News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Can you say "SNARFLE-BURGERS"?

Started by rickrocks, April 27, 2012, 01:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickrocks

Far be it from me to say "bless you" when someone sneezes. And "gesundheit" is just the most trite alternate choice. So I figure, if we can have a choice, why not a choice of my choosing, if you will? And so, to announce for the first time in public, that I have decided to change my personal world, to make it more personal. From this day forward, til the next time I get a bright idea about it, I have resolved, when someone sneezes or makes a similar health-related sound or utterance, that I shall strike a blow for levity in reason by saying...

SNARFLE-BURGERS!

...because there is anecdotal evidence that bringing a smile to someone's face can help that person feel better.

I encourage the saying of "snarfle-burgers" when ever the thought occurs. I also encourage the composition of your very own special words to use entirely as you see fit. Isn't self-determination great?

Tank

Do you know the history of the word Quiz?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

There are at least two theories about that.

Quotequiz
1847, quies, perhaps from L. qui es? "who are you?," first question in oral exams in L. in old-time grammar schools. Spelling quiz first recorded 1886, though it was in use as a noun from 1867, perhaps from apparently unrelated slang word quiz meaning "odd person" (1782, source of quizzical). The anecdote that credits this word to a bet by the Dublin theater-manager Daly that he could coin a word is regarded by authorities as "doubtful" and the first record of it appears to be in 1836 (in Smart's "Walker Remodelled"; the story is omitted in the edition of 1840).

Note that the first explanation contains a flaw in that the Latin should be quis es?, but that shouldn't harm the suggested derivation.

BTW I think SNARFLE-BURGERS is an excellent idea.

rickrocks

Thanks for your kind attention, you oldgit!

OldGit

Grundle-framps to you, my good sir, may your whoppets never frimple.

Amicale

Snarfle-Burgers has a fun ring to it! So does Snarfle-Boogers, as in, 'quit snarfling those boogers!' when someone sneezes.  :D

When someone does sneeze, I've been known to say 'gesundheit', which just means good health -- but it's a sincere wish to get better ASAP so they feel better, and don't give their cold to anyone else.  ;)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

Amongst friends we use the old Sienfeld joke "You are sooooo good looking!"

En_Route

I am apt to ejaculate"Festering barnacles!" whenever taken by surprise.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on April 27, 2012, 09:04:19 PM
I am apt to ejaculate whenever taken by surprise.

It's funnier like this.

Amicale

I am apt to ejaculate"Festering barnacles!" whenever taken by surprise.

If you're ejaculating festering barnacles, I'd recommend seeing your doctor, pronto.  :D I can't see you, or any partners you have, enjoying that experience.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on April 27, 2012, 09:28:18 PM
I am apt to ejaculate whenever taken by surprise.

It's funnier like this.

Funnier even still and rather more accurate is:

I am apt to ejaculate whenever.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

rickrocks

Being a Python fan, I am prone to ejaculate, "Shut your festering gob, you tit!"

The Black Jester

Quote from: rickrocks on April 28, 2012, 02:10:23 AM
Being a Python fan, I am prone to ejaculate, "Shut your festering gob, you tit!"

QuoteYour type really makes me puke, you toffee-nosed, maloderous pervert!
...is my personal favorite.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Jimmy

Snarfle-burgers does sound humorous.

What I do more often than not is, as soon as I sneeze, I say, "excuse me" before anyone can bless me. Very often, no one will follow up an "excuse me" with a "bless you." When other people sneeze, I tend not to say anything, because I'm a jerk like that :p
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

rickrocks

Really! I mean whose initiative should it be, anyway? Why are the rest of us obligated to come up with some platitude when somebody makes an impolite noise and spews germs all over? Shouldn't the offender take the initiative?

Next time I sneeze, *I'm* saying SNARFLE-BURGERS!

It's only sociable.