News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Atheists are christians

Started by Jonesboy, February 19, 2012, 04:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonesboy

Atheists are christians because both believe that forms are given to us. For christians, forms are given magically. For atheists forms are there all along - just like magic..

Amicale

Quote from: Jonesboy on February 19, 2012, 04:13:10 AM
Atheists are christians because both believe that forms are given to us. For christians, forms are given magically. For atheists forms are there all along - just like magic..

You'll have to explain yourself. What do you mean by 'forms'? Also, how does it follow that because X believes they get something one way, and Y believes they get something another way, X actually is Y? Atheists don't believe we're given anything by magic. We don't, in fact, believe that anyone IS 'giving us' "forms" or anything else. :)

Edit: I see the last time you posted was November, and I joined well after that, so a warm hello to you!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Amicale on February 19, 2012, 06:10:42 AM

You'll have to explain yourself. What do you mean by 'forms'? Also, how does it follow that because X believes they get something one way, and Y believes they get something another way, X actually is Y? Atheists don't believe we're given anything by magic. We don't, in fact, believe that anyone IS 'giving us' "forms" or anything else. :)

The only one who's ever given me forms was the Government, and I definitely don't think they're magic.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

The Magic Pudding

I'm a Big Rabbitarian and I take much offence at anyone suggesting otherwise.
Why does the moon and planets have big holes in them?  Big Rabbit.
Why do comets have tails?  Big Rabbit.
Big Rabbit explains all, Christians got nothen.

pytheas

people are people because they cast incongruous blabber throughout history

If you need to label modern western morality, then quasi-stoic is a befitting term, the appropriate modus operandi the paulists adopted since they could not negate it and replace it with the limited appeal of exogenous oppressor judotribalism.

A gene's "afterlife" is not a belief. it is extractable in a test tube from a long dead corpse as physical matter encoding from protein to an organism.

is the image of visual perception in the visual cortex "given" to "us" ?

How insecure and pathetic must we be to desperately assign overseeing agent and sovereign recipient in one stroke?

"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Recusant

Atheists are christians because both believe that forms are given to us.

Nice to see you back, Jonesboy. I see you've created your own idiosyncratic definitions of both Christianity and atheism. Well done. I do wonder whether they have any real utility, however.

Quote from: Jonesboy on February 19, 2012, 04:13:10 AMFor christians, forms are given magically. For atheists forms are there all along - just like magic..

The first sentence may have some truth value, but I think that as it stands, the second needs to be elaborated upon. Are you up to that?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Guardian85

That statement is so nonsensical I don't know of a way to shoot it down without sounding like a condecending ass...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Huh.  I learn something new about myself every day.  My parents will be so pleased.

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

En_Route

Isn't this a textbook syllogism? Such as:

People who are mentally disturbed post in this forum
You post in this forum.
Therefore you are mentally disturbed.

Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on February 19, 2012, 05:31:06 PM
You post in this forum.

Wait, you mean that isn't true?

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on February 19, 2012, 05:46:46 PM
Quote from: En_Route on February 19, 2012, 05:31:06 PM
You post in this forum.

Wait, you mean that isn't true?

The first sentence is certainly true.  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

DeterminedJuliet

Well, if you're going to say everything's caused by magic, there really isn't anyway to argue against that.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 19, 2012, 06:12:54 PM
Well, if you're going to say everything's caused by magic, there really isn't anyway to argue against that.
Penn & Teller may dispute that  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2012, 06:45:50 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 19, 2012, 06:12:54 PM
Penn & Teller may dispute that  ;D

+1! ;)

I love Penn & Teller's Bullshit. I've heard from friends that Teller is apparently very kind and very funny when you meet him in person, too. Bonus! A good friend's mom got several pictures of the two of them together, goofing off and stuff, when she went to a show in Vegas.