evident inferiority in the early years may have lasting influence in terms of confidence and a willingness to compete. I guess we'll never know the real cause of this aspect of his personality. At least academically we seem to be bucking the trend, so it's not a foregone conclusion.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Wessik

This is very strange. I was, for all intents and purposes, an august baby, and yet I soared above my classmates before they could even get out of the gate. Was placed in gifted and talented programs, all honors, and graduated with a 3.56 GPA.

I think, however, the key difference that allowed me to completely overwhelm my fellow peers in ability boils down to one factor: One's ability with words. Linguistic capability simply can not fail to produce smart, intelligent individuals, no matter what one's age. The fact that I was reading whole books before my fourth birthday probably had something to do with it, as well. :D
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!

Ali

I was a July baby and didn't ever have a problem.  But of course it depends on the child.  Statistical trends are just that - they don't take into account individual differences. 

Willow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on January 19, 2012, 11:44:15 PM
A well recommended child development expert, Steve Biddulph (Author of 'Raising Boys' amongst others) is a staunch supporter of holding late boys back a year. After reading this we were keen to follow his suggestions with our (early August) boy. Alas, the powers that be in this country (England) do not allow it. Rules are rules. I guess that's education for the masses!

It is perfectly legal to put off starting school in this country.  Compulsory education age starts the term after a child's fifth birthday, so not until the beginning of year one for summer babies.  The big disadvantage is that if you want your child's name in the nat for the best schools, you have to start at the beginning of reception (UK kindergarten).  And of course school is not compulsory.  Some small schools have mixed year-age classes too.
x
Willow.