News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What do you value more than happiness?

Started by Pharaoh Cat, December 23, 2011, 07:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wessik

Our values are closely correlated with our state of mind, including happiness. For example, a man who values loyalty unto death may kill himself. A man who values rebellion and anti-authority might steal. It is my belief that these two associations--what we value and our state of mind--are closely related. In my opinion, then, the value of "happiness" over all things leads to a state of mental hedonism.
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!

Siz

Quote from: Wessik on January 18, 2012, 10:12:37 PM
Our values are closely correlated with our state of mind, including happiness. For example, a man who values loyalty unto death may kill himself. A man who values rebellion and anti-authority might steal. It is my belief that these two associations--what we value and our state of mind--are closely related. In my opinion, then, the value of "happiness" over all things leads to a state of mental hedonism.

Not if your happiness is derived from alturism or even just leading a respectful life.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

pytheas

people are not even conscious of their motivational driving parameters.
all behaviours of volition  and accepted repeated  automated responses eventually
signal dopamine and cause some type of joy, contentment, relief.

being here mr chance is a happy operation
altuistic investment
stoic self sacrifice
masochistic abstinence
all sorts of distorted suffering
as well as the simple smelling of a jasmine flower

and egoic self-fulfilling conscious direct joy seeking, is the most fleeting, least satisfying and short-acting of them all
somehow please us , satisfy us
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE