News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.

Started by Tank, July 30, 2018, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

I don't really know why it wasn't successful. I probably would have used the largest f-stop on the lens, because at that distance the depth of field would not have been a big issue. Did you use the Auto ISO setting? Did you disable the flash? In this situation you should not use flash.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Those were shot at f/5.6, the largest aperture the kit lens has available, with the ISO manually set to 3200 and 1600, respectively. The flash was not used. In fact, I have yet to find a situation where the onboard flash is preferable to other adjustments to give a proper exposure. I never use it.

I wanted a higher f-stop to help the auto focus a bit. The AF-S lenses are a bit... slow, and it spent a fair amount of time hunting for clarity. It seems that a higher f-stop, and the increased depth of field leads to quicker shots. In the end I had to focus, switch the lens to manual focus to lock the focus ring, and remember to readjust when I moved.

Quick question about your D750; how do you turn off the auto focus? Is it a menu you have to page through on the LCD, or is there a switch somewhere on the camera body? Asking for a friend...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on December 31, 2018, 04:30:54 AM
Those were shot at f/5.6, the largest aperture the kit lens has available, with the ISO manually set to 3200 and 1600, respectively. The flash was not used. In fact, I have yet to find a situation where the onboard flash is preferable to other adjustments to give a proper exposure. I never use it.

I wanted a higher f-stop to help the auto focus a bit. The AF-S lenses are a bit... slow, and it spent a fair amount of time hunting for clarity. It seems that a higher f-stop, and the increased depth of field leads to quicker shots. In the end I had to focus, switch the lens to manual focus to lock the focus ring, and remember to readjust when I moved.

Quick question about your D750; how do you turn off the auto focus? Is it a menu you have to page through on the LCD, or is there a switch somewhere on the camera body? Asking for a friend...

I have the older D600. There is a lever on the camera body that switches between manual and auto focus (marked AF/M). On the lens itself there is also a switch to select between the two modes. On top of this, one can also choose AF-A, AF-S, or AF-C on the camera body or the onscreen menu. I prefer AF-C. I guess the D750 behaves the same.

I haven't noticed any effect on focusing speed when I use different apertures on the D600.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I could be imagining things. Wouldn't be the first time.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Damnit, now I'm going to have to go out at night with a stopwatch to test this. Or maybe I should setup in the kitchen. Going out at night would be more interesting but might confound my results.

jumbojak

Is the weird orange glow running on the power lines chromatic aberration or is something else going on? It's a high voltage transmission line. You can see the tower on the right of the photo.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on January 09, 2019, 09:23:46 PM

Is the weird orange glow running on the power lines chromatic aberration or is something else going on? It's a high voltage transmission line. You can see the tower on the right of the photo.

I don't think it is chromatic aberration. It could be corona discharge.
― Charles Eames

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 10, 2019, 03:07:47 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on January 09, 2019, 09:23:46 PM

I don't think it is chromatic aberration. It could be corona discharge.

Could you point me to some information regarding corona discharge's relationship to photography? I Google until my thumbs were sore but only found general explanations of the phenomenon.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on January 10, 2019, 01:08:23 PM
I can't make out the power lines at all.

If you follow the tower on the right towards the left of the phot you'll see something "hanging" just below the tree canopy. I don't know, it might be the cloud color bleeding through.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on January 14, 2019, 03:22:19 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 10, 2019, 01:08:23 PM
I can't make out the power lines at all.

If you follow the tower on the right towards the left of the phot you'll see something "hanging" just below the tree canopy. I don't know, it might be the cloud color bleeding through.

I think it's the cloud colour myself.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

I finally found the time to finish converting my old Nikon 50mm f1.4 non-AI lens to fit on my D600 body. These are some shots I took with the lens wide open at the full aperture, f1.4. What is immediately obvious is the extremely shallow depth of field of only a few millimeters, which means focusing on the important part of the subject is absolutely critical. All the rest is a beautiful, creamy blur that I like a lot. The maximum aperture is f16, when the focusing will be less critical.

It is going to be good for available light shots, because the lens grabs tons of light at f1.4.

The front and back of the bowl are both out of focus.

― Charles Eames

Bluenose

Great photos, Hermes.

I love available light photography.  Having had an f 1.2 lens on my old Minolta SLR, after my trip to the UK, I spent my frequent flyer points on a Canon f1.4 lens for my Canon EOS 600D.  Joy of joys!  I'm able to take shots in candle light, around the camp fire and in just ordinary room lighting.  So much more atmosphere than using a flash.  Yummy!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

Is there any reason you pick the focus point where you do or is it just what feels right?

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on March 05, 2019, 01:03:14 AM
Is there any reason you pick the focus point where you do or is it just what feels right?

The only rule I follow is to focus on what feels right, or which part I want to show clearly. These were just test shots to show selective foreground and background blurring at f1.4.
― Charles Eames